Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Arian Foster, Tweets, FF, Gambling

OT: Arian Foster, Tweets, FF, Gambling

The latest episode of bone head moves through social networks by athletes include Arian Foster "tweeting" a message to his faithful fantasy football owners that his hamstring injury will not hold him back in week one and eluded that his numbers for fantasy football will be as good or better than predicted. He also posted the actual MRI of his hamstring for all the world to see. (maybe someone can post this)

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I think players are walking a fine line when it comes to matters of the fans turning on them and the league coming down hard on them as, in this case, the idea of gambling through fantasy football is being expressed in writing by a top player.

Imagine being a Texan fan and your top player sends out information for the rest of the NFL and world to see about an injury that has a direct relationship with the team's success?

If the NFL, and all sports for that matter, are not protected from ignorant actions like this, it may be the beginning of the demise of professional sports.

The MRI was apparantly a fake.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    imagine being Arian Foster dealing with an injury or CJ dealing with a hold out it's probably frustrating place to be. I do think they should both be quiet but I also understand why they lashed out.

but this is not the demise of pro sports, it's just an extension of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    imagine being Arian Foster dealing with an injury or CJ dealing with a hold out it's probably frustrating place to be. I do think they should both be quiet but I also understand why they lashed out.

but this is not the demise of pro sports, it's just an extension of it.
    Bitonti, you are one of my favorite posters on this board but in this case I disagree with you respectivly. Arian Foster (and CJ for that matter) are highly paid athletes that shouldnt have any financial worries. They have the unique position to play a childs sport and be rewarded in notoriety and monetarily. It is not asking much for them to focuss on whats best for their team. This might sound idealistic but the league show protect this sentiment because it is why I believe fans are so attracted to sports. The team represents a small part of the fan. When the players and team acts in a selfish way I think it starts to make fans go in another direction. I Arian Foster or CJ were JETS I'd have a hard time rooting for them knowing their heart is not 100% for the JETS but or fantasy football owners who chose them.

You and I are asked to be accountable at work. There are times when I'd love to express myself at work and vent but simply cant. Is it so much to ask Arain Foster and CJ to act like other adults have to at their workplaces?
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-01-2011 at 08:56 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Arian Foster (and CJ for that matter) are highly paid athletes that shouldnt have any financial worries. They have the unique position to play a childs sport and be rewarded in notoriety and monetarily. It is not asking much for them to focuss on whats best for their team.
    the team can and will cut them in a heartbeat. It's a child sport with very adult consequences, like ending up demented and broke. Like I said I think they'd be better off being quiet, but I also understand why they are motivated to lash out. the Fantasy football questions have to be tiresome.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The latest episode of bone head moves through social networks by athletes include Arian Foster "tweeting" a message to his faithful fantasy football owners that his hamstring injury will not hold him back in week one and eluded that his numbers for fantasy football will be as good or better than predicted. He also posted the actual MRI of his hamstring for all the world to see. (maybe someone can post this)

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

I think players are walking a fine line when it comes to matters of the fans turning on them and the league coming down hard on them as, in this case, the idea of gambling through fantasy football is being expressed in writing by a top player.

Imagine being a Texan fan and your top player sends out information for the rest of the NFL and world to see about an injury that has a direct relationship with the team's success?

If the NFL, and all sports for that matter, are not protected from ignorant actions like this, it may be the beginning of the demise of professional sports.
    I thought Foster went on record as being really annoyed with the obsession with Fantasy Football?

the team can and will cut them in a heartbeat. It's a child sport with very adult consequences, like ending up demented and broke. Like I said I think they'd be better off being quiet, but I also understand why they are motivated to lash out. the Fantasy football questions have to be tiresome.
    Great debate and thanks for the response bit,

Yes, NFL players can get cut in a heartbeat and that is the nature of the game. They are also compensated for it quite well in relationship to other occupations. With the slightest interest in their own personal futures, most starters in the NFL should never have to work another day in their lives after their playing days are over.

The Fantasy Footbal questions getting tiresome? I dont know how that has a relationship with lashing out through a social network for the world to see. Compunding this specific issue is the fact that posting it plays a direct affect on your own team's success. I deal with things at my work that I need to keep quiet about. We all do. I dont think its asking much of the players to act in a way that is not detrimental and destuctive to the team when their salaries are forcing owners to raise prices for games, parking, gear, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I thought Foster went on record as being really annoyed with the obsession with Fantasy Football?
    Thanks crash but I thought I heard otherwise, maybe we can get some clarity on it. Either way, IMHO, Arian Foster's actions are totally unjustified.

All League

ESPN has also come out and had a medical expert analyze this, saying that if this is in fact his real MRI, he'll be out for 3-4 weeks. If it is real, the Texans can't be too pleased...

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post

ESPN has also come out and had a medical expert analyze this, saying that if this is in fact his real MRI, he'll be out for 3-4 weeks. If it is real, the Texans can't be too pleased...
    Thanks Syracuse, I cant imagine rooting for a team like the Texans who are in the mix of teams that could be very successful this season and know have their star player jeopardize it by his own ridiculous self centered actions.

Thank god this wasnt a JETS player!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Thanks crash but I thought I heard otherwise, maybe we can get some clarity on it. Either way, IMHO, Arian Foster's actions are totally unjustified.
    I didn't see the most recent tweet with the MRI picture. I was talking about what I read in MMQB where Foster was criticizing people for only worrying about Fantasy Football - I guess this latest tweet was a follow up.

