Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there too much 9/11 coverage in sports

All League
    I hate the politicians who have made obscene profits from 9/11. One from NYC comes to mind.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    its appalling to me that people are compaining about 9/11 coverage ON THE 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11.

I simply can't post in this thread anymore because it's embarrassing.
    So I guess you found the strength to go on. Since you're still posting tell us why it's our fault again.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I wouldnt exactly call them "celebrations".
    I told you it would become just like memorial day.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Achilles View Post
    true, rememberances; lack of a better term. No way celebrations....its interesting though..here's a day where every single human (of age) can recall where they were..there must be something to that..humans are a machine...to get everyone on the same wavelength....leaves one to ponder the importance of the why?
    I think everyone feels the need to do "something". It was such a major event in our lives that everyone feels like they should memorialize that day, and if they do not they dont want to be viewed as insensitive. Everyone will remember that day in their own way regardless of what ceremonies or displays that are taking place.

Watching some of these teen-age children of the victims read their parents names is just so emotional. These kids were only 5-8 years old at the time and have already spent the majority of their lives without their mother or father. My son who is 10 just said he couldnt imagine losing one of his parents.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    and who made you the sarcasm expert?
    I'm not. But you sound foolish and ignorant and your excuse was that you were trying to be sarcastic. All I am saying is that your attempt to be sarcastic was poor.

Veteran
    I think everyone feels the need to do "something". It was such a major event in our lives that everyone feels like they should memorialize that day, and if they do not they dont want to be viewed as insensitive. Everyone will remember that day in their own way regardless of what ceremonies or displays that are taking place.

Watching some of these teen-age children of the victims read their parents names is just so emotional. These kids were only 5-8 years old at the time and have already spent the majority of their lives without their mother or father. My son who is 10 just said he couldnt imagine losing one of his parents.
    we should never forget how those who care nothing about world policy and "absolute power" were butchered in the name of what? Peace? God? Defiance?

No cause, no matter how justified, can ever be held up in with any kind of credance for the disgusting and cowardly acts that took the lives of so many in such a brutal fashion..whether it was being on a plane that hit the tower, or falling all the way to your death, or being crushed to death in the collapse...a dark day for humanity..nothing new for us though...this is what we do...we used to goto war..now we're selling each other vaccums..you make sense of it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    continual tributes being an annual remebrance on the day of these events? i am truely sorry for your loss, and your experiences that day. however, i stand by my opinion, which is just that, an opinion, that on 9/11 there is, should, and will be extensive coverage throughout the day.
    If it wasn't mentioned at all until this day i probably wouldn't feel like this but we have been building up to this for nearly a week.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I am one of those who hates what marketing does to events like these. After all Memorial Day for most people is a day for a BBQ or go shopping.

But we all need to give each other a break on this. Let's not judge each other on how we feel about this.

I think we can all agree on the basic facts that this was a tragic event. Let's each honor those who died in our own way and stay united as Americans.

The bickering is silly. Let's all remember how lucky we are today to be enjoying a silly football game today is the greatest country on the face of the earth.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_G View Post
    If it wasn't mentioned at all until this day i probably wouldn't feel like this but we have been building up to this for nearly a week.
    agreed. there is certainly some fatigue inside me about it not gonna lie. it's like ok, we get it, i just want to watch some goddamn football without being interrupted by a terror threat..to me..that was a little dramatic to be honest. ...there happens to be a terror threat to correspond with the opening day of the nfl

you won't fool me twice and ill leave it like that.

Folks, enjoy today, celebrate life, supposed liberty and this brilliant game we've come to call "football"

J-E-T-S!!! OUR YEAR BABY!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I am one of those who hates what marketing does to events like these. After all Memorial Day for most people is a day for a BBQ or go shopping.

But we all need to give each other a break on this. Let's not judge each other on how we feel about this.

I think we can all agree on the basic facts that this was a tragic event. Let's each honor those who died in our own way and stay united as Americans.

