Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources: More Peyton Manning surgery (Out 2-3 Months)

All Pro

Sources: More Peyton Manning surgery (Out 2-3 Months)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69...ck-sources-say

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning had further neck surgery Thursday, sources familiar with the situation said.

Manning decided to have the surgery, the sources said, after consultation with a half-dozen doctors who reached a consensus that the most viable option would be a one-level cervical neck fusion in the wake of his May 23 surgery to repair a bulging disk. It's unclear whether Manning would be able to return to play this season.

Colts owner Jim Irsay suggested via his Twitter account an announcement is forthcoming. On Wednesday night, Irsay tweeted: "Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday, we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon." On Thursday, Irsay tweeted: "NFL Season opens 2nite! We had a good practice yesterday and r guys r fired up 4 the season.#18's (Manning's number) out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE." And Colts coach Jim Caldwell said Thursday at a news conference he anticipated more clarity on Manning's prognosis soon.

Manning was unavailable for comment, as was his agent, Tom Condon. His father, Archie, and brother, Cooper, whose college career was ended by a severe neck injury, would not specifically address Peyton's surgical decision.

Archie Manning, a former NFL quarterback, only spoke of his son's state of mind.

"I think he's OK, probably because there's a little finality to this deal in terms of playing," the elder Manning told Mortensen. "He's been on the clock since May. He didn't make it. Obviously, it's a big letdown, but he can relax a little bit compared to the intensity of everything he has done trying to rehab."

Without confirming any pending surgery for brother Peyton, Cooper Manning told ESPN that a cervical fusion would be a logical step after his brother's slow recovery and setback last week when he experienced more upper back and neck pain.

"Everyone is different, but I've had a fusion and I've known players who have had fusions and went on to play football. ... You can get a pretty good range of motion back and much more stability once it heals," said Cooper, the oldest of three brothers that include quarterbacks Peyton and Eli.

Cooper said he did not have specific knowledge on a decision regarding another operation for Peyton.

"You know Peyton and how he values his privacy even within a very tight family like we have," he said. "We've exchanged some short texts and I've given him his space. He's had a lot going on."

Manning will miss his first NFL game when the Colts open the 2011 season Sunday against the Houston Texans. He had made 227 consecutive starts counting playoff games, including the Super Bowl the Colts won capping the 2006 season. The four-time MVP is 35 years old.

Manning was hopeful that four months of therapy after his May 23 surgery would allow him to resume normal football activity, but his progress was minimal with nerve regeneration and his triceps area remained weak, not allowing him to throw a football with reasonable velocity. He was taken off the PUP (physically unable to play) list last week so he could practice on a limited basis as a part of his therapy in hopes of making progress and measuring his readiness.

However, Manning's progress "plateaued" and pain returned to his upper back and neck region, which initiated a new set of diagnostic tests and the recent prognosis that an anterior cervical fusion would be a wise course of action, sources said.

On Wednesday, in an interview with ESPN 1050 in New York, Colts vice chairman Bill Polian revealed that Manning would not play the opener Sunday at Houston. Manning confirmed the decision in a statement later Wednesday.

All Pro
    Michael Lombardi:

"Mannings has traveled all over the US trying to find a solution for his cervical problem,the latest recommendation resulted in surgery today"

via Twitter

All League
    Here comes 3-13 for IND

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Here comes 3-13 for IND
    And Andrew Luck.

Wouldn't that be a b*tch?

Hall Of Fame
    Colts play Pats 12/4 so there's a chance Peyton will be back for that, which is good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    And Andrew Luck.

Wouldn't that be some chit. What do they have a horseshoe up their arse to come up with luck like that?
    Last edited by My.Favorite.Martin; 09-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Colts play Pats 12/4 so there's a chance Peyton will be back for that, which is good.
    Hes out 8-12 weeks. It's a Neck so no way he rushes it. If it's 12 weeks he will be on the IR..Most cases with the same issue the player has been forced to retire.

All Pro
    The one time I take Peyton in fantasy football, there goes his season

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    same here. have stafford as my only other QB and he will be hurt soon so i am screwed

colts will be bad and out of it by the time manning comes back

Charter JI Member
    This is sucks for all football fans.

Good luck Peyton.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    And Andrew Luck.

Jacksonville gets Lucky

All Pro
    ...he won't be back this year...so he can get back next...if he can...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Here comes 3-13 for IND
    Now these fans get to know what it's like not having a stud QB for all this time.

Same thing will happen to Patriot fans when TB12 hangs em up. The team that Cassel took to 11-5 is a shell of itself without Brady now.

Brady wants revenge on the Jets, maybe he should be careful what he wishes for, he aint no spring chicken either.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Hes out 8-12 weeks. It's a Neck so no way he rushes it. If it's 12 weeks he will be on the IR..Most cases with the same issue the player has been forced to retire.
    I agree, but I don't think they'll IR him unless they absolutely have to.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Should have taken Brady!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I agree, but I don't think they'll IR him unless they absolutely have to.
    with this type of injury, it probably makses sense just to keep him safe and go the IR route. By the time he gets back, they may be 2-8.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    This is sucks for all football fans.

Good luck Peyton.
    it really does. Big loss for the league.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Should have taken Brady!!
    I took Peyton in the 5th in a 14 team league, grabbed Eli as my first reserve player, so I guess its Eli this year with Collins as the back up....

Note to Jets: The Colts got Kerry Collins as a back up, we have injured Mark Brunell and David Garrard is still out there................................

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just heard this news in an e-mail from a friend in Indiana. Said he would get back to me after he finished heaving his guts in the bathroom.

However, this is the same guy that 12 years ago e-mailed me:

D-O-N-E! DONE DONE DONE! the day after Vinnie's achilles exploded in the opener that season. So my sympathy extends only so far.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lets remember, the Colts were 10-6 last year and that was with Manning. This team could have 2-4 wins by the time he returns. Odds are he doesn't play a down this season. And it's possible, depending on how serious this is he may never play another down in his career. I was watching some show the other day and they named 5 guys who've had this injury. All 5 never played again.