Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soliciting In Lots

Practice Squad

Soliciting In Lots

I just wanted to rant on this issue here. It has become very annoying, game after game that we are bombarded with teams sending themselves to Cooperstown, Canton, Cheerleading competitions, and all that jazz. Also, I dont like saying this, and I know it will be misconstrued, but I dont think collecting for each and every disease in the world is going to cure them all, especially in a parking lot. I have no problem with this outside of a private event, but not during a tailgate. Vets passing flags around asking for money is also a new thing this year.

I pay 25 dollars a game to park, grill, and hang out with friends. I hate being put on the spot to give to each charity. During a preseason game, we gave a dollar to a Vet, he gave us a flag. As he was walking away he said "wow a whole dollar" Clearly he was being sarcastic. I dont understand how this happens game after game. The Jets arrest ticket scalpers, but leave these organizations alone? I am not looking for anything to happen to them, I just dont want them there.

This post is more of a team thing, but it goes across the board. I am not condoning not being charitable, but there are diff. ways to go about it. Walking around from grill to grill is not one of them.

I hope the Jets can put an end to it. I pay 25 dollars to park, I dont like when it ends up being 30 after charity. If they want us to donate to charities, just have it written on the parking passes so we know.

Hall Of Fame
    I spoke to 32 about "soliciting" in lots.

Don't care if he has the ribz or not...

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I spoke to 32 about "soliciting" in lots.

Don't care if he has the ribz or not...
    If he doesn't have the 'ribz' why would he need to solicit?

Self gratification at its finest...

Banned
    Its a situation thats being investigated ive been told. They are also looking into the big tailgate parties where you pay to eat and drink a reliable source has told me. If you cant sell a t-shirt or hat then you shouldnt be able to beg for money or sell food in any way shape or form. Whats fair is fair.

Veteran
    just be rude to them.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    just be rude to them.
    You shouldnt have to be rude to them, they shouldnt be there in the first place. Let their parents send their kids to Cooperstown, or Canton. Its not our job.

All Pro
    I don't mind be solicited and I will contribute if I deem the cause legit and just. I contributed to a cancer drive (rare cancer) and had no problem doing so. I also had no problem telling the underage "Jenny's from the block" to beat it whilst trying to sell me the Bergen Record, nor did I find it difficult to tell the Calvin pissing t-shirt guy to "LOLGFY".

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I don't mind be solicited and I will contribute if I deem the cause legit and just. I contributed to a cancer drive (rare cancer) and had no problem doing so. I also had no problem telling the underage "Jenny's from the block" to beat it whilst trying to sell me the Bergen Record, nor did I find it difficult to tell the Calvin pissing t-shirt guy to "LOLGFY".
    While I agree with you on telling people to get lost, its just a nuisance. Why do we have our parties interupted every 15 minutes by a beggar? 25 dollars should alleviate all of this.

Good way to pay for your PSL's. Wish I had thought of it 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hofstra Jet View Post
    While I agree with you on telling people to get lost, its just a nuisance. Why do we have our parties interupted every 15 minutes by a beggar? 25 dollars should alleviate all of this.
    Ignoring them is best... Carry on like they aren't even there...

Banned
    I just tell them I need a receipt for tax purposes and they go away.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by JFM View Post
    I'm stealing that for next time.

Although, last Sunday I was in the lot for about 4 hours and didn't have one person come up to me and solicit; I had figured they did crack down on this since previous years I'd have 5 different people come up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JFM View Post

I have no problem saying that to an adult, but I'm not comfortable saying that to a kid.

All League
    Its gone on forever in the lots as we are a captive audience. Kind of liken it to people selling Girl Scout cookies in the office. Sometimes you have to buy or you look like a cheap a-hole....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by tripside View Post
    I'm stealing that for next time.