The bickering is silly. Let's all remember how lucky we are today to be enjoying a silly football game today is the greatest country on the face of the earth.
    i like this man...you should grow a beard (like honest abe!)

be respectful to one another folks...the days of wearing diapers has long passed (share your toys, we're all in this together, brotha)

I'm not. But you sound foolish and ignorant and your excuse was that you were trying to be sarcastic. All I am saying is that your attempt to be sarcastic was poor.
    how dumb are you? and how is that an "excuse"? you act like i said something which i believed in and then made it seem like a joke and then used the "sarcasm" excuse. great logic right there.

by the way that was the reason given to us by our government after 9/11 on why we were attacked

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    how dumb are you? and how is that an "excuse"? you act like i said something which i believed in and then made it seem like a joke and then used the "sarcasm" excuse. great logic right there.

by the way that was the reason given to us by our government after 9/11 on why we were attacked
    I'm not getting into a pissing match with you. You sound like a fool and most people on here would agree with that. Keep making excuses for why you sound ignorant.

All Pro
    its appalling to me that people are compaining about 9/11 coverage ON THE 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11.

I simply can't post in this thread anymore because it's embarrassing.
    I don't think you understand what people are saying if this is what you post. Nobody questions that there should be 9/11 coverage on 9/11. The issue is people have been exploiting it for a month already (look at the media) and the OP was referencing the coverage as it relates to sports and sporting events. After a day of real 9/11 events and memorial services, do we need Robert DeNiro and the NFL, etc. to tell us what happened tonight at the football game, as if we don't know? That's the real issue here. In actuality, there are real solemn ceremonies for 9/11 on every 9/11 over the past ten years. It's not like we waited until the 10th anniversary to do something either.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 09-11-2011 at 11:59 AM.

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2011-09-07-648/index.html

The NFL will remember 9/11 in all the wrong ways
    By Dave Zirin
    Print this article

Ten years ago, on the first Sunday after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the NFL did something truly heroic and generous: nothing. The league willingly ate millions of dollars and cancelled the games out of respect for the unfolding tragedy. As 9/11 morphed into a decade-long “Global War on Terror”, the league has, to put it mildly, failed to show similar restraint. From the now ubiquitous presence of military flyovers and honor guards at every game, to the armed forces recruitment stations set up outside preseason contests, to having war-gourmands like General David Petraeus toss the coin before the Super Bowl, to staging Fox’s NFL pregame show from Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan (with Terry, Howie and the gang dressed in fatigues), the league has treated our era of endless war as an odious exercise in corporate branding.

This Sunday, the NFL season opens in earnest on the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks and the league, like John Boehner finding an abandoned pack of unfiltered smokes, just can’t control itself. Teams will be going all out to commemorate that horrific day ten years ago when 3000 people were killed in DC, Pennsylvania, and New York City. If you think this anniversary should be remembered with somber soft voices, and about as far away from a football game as possible, you are going to want to keep your distance from NFL Sunday or you will lose your lunch.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, on ESPN’s Mike and Mike in the Morning, said without a hint of humility, that the NFL will aim this Sunday to “help the country heal.” How will this healing take place? As the Associated Press reported, “Pregame tributes will be synchronized on CBS and Fox telecasts and shown on video boards in each stadium hosting games. Coaches, players and local first responders will hold field-length American flags for the playing of the national anthem.” The AP also reported that players, coaches and the sideline rabble will be compelled to wear a specially customized NFL 9/11 ribbon. The official “NFL 9/11 logo” will also be on the field of every game.

Roger Goodell’s office says that this pomp is aimed to "unite fans to recognize those who lost their lives, honor the families who lost loved ones, and salute the American spirit, the early responders on 9/11, and other heroes that contributed to the nation's recovery." If you are one of the 25 million Americans looking for work, or related to one of the hundreds of thousands of troops stationed overseas in three theaters of war, you might wonder what recovery Goodell is referencing.

