Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there too much 9/11 coverage in sports

Undrafted Free Agent

Is there too much 9/11 coverage in sports

I was just thinking about this as I drove my daughter to work. This is the first football Sunday of the new season and normally I listen to sports radio on my computer while I read the net but right now they are just playing sound bites from the first met game after 9/11. I know if I turn the TV on it will be wall to wall 9/11 tributes but that's OK, that is supposed to be what they air but I was looking for a distraction from this. Now before you call me insensitive, I lost a first cousin on 9/11 and I'm actually going to a 9/11 service where I live at 2:00 for an hour so I will be observing today, what I am asking is do we need this to be everywhere? Can't there be some sports channel that would give you the normal coverage? Do we have to be shown this tragic even from every imaginable angle? I just wanted to hear some real football talk. We will also be seeing tributes before each game. I think the people who are going to the games are going to see a football game tonight, they would have already seen a lot of 9/11 coverage before the game.
    Lastly, I think Rex really should STFU now. I didn't hear the quote but my wife said Rex made a statement that he thinks it's great the Jets are playing on 9/11 because all of NY will be focused on the Jets.
    Rex, it may take a while for you to get that giant foot out of your mouth if you really did say that.

All League
    This was such a catastrpohic event that should be at the very least referenced on every station, particualrly today.

All Pro
    I think it would be bizarre if it wasn't mentioned in sports coverage today.

It was such a shocking and globally significant event, it would be ridiculous for sports teams and sports commentators to simply ignore the significance of today.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No.

Put simply, it is likely the single most meaningful national event in all of our lifetimes.

I agree with the line, "Never Forget"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_G View Post
    I was just thinking about this as I drove my daughter to work. This is the first football Sunday of the new season and normally I listen to sports radio on my computer while I read the net but right now they are just playing sound bites from the first met game after 9/11. I know if I turn the TV on it will be wall to wall 9/11 tributes but that's OK, that is supposed to be what they air but I was looking for a distraction from this. Now before you call me insensitive, I lost a first cousin on 9/11 and I'm actually going to a 9/11 service where I live at 2:00 for an hour so I will be observing today, what I am asking is do we need this to be everywhere? Can't there be some sports channel that would give you the normal coverage? Do we have to be shown this tragic even from every imaginable angle? I just wanted to hear some real football talk. We will also be seeing tributes before each game. I think the people who are going to the games are going to see a football game tonight, they would have already seen a lot of 9/11 coverage before the game.
    Lastly, I think Rex really should STFU now. I didn't hear the quote but my wife said Rex made a statement that he thinks it's great the Jets are playing on 9/11 because all of NY will be focused on the Jets.
    Rex, it may take a while for you to get that giant foot out of your mouth if you really did say that.
    It is both appropriate, relevant and meaningful. I find some of the highly critical posts in the other threads disturbing, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. My youngest son was 4 years old at the time and I am hoping the tribute tonight, including the highly criticized reading by Robert DeNiro has meaning for him. He doesn't know Robert DeNiro from Adam, but the important thing are the words, not the who the messenger is.

All Pro
    As somebody who actually experienced it directly, it's too much. I actually mentioned this to a number of friends, who agreed. It's getting out of hand. It feels like everybody is trying to take ownership of it and it's becoming more a celebration than a solemn occasion. I can understand a moment of silence, having the kids of the 9-1-1 victims unfurl a flag, a flyover (preferably with a B2 this time), etc. But, everybody is going overboard with these ceremonies. I just want to see a football game tonight. Nobody needs to tell me over and over again what happened. Trust me, I remember it vividly. This is just my opinion.

EDIT: This is a huge propaganda tool when you consider how they use Flight 93. Look at how they used Pat Tillman.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 09-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.

no...it was a catasrophe and should be spoken about ad nauseum today. sorry if this gets in the way of your sports coverage.

this is not an attack at you in any way for the record. but some things are more important IMO

Hall Of Fame
    What Rex said was that this was the most pressure he has ever felt as a coach because of playing in New York on tenth anniversary of 9/11.

No chance at all.
    We need to be reminded because this is not something we should ever forget.

Hall Of Fame
    As for the extent of 9/11 coverage, in New York sports was one of the main healers from 9/11. So I think that it is not too much, but at some point we have to play the game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    no...it was a catasrophe and should be spoken about ad nauseum today. sorry if this gets in the way of your sports coverage.

this is not an attack at you in any way for the record. but some things are more important IMO
    Sometimes it feels like it's being exploited by the broadcaster, though. Some people are looking to sports to get away from the pain of those memories, and hoping for more sports in their sports isn't unreasonable.

All Pro
    We need to make sure we never forget. Listening to the bell toll when rang during the ceremonies, to ring during the collapes make me cry my eyes out. My 5 year old saw me and asked why. I told her a day will come when I will explain to her why I was so upset.

it still hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    We need to make sure we never forget. Listening to the bell toll when rang during the ceremonies, to ring during the collapes make me cry my eyes out. My 5 year old saw me and asked why. I told her a day will come when I will explain to her why I was so upset.

it still hurts.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    No chance at all.
    We need to be reminded because this is not something we should ever forget.
    you have the brain capacity of a rat if you need government to remind you that 9/11 happened.

no wonder this country is so dumb and doesn't care about the agenda government has. as long as theres football on tv i dont give a **** about my rights and if this country goes bankrupt or not. hell i can still watch the games from cuba

Rex has been as perfect as can be about this whole thing. I understand you didn't see it so you have a right to criticize what you heard from someone else, but Rex has repeatedly downplayed every side story about this game except 9/11...but even though he hasn't downplayed it, he also hasn't made the game or anything about 9/11. He's been very respectful from a distance while being fully entrenched in it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post

By definition, ad nauseum is too much.

No one who lived through it will forget it, regardless of how much it is brought up today.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post

it still hurts.
    here i got one for you, its the most popular one you can download at www.US.gov: 9/11 happened because muslims hate the american way of life

Hall Of Fame
    speaking as someone who was in Manhattan that day with a clear view of the whole nightmare, something I will never forget...

I will be glad when September 12 gets here

with a Jet win over the cowgirls

All Pro
    Yes it's too much. If anyone would talk about what it meant, and why it happened that would be something. It was not a tragedy, it was a travesty, and they still celebrate it in some countries.They talk about it like it was a natural disaster, or an accident. What is the point in remembering if you don't remember why? It's on it's way to becoming like memorial day. Soon we'll have a parade.

its appalling to me that people are compaining about 9/11 coverage ON THE 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11.

I simply can't post in this thread anymore because it's embarrassing.