Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texans outsmart Tanny!!

All League

Texans outsmart Tanny!!

While Nmamdi is certainly a great corner and it looks more and more like the Jets will get him, I think the Texans outsmarted the Jets by dropping out of the Nmamdi sweepstakes, signing a great-young CB in Joseph, and using the savings to sign a good safety.

Given the Jets problems on the front seven and at safety and at WR, Joseph would have been a better sign than Nmamdi. With the savings, they get something else to fill out the roster.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... digitydog outsmarts his favorite bone by leaving the room and chewing on a lesser bone in the other room ...

l_j_r

All League
    DUMB DUMB

All League
    thats twice tanny got f-ed this week.....the redskins didnt get Holmes and turned right around and stole K. Clemens right out from under Tanny's nose!!!

All League
    The Bills outsmarted Tanny too by stealing Brad Smith.

Back to the cellar we go.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    While Nmamdi is certainly a great corner and it looks more and more like the Jets will get him, I think the Texans outsmarted the Jets by dropping out of the Nmamdi sweepstakes, signing a great-young CB in Joseph, and using the savings to sign a good safety.

Given the Jets problems on the front seven and at safety and at WR, Joseph would have been a better sign than Nmamdi. With the savings, they get something else to fill out the roster.
    Only if Nnamdi signs elsewhere will Mikey T have egg on his face. The Jets were not in the cards for any player that has already signed. Smart move is to concentrate on putting together the best CB duo in the history of the game, while other teams are overpaying for players.
    Chargers contract to Weddle? Assinine
    Panthers to Beason? Assinine
    Now that teams need to spend 90% to the cap, agents are having a field day!
    Sign Nnamdi- Let the dust settle (Free agency started with 460 free agents!)
    They were not all signed yesterday.
    When the dust does settle, there will plenty of players stranded with no contract looking to play for a winning organization, fortunately for us the Jets are now one of those teams.
    Mikey T hasn't even approached guys to rework contracts, Mark Sanchez has already stated he will rework his deal.
    It sucks waiting to hear about the Nnamdi decision but I honestly feel with this many free agents looking for a home..........patience will win out.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

So you'd take Matt Ryan over Peyton Manning because if you sign Ryan you can bring in another player or 2?

Hall Of Fame
    the dog might have spent just a bit too much time with the likes of imbecile sec227

Veteran
    they can have Joseph. While I think he's a good player, IMO he's too fragile. has missed a lot of games over his career

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    thats twice tanny got f-ed this week.....the redskins didnt get Holmes and turned right around and stole K. Clemens right out from under Tanny's nose!!!
    Those dirty bastids!

Charter JI Member
    The point being missed here is that the Jets were on the good side of a sham this time. The opposite of Reggie White using the Jets for more money away, the opposite of Winfield using the Jets for more money away, The Texans were used to try to get more money from the Jets...

All League

Honest question -- do you feel Joseph is good enough to "leave on an island" the way we will with Aso? If Revis/Aso each guard their man with NO help, it really is the equivalent of having an "extra guy" on the field who can do things NO OTHER TEAM could do (since he'd be needed to double someone).

So in a way, we would be getting "Aso and another player" -- it's just that player is already on the team . . .

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    they can have Joseph. While I think he's a good player, IMO he's too fragile. has missed a lot of games over his career
    not only that, and this point has been made a number of times, if we were to acquire him, it would have cost us amost 10 million a year...for another million or two per, we will get aso....still would rather try and figure out how to get cro and braylon back but seeing how much joseph got, 12 mil for aso doesn't seem as outrageous as it first did

Veteran
    Joseph and Hall weren't exactly shutdowns for Cincy. He was good, but not 5-48 mill good. or whatever it was. A Revis/Aso combo would be something nobody has ever seen and is exactly what Rex's D would need to become the best it's ever been. Tanny was good to let Joseph go and make a run at Nnamdi. If it doesn't work out, we'll get Cro. Tanny, keep it up

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Joseph and Hall weren't exactly shutdowns for Cincy. He was good, but not 5-48 mill good. or whatever it was. A Revis/Aso combo would be something nobody has ever seen and is exactly what Rex's D would need to become the best it's ever been. Tanny was good to let Joseph go and make a run at Nnamdi. If it doesn't work out, we'll get Cro. Tanny, keep it up
    what I meant to say was, 'tanny, don't F this up'

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    So you'd take Matt Ryan over Peyton Manning because if you sign Ryan you can bring in another player or 2?
    Let's take age (and injuries) out the the equation: you have the choice of signing:
    1. A young Joe Montana, but it takes up all your money; or
    2. A young Steve Young for less money. Thus, you can use your savings to sign Jerry Rice.

When you have limited resources (as imposed by the salary cap), you cannot overspend at one position to the detriment of your other positions. If the Jets have young, cheap WR's, DL, LBs and Safeties they can count on, Nmamdi is the better sign. If, as I believe, they have other problem positions to fill, Joseph is the better sign b/c of the flexibility his slightly lower contract offers.

Note - if Joseph isn't good enough to be a good shutdown QB, I agree my argument fails. A Young Joe Montana and no cap flexibility is certainly better than a young Tavares Jackson and cap flexibility.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 07-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Let's take age (and injuries) out the the equation: you have the choice of signing:
    1. A young Joe Montana, but it takes up all your money; or
    2. A young Steve Young for less money. Thus, you can use your savings to sign Jerry Rice.

When you have limited resources (as imposed by the salary cap), you cannot overspend at one position to the detriment of your other positions. If the Jets have young, cheap WR's, DL, LBs and Safeties they can count on, Nmamdi is the better sign. If, as I believe, they have other problem positions to fill, Joseph is the better sign b/c of the flexibility his slightly lower contract offers.

Note - if Joseph isn't good enough to be a good shutdown QB, I agree my argument fails. A Young Joe Montana and no cap flexibility is certainly better than a young Tavares Jackson and cap flexibility.
    Aso is HOF material. Jopseph? come on!

Hall Of Fame
    You make it sound really dumb, but its not.

All League
    Aso is HOF material. Jopseph? come on!
    The question is not Aso v. Joseph head up. I don't think that is in dispute.

The question is "Is Joseph good enough - opposite Revis?" If so, the Jets have extra holes to fill and the extra money would be nice.

All League

Did you see what Joseph signed for? 5/48m. They could have had Aso for something close to that. Tanny has Cro waiting for the outcome.