The last decade has more resembled a sweat-soaked fever-dream than anything resembling a “recovery.” The statistics boggle the mind. More than 6,000 US troops have been killed. Over 550,000 soldiers have put in claims for disability. Among those unfortunate enough to have been born in the countries the US has invaded and occupied, the death toll has been estimated to be as much as one million lives lost. The current number of war refugees and displaced persons reaches almost eight million people. The economic cost to the United States has been estimated by Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz to be as high as five trillion dollars. Now everyone in Washington DC is shocked that a decade of tax cuts and war has led to record deficits, and working people are told to "tighten our belts." It's been an awful decade of lies and loss, and its reality will go unacknowledged this Sunday.

In all the scurrying to make sure “9/11 NFL Sunday” is a day to remember, one name is strikingly absent from the press release trumpeting the day’s events: Pat Tillman. After 9/11, Tillman took the extraordinary step of leaving the NFL to join the Army Rangers. His experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan pushed him to question the official rational for the Global War on Terror. He read anti-war authors. He told friends that he felt the war in Iraq was “f-in illegal.” Then he died at the hands of his fellow Rangers in an instance of what was deemed “friendly fire.” The Pentagon and the Bush administration hid this reality from Pat Tillman’s family. The NFL, for their part, inaugurated a USO center at Bagram Airfield in Pat Tillman’s name without hinting at the complicated realities of either Tillman’s service or his betrayal at the hands of those he trusted. The NFL’s failure to highlight Tillman in this Sunday’s 9/11 tributes is in some ways a relief but it also reads like an act of cowardice. His story is a polarizing one that Roger Goodell wants to avoid on this day of “unity.”

But ten years from 9/11, unity is hardly the watchword of the moment. I spoke with Rory Fanning, the former U.S. Army Ranger, turned anti-war activist, who served with Pat and walked across the country in his memory. I asked Rory what he would like to see the NFL do to commemorate the decade anniversary since that fateful day. He said, "I would ask the NFL for an hour of silence for the 100's of thousands killed after 9/11 in recognition of the criminally disproportionate response to that day.” If Roger Goodell must do something that sounds pretty dead-on. It certainly feels more right than the queasy mix of war, sport, and choreographed remembrance that Goodell has planned.

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you. You sound like a fool and most people on here would agree with that. Keep making excuses for why you sound ignorant.
    i love how your opinion becomes the opinion of everyone else on the planet

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There is a creepy undertow to *some* the sports related 9-11 coverage.

Today's not the day to get into it, but some things are a bit much. I'll throw out Otis Livingston's interview of Rex Ryan on the topic last night as a case in point. Completely unecessary and slightly awkward.

I've already shared my thoughts on the halftime show set for tonight...

Practice Squad
    The only think I find insulting today are the politicians walking through the crowds gladhanding. I mean, for god sakes Shillary is signing autographs and taking pictures. Has she NO shame?

No. I think it is very appropriate. 9/11 is the single greatest tragedy in our country's history! We, as Americans, should never forget that awful day.

Sports is part of our culture and intersects all aspects of our life. 9/11 represents our humanity, values and character. When put into perspective, today is about reflection and honoring the vicitims, our troops (who have sacrificed so much) and way-of-life -- something those bastard terrorists tried, but failed, to destroy. Sports serves as a way of providing some relief to the anguish and pain felt by the country. But in the bigger picture of life, it is just a game(s).

God bless America.

Veteran
    nice read....maybe 100 years from now they can celebrate it but if you were alive to experience it and even worse to actually live it there's little reason to remember it so loudly..its like hey remem that time i stuck your testicles in the toaster...ya..wasnt that fun?!

KICKOFF

*TOUCHBACK*

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Achilles View Post
    nice read....maybe 100 years from now they can celebrate it but if you were alive to experience it and even worse to actually live it there's little reason to remember it..its like hey remem that time i stuck your testicles in the toaster...ya..wasnt that fun?!

KICKOFF

*TOUCHBACK*

In 100 years, when they go to celebrate it, there will be some version of Santa Claus in combination with BBQs and fireworks. The other poster's reference to Memorial Day is a good analogy. It's all about marketing and making money.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 09-11-2011 at 12:11 PM.