Although, last Sunday I was in the lot for about 4 hours and didn't have one person come up to me and solicit; I had figured they did crack down on this since previous years I'd have 5 different people come up to me.
    wait for this Sunday when you can get a pass for face or less.... I gave a parking pass to a friends wife last year to pan handle as I like to call it. She got over $500 for some three legged deer society.....

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagman5A View Post
    wait for this Sunday when you can get a pass for face or less.... I gave a parking pass to a friends wife last year to pan handle as I like to call it. She got over $500 for some three legged deer society.....
    They don't even need a pass - take the train to beg. It's the latest thing - they are calling in railbegging.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    I have no problem saying that to an adult, but I'm not comfortable saying that to a kid.
    Why? Most of these things are scams.

Tell the kid you're happy to help them out, but you just need to speak with one of the adults who brought them there. Then ask the adult for their organization's TIN number, and pretend to be looking it up on your smart phone while they are giving it to you. You'll never see them again.

But, back to the OP's premise. I agree, soliciting should not be allowed at the games unless it's a verified, official NFL charity like United Way or something. In which case, they will be happy to give you a receipt for as little as a $5 donation.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Hofstra Jet View Post
    I just wanted to rant on this issue here. It has become very annoying, game after game that we are bombarded with teams sending themselves to Cooperstown, Canton, Cheerleading competitions, and all that jazz. Also, I dont like saying this, and I know it will be misconstrued, but I dont think collecting for each and every disease in the world is going to cure them all, especially in a parking lot. I have no problem with this outside of a private event, but not during a tailgate. Vets passing flags around asking for money is also a new thing this year.

I pay 25 dollars a game to park, grill, and hang out with friends. I hate being put on the spot to give to each charity. During a preseason game, we gave a dollar to a Vet, he gave us a flag. As he was walking away he said "wow a whole dollar" Clearly he was being sarcastic. I dont understand how this happens game after game. The Jets arrest ticket scalpers, but leave these organizations alone? I am not looking for anything to happen to them, I just dont want them there.

This post is more of a team thing, but it goes across the board. I am not condoning not being charitable, but there are diff. ways to go about it. Walking around from grill to grill is not one of them.

I hope the Jets can put an end to it. I pay 25 dollars to park, I dont like when it ends up being 30 after charity. If they want us to donate to charities, just have it written on the parking passes so we know.

I hope none of the solicitors you encountered was a 45yo woman in heels and a miniskirt....

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Its a situation thats being investigated ive been told. They are also looking into the big tailgate parties where you pay to eat and drink a reliable source has told me. If you cant sell a t-shirt or hat then you shouldnt be able to beg for money or sell food in any way shape or form. Whats fair is fair.
    This I do not agree with. I go to one of these. It makes perfect sense to me. My GF and I pay $30 for all the food and drink, there is a TV and cool people. The guy probably makes $10 on me at the end of the day. Perfect. I get to hang out, have fun, eat, drink and watch games, all with no set up or breakdown or cleanup. He makes a couple bucks and gets to enjoy my company. Works all around.

If this went away, it would probably result in me not tailgating, which would suck. I am there to enjoy myself and setting up a grill, cooking, breaking it down, cleaning up, is not my idea of fun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    This I do not agree with. I go to one of these. It makes perfect sense to me. My GF and I pay $30 for all the food and drink, there is a TV and cool people. The guy probably makes $10 on me at the end of the day. Perfect. I get to hang out, have fun, eat, drink and watch games, all with no set up or breakdown or cleanup. He makes a couple bucks and gets to enjoy my company. Works all around.

If this went away, it would probably result in me not tailgating, which would suck. I am there to enjoy myself and setting up a grill, cooking, breaking it down, cleaning up, is not my idea of fun.
    I agree but its still a form of vending. Also isnt there a chance beer and alcohol is being served to minors? What about Board of Health inspections on the kitchens being used to cook the food? You cant ignore 1 aspect and allow another,for various reasons.
    Last edited by GMCJETS; 09-15-2011 at 07:22 PM.