Thread: Jets' O vs. Raiders' D

JetsInsider.com Legend

Jets' O vs. Raiders' D

What will the Jets have to do to be successful in this game?

No, it will not rest on Baxter, the back-up center - not this week, anyway. There are 4 other linemen there. Here is what I saw vs. Buffalo:

The Raiders, cannot stop the 3 step drop.

Look for Mark and company to run slants, quick hitches, quick outs, all day long.

A friend of mine is a former FB in the league, and a Raiders fan. We spoke about this ad nauseum. He was so frustrated that the Raiders couldn't stop the Bills' 3 step drop, and I agreed it was an issue (I brought it up to him, and he started laughing). He thinks the defensive scheme is significantly flawed, and that they can't stop the run, which was obvious.

I would suspect the Jets will try and run the ball as well. I don't know what success the Jets o-line will have, and what the communication will be like. Honestly, Greene needs to have a big game, which he did 2 years ago in Oakland, but it was a different rushing offense then.

Overall, look for the Jets to complete short passes, over and over again. Cumberland will see significant time in this one, as Keller will be taken out of the game (if I was Oakland, I'd concentrate on the TE - YES, the TE, who will kill them).

Thoughts on this side of the ball, guys and gals?

All Pro
    I've been waiting for this 3 step drop for a long time. Not sure why we never utilize it especially when we're being constantly beaten by say Demacus Ware. I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

No, it will not rest on Baxter, the back-up center - not this week, anyway. There are 4 other linemen there. Here is what I saw vs. Buffalo:

Look for Mark and company to run slants, quick hitches, quick outs, all day long.

A friend of mine is a former FB in the league, and a Raiders fan. We spoke about this ad nauseum. He was so frustrated that the Raiders couldn't stop the Bills' 3 step drop, and I agreed it was an issue (I brought it up to him, and he started laughing). He thinks the defensive scheme is significantly flawed, and that they can't stop the run, which was obvious.

I would suspect the Jets will try and run the ball as well. I don't know what success the Jets o-line will have, and what the communication will be like. Honestly, Greene needs to have a big game, which he did 2 years ago in Oakland, but it was a different rushing offense then.

Overall, look for the Jets to complete short passes, over and over again. Cumberland will see significant time in this one, as Keller will be taken out of the game (if I was Oakland, I'd concentrate on the TE - YES, the TE, who will kill them).

That's very well thought out. But you see, we have this offensive coordinator who if he read this would probably think you're crazy. Expect five to seven step drops and throws to double covered receivers. Expect 3 Wr bunched on the same side all running 10 yards and stopping at the same time. That'll get em....

All League
    I haven't read about or watched much of the Raiders and what they do well but I would like to see us eventually get the running game going. That being said I do like their D-line, so this might not happen successfuly until Mangold returns.

If their D line is as nasty and agressive we should have some good screens available. I do think the TE's can have a big game, so the Raiders have to pick their poision and either double one of the 3 Keller, Plax or Holmes leaving one of them primed for a big game.

Sanchez plays well on the west coast, so hopefully he gets in a good rhythm and can stay accurate with the intermediate passing game. I easilly see another 30+ attempt game for Sanchez.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 09-21-2011 at 09:02 AM.

The bills literally ran the same play four or five times to get down the field for their game winning drive...I believe it was a two TE set running three comebacks and one inside slant...they just switched who was doing the inside slant on each play. And on each play, they connected because those raider defenders couldn't play press.

Now I'm guessing since this is the NFL, they're going to look to correct that for our game. So running some "sticks n go" third down plays and utilizing those screens should work great. Also, and this isn't something we'd ever see from Schotty, but since Tom Moore is now consulting, maybe we'll actually run a few TE screens for our 4.5 second-40 TE Cumberland to slash the middle of the field and open it up outside a bit....

This isn't the game to get the running game on track. We should wait to do that in NE with Mangold back. Hopefully by then Belly will have a passdefensed defensive scheme worked up for us and we can catch them off guard in the first half and get a few runs in...

Or at least, that's what I'd do...

Hall Of Fame
    I would guess LT, and maybe even McKnight, will see more time because the interior blocking will not be there.

All League
    they should be able to run the ball this week even with Baxter in there. oakland allowed 8.7 yds a carry last week to buffalo

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    they should be able to run the ball this week even with Baxter in there. oakland allowed 8.7 yds a carry last week to buffalo
    That's awful.

All Pro
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the Jets have only run the ball right up the middle in the first two games, presumably to take advantage of their all-pro center. Nothing outside whatsoever, no pitches, just up the middle. Don't you have to mix it up a bit just to keep them honest?

Now with Mangold out for a while, Schotty will prove himself nuts if he doesn't at least try something else. Oh, and by the way, I love LT to catch the ball on 3rd down, but running him up the middle these days is a wasted play.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

First off Jets aren't running 0n the Raiders when they are in their standard offense.
    Hey John did you every hear of defensive adjustments. Jets can think they can try the same thing that was sucessful in Buffalo. The Problem they don't have the personel or the QB to beat the Raiders using that type of offense. Qb better be extremely accurate .

Only explosive WR the Jets have is Santonio Holmes. Your getting rid of the football that fast and how effective is a Plaxico Burress going to be .

Jets go with the spread offense I would think You have two TE( Keller, Cumberland) and Two Wr (plax with Holmes) with one back in the backfield. (correct) The problem I see is raiders will zone blitz or simple drop more defenders back in short zone. What looks like a Te or Wr open is a defensivelinemnan right back their in coverage that sanchez wasn't counting on.

Draw plays that was so sucessful Raiders dlineman are waiting for that RB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    First off Jets aren't running 0n the Raiders when they are in their standard offense.
    Hey John did you every hear of defensive adjustments. Jets can think they can try the same thing that was sucessful in Buffalo. The Problem they don't have the personel or the QB to beat the Raiders using that type of offense. Qb better be extremely accurate .

Only explosive WR the Jets have is Santonio Holmes. Your getting rid of the football that fast and how effective is a Plaxico Burress going to be .

Jets go with the spread offense I would think You have two TE( Keller, Cumberland) and Two Wr (plax with Holmes) with one back in the backfield. (correct) The problem I see is raiders will zone blitz or simple drop more defenders back in short zone. What looks like a Te or Wr open is a defensivelinemnan right back their in coverage that sanchez wasn't counting on.

Hall Of Fame

All League
    when did the Raiders become the New england offense of 2007 and the 1985 Bears D?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I haven't read about or watched much of the Raiders and what they do well but I would like to see us eventually get the running game going. That being said I do like their D-line, so this might not happen successfuly until Mangold returns.

If their D line is as nasty and agressive we should have some good screens available. I do think the TE's can have a big game, so the Raiders have to pick their poision and either double one of the 3 Keller, Plax or Holmes leaving one of them primed for a big game.

Sanchez plays well on the west coast, so hopefully he gets in a good rhythm and can stay accurate with the intermediate passing game. I easilly see another 30+ attempt game for Sanchez.

+1..weak o-line. running..baxter looks like a finesse center more apt at pass blocking.....i think short passing game will be our running game..i agree another 30-40 passing attempts again this week...

All Pro

I hope you're at least pretty

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Are you the coach of the Raiders? Maybe if they listened to you they'd be good. But none of what you say actually happens, so I guess they don't listen to you, so they're not good. Now stay out of the big boy threads. I actually tried to make an observation on how the Raiders played, and not how you want them to.

All League

LOL