Thread: Giants take Osi off the market...

Giants take Osi off the market...

Last edited by Gastineau99; 08-03-2011 at 04:14 PM.

All League
    Link?

All Pro
    Not so sure they ever really planned on trading him. I think Osi and the Giants know he will be at his best right where he is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Valid. Just saw it on ESPN and got an iOS alert from the app.

All League
    Pretty sure he'll still be traded, this is just a leverage ploy by the Giants. They couldn't get a good offer if it was publicly known that Osi and the Giants were unsatisfied.

Under the guise of "making the situation work", they will probably soon get a deal they like.

All League
    They didn't necessarily take him off the market. They just pulled the rights for him (and his agent) to find a trade.

They may very well have decided that they want to or HAVE to trade him and want to control the situation themselves.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    They didn't necessarily take him off the market. They just pulled the rights for him (and his agent) to find a trade.

They may very well have decided that they want to or HAVE to trade him and want to control the situation themselves.
    Probably true. Putting the player/agent in charge is risky.

I'm sure the agent will come back to the Giants and say, "Hey, great news. Found a team that will give you a 2nd round pick and give Osi a brand new deal. Please call Andy Reid at your earliest convenience. Oh, and now that Osi knows someone will sign him longterm and give you a draft pick he's expecting a trade. I mean, he'll really be pissed off if you don't deal him now."

They were willing to let his agent look for a trading partner as long as the compensation was a first round pick. Makes sense for the Giants to rescind the agent's right to find a trade if the Giants' asking price is now a second rounder. Might be willing to trade with the Seahawks or the Rams for their second rounder, for example, but not with a contender that would produce a lower draft pick, particularly if that contender is in the NFC. So the Giants took back control. Can't have Tony Agnone coming to the Giants saying "Ok, I've got a deal with the [Bucs, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears]."

Veteran
    what a garbage organization..this makes us look vastly superior..the giants are stuck in the yesteryears....our town now folks..the golden age of jets football is about to turn platinum

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Pretty sure he'll still be traded, this is just a leverage ploy by the Giants. They couldn't get a good offer if it was publicly known that Osi and the Giants were unsatisfied.

Under the guise of "making the situation work", they will probably soon get a deal they like.
    u sir are correct...Osi will be traded to either the ravens or patriots

All League
    If they end up trying to stick him with his current deal, it will be interesting to see how he (and those around him) behave and what they may or may no be able to fine him for.

1. If his agent is out there spouting off and trashing the Giants and Reese, can he be fined?
    2. If his wife/spokesman is out there spouting off and trashing everyone in sight, can he be fined?

The funniest part about this mess is that I don't think he necessarily outplayed his contract.

This problem was caused by his agent on his current deal not thinking ahead. If the Giants were planning on redoing his contract if he outplayed it, his contract should cause an enormous cap hit to the Giants in the current year. Such a provision would force the Giants to redo the deal or trade him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    If they end up trying to stick him with his current deal, it will be interesting to see how he (and those around him) behave and what they may or may no be able to fine him for.

1. If his agent is out there spouting off and trashing the Giants and Reese, can he be fined?
    2. If his wife/spokesman is out there spouting off and trashing everyone in sight, can he be fined?

The funniest part about this mess is that I don't think he necessarily outplayed his contract.

This problem was caused by his agent on his current deal not thinking ahead. If the Giants were planning on redoing his contract if he outplayed it, his contract should cause an enormous cap hit to the Giants in the current year. Such a provision would force the Giants to redo the deal or trade him.

and to think we were in this situation a year ago..feels good to be an onlooker for a change.

Banned
    Correct me if I'm wrong (like I really have to say that) but doesn't the new CBA essentially make holdouts virually impossible with $30k per day fines and loss of a year accrual to FA aftyer 30 days?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (like I really have to say that) but doesn't the new CBA essentially make holdouts virually impossible with $30k per day fines and loss of a year accrual to FA aftyer 30 days?
    Yes. Osi is in camp. BUT, while he has to show up, he can be incredibly disruptive to the team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Yes. Osi is in camp. BUT, while he has to show up, he can be incredibly disruptive to the team.
    Good call.

This should end well.

Osi Umenyiora shows at Giants practice but refuses to participate after convo with GM Jerry Reese

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...home_to_c.html

this guy forced 10 fumbles last year or something last year. we should have thrown a damn 2nd rounder at the G men. i would love to have him on our defense playing DE.... we'd without a doubt be a better defense than pitt and baltimore with Osi .... i hope the Jets have strong interest in him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    Good call.

This should end well.

Osi Umenyiora shows at Giants practice but refuses to participate after convo with GM Jerry Reese

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...home_to_c.html
    If you remember, Keyshon Johnson was such a disruptive force that the Bucs ended up having to send him home. Hainesworth pushed the limits with the Redskins last year.

It is going to get very ugly if the Giants don't do something to make him happy or to get him somewhere else.