Thread: A wildcard IF the Jets lose Holmes

All Pro

A wildcard IF the Jets lose Holmes

With all the free agent discussion concerning Santonio Holmes and what options would be on the market should they lose him, one option is out there that has not been talked about here: Steve Smith.

Steve Smith is not a free agent but is absolutely on the trade block. He is fed up with playing on poor Carolina teams with putrid QBs and has demanded a trade. The feeling is that the Panthers, who are rebuilding with a rookie QB, will move him for the right price. Smith is in his 30s and knows that he does not have a lot of time left to win a Super Bowl. He wants to go to a team that can win now.

If Holmes becomes too expensive, Smith would be a cheaper alternative who will be supremely motivated and hungry. Remember Randy Moss on the Raiders? Remember Randy Moss on the Patriots? Steve Smith will explode for whichever team trades for him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Dude, every possibility has been talked about here, including Smith.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Dude, every possibility has been talked about here, including Smith.
    Sorry, I missed it.

NFL Network has reported that Steve Smith has not reported to the team's head quarters this morning so either he is delusional or knows that he will be traded sooner or later.

All Pro
    Of all the veteran names thrown around, Smith is by far the most appealing.

His numbers have slipped, but that is clearly attributable to awful QB play and a lack of other weapons in Carolina. The defenses are all over him each week, and Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore et all are just terrible.

Would much rather have Smith than Ocho, Moss, Burress, etc ... All of those guys are less productive than they once were, but Smith, to me, has the best chance of resembling his old self in NY. Also the best locker room guy of the bunch, even if he did once deck a teammate.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    Of all the veteran names thrown around, Smith is by far the most appealing.

His numbers have slipped, but that is clearly attributable to awful QB play and a lack of other weapons in Carolina. The defenses are all over him each week, and Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore et all are just terrible.

Would much rather have Smith than Ocho, Moss, Burress, etc ... All of those guys are less productive than they once were, but Smith, to me, has the best chance of resembling his old self in NY. Also the best locker room guy of the bunch, even if he did once deck a teammate.
    since this is a football thread and it is already open, what about sidney rice?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Agreed, the guy is tough and a stud. Reminds me a lot of Coles when he was viable.

All League
    Smith would definatley be a solid plan B if we lose Holmes, he would compliment Braylon and Cotchery very well.

My only issue is what will Carolina be asking for him. We have traded alot of draft picks the past few years and it would be nice to actually go into the draft with atleast our first 3-4 picks. If the asking price is reasonable then I think they should do it, but if they want a 2nd rounder I say pass and go after a Burress, Moore or even the other Steve Smith (NYG) in Free Agency.

what about going after sidney rice if we lose holmes or braylon?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron View Post
    what about going after sidney rice if we lose holmes or braylon?
    Sidney Rice has a ton of talent but is a major injury risk.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Smith would definatley be a solid plan B if we lose Holmes, he would compliment Braylon and Cotchery very well.

My only issue is what will Carolina be asking for him. We have traded alot of draft picks the past few years and it would be nice to actually go into the draft with atleast our first 3-4 picks. If the asking price is reasonable then I think they should do it, but if they want a 2nd rounder I say pass and go after a Burress, Moore or even the other Steve Smith (NYG) in Free Agency.
    He's holding out, and Carolina is now at the beginning of a major rebuilding effort. It makes sense for them to move him and move on.

My hunch is that the cost of acquiring him won't be too much more than the comp pick we receive for losing Tone or Braylon. A third, at most.

Banned
    Smith would definitely be a great option if we lost out on both Holmes and Braylon but I think we're at the very least keeping Braylon. I think what you're going to end up seeing happening is the Jets resigning Braylon and a CB (either Cro, Aso or Joseph). That probably means that won't be able to also get Smith who wouldn't cost more than a mid-round pick but still makes bank.
    Last edited by TerminatorJet; 07-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Banned
    His current cap number is very high 8-9 mil I believe. No to trade. If cut... Maybe

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Smith would definitely be a great option if we lost out on both Holmes and Braylon but I think we're at the very least keeping Braylon. I think what you're going to end up seeing happening is the Jets resigning Braylon and a CB (either Cro, Aso or Joseph). That probably means that won't be able to also get Smith who wouldn't cost more than a mid-round pick but still makes bank.
    Steve Smith is a 32 year old ANGRY, under sized receiver...pass.