On Sunday afternoon, Foster, a thoughtful guy who writes poetry and doesn't buy into the idea that famous football players should be seen and spout only cliches, tweeted this: "4 those sincerely concerned I'm doing ok. 4 those worried about ur fantasy tm, u ppl are sick #nfl''

JetsInsider.com Legend
    With the slightest interest in their own personal futures, most starters in the NFL should never have to work another day in their lives after their playing days are over.
    and that's the rub... most smart people with interest in their personal future don't play professional football. there are far easier ways to make a living.

but back on topic i think the point AF and CJ are making is, if you are a fan of the team, and of me, that's great.

but If i'm just a fantasy player to you, buzz off. it's kinda creepy.

I can't stand hearing about other people's fantasy teams, I can only imagine how annoying it would be to have every damn loser interrupt and ask about my health for their fantasy team.

I didn't see the most recent tweet with the MRI picture. I was talking about what I read in MMQB where Foster was criticizing people for only worrying about Fantasy Football - I guess this latest tweet was a follow up.
    Great find Crash, this puts a different light on the subject. It still would burn me if this were a JETS player and I would be calling for him to be cut....

All League

Apparently not that annoyed.

ďPeople say I donít care about fantasy football. I think itís good for the game,Ē he said. ďIím on my motherís fantasy football team, so Iíve got to do good.Ē

and that's the rub... most smart people with interest in their personal future don't play professional football. there are far easier ways to make a living.

but back on topic i think the point AF and CJ are making is, if you are a fan of the team, and of me, that's great.

I can't stand hearing about other people's fantasy teams, I can only imagine how annoying it would be to have every damn loser interrupt and ask about my health for their fantasy team.
    Im not sure if I agree with this Bitonti. Maybe in the past there were more players that lacked personal skills to secure their futures but today the NCAA has cracked down on blatant grade fraud and the NFL has programs that help players invest their money and stay out of personal harms way. Unlike baseball, the NFL players came from college. I would have to believe that the majority of top NCAA football players can read and have at least heard of planning for a personal financial future.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Apparently not that annoyed.
    Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame because he gambled on baseball. While this is not at the level of Pete Rose, it is still promoting gambling. Gambling came very close to taking away baseball. It has all but taken away boxing. Sorry but this is a "slippery slope" when players start to comment on gambling in their own sport.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Im not sure if I agree with this Bitonti. Maybe in the past there were more players that lacked personal skills to secure their futures but today the NCAA has cracked down on blatant grade fraud and the NFL has programs that help players invest their money and stay out of personal harms way. Unlike baseball, the NFL players came from college. I would have to believe that the majority of top NCAA football players can read and have at least heard of planning for a personal financial future.
    you can have all the money in the bank, if your brain is grape jelly there's no money that can replace it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is ridiculous.

One, to your earlier point, neither one of these guys has to worry about being cut. Foster or CJ would be picked up and paid handsomely in a second. Keep hearing, 'they can be cut'. Not if they're really productive players. It's no different than in the working world. In most jobs if you aren't productive you're gone.

Two, for most who play in the NFL, there aren't far easier ways to make a living. You think Plax and countless others could have made better livings for themselves and their families in the real world? Are you kidding?

And if people look at you as a fantasy player and you find that creepy and bothersome, you're in the wrong profession. Quit now because that's how it is in the sports industry, always has been. Those who creep you out are the ones who pay your salary.

They came off as morons who wanted to put more attention on themselves, off their team. Not as if they are creeped out by the attention.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame because he gambled on baseball. While this is not at the level of Pete Rose, it is still promoting gambling. Gambling came very close to taking away baseball. It has all but taken away boxing. Sorry but this is a "slippery slope" when players start to comment on gambling in their own sport.
    So did Paul Hornung and he is in the NFL HOF..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    This is ridiculous.

One, to your earlier point, neither one of these guys has to worry about being cut. Foster or CJ would be picked up and paid handsomely in a second. Keep hearing, 'they can be cut'. Not if they're really productive players. It's no different than in the working world. In most jobs if you aren't productive you're gone.
    right now Foster and CJ yes they'd be picked up. if they get hurt or decline they are waiver wire bound. It is way different than the working world. in most jobs they don't say you are too old and should retire when you are 30 years old.

Two, for most who play in the NFL, there aren't far easier ways to make a living. You think Plax and countless others could have made better livings for themselves and their families in the real world? Are you kidding?
    again it depends on how we define easy. I can't hit a straight golf shot in front of 3 other people, I can only imagine how hard it is to play football at a high level in front of 80,000 in person and millions on TV. Get hurt, they give you a needle to go right back in, break a bone they put a screw in and make you get back in 4 weeks... groggy from the painkillers? don't worry they have uppers for that... flying coast to coast, 12, 14, 16 hour days... it's a very tough way to make a living, and if you don't believe that you aren't looking close enough.

And if people look at you as a fantasy player and you find that creepy and bothersome, you're in the wrong profession. Quit now because that's how it is in the sports industry, always has been. Those who creep you out are the ones who pay your salary.

They came off as morons who wanted to put more attention on themselves, off their team. Not as if they are creeped out by the attention.
    To a certain extent this is true but i don't see how fantasy football players pay their salary. Season ticket holders, ok. Texans and Titans fans, sure. But fantasy players, unless they are buying the sunday ticket, are kinda far down the list of people paying Chris Johnson's salary.

again we look at it from the outside and say "what a jerk" but I wonder what it's like a day in the life of Chris Johnson, when everyone you meet says you are on my fantasy team. that's gotta suck.