Thread: Added Size on Dline could be a factor

All Pro

Added Size on Dline could be a factor

Love the fact that we have 2 big strong "Tall" guys added into this mix.

Mo & Ropati could be a huge factor this week vs the Raiders.
    I've seen Campbell a lot & he gets a lot of passes batted down because he has a low release.

When you have two short guys like Devito & Pouha, having Mo & Pito changes the dynamic of the pass rush. I'm sure that Rex & Pettine have spent numerous hours with these guys teaching them to get their hands up when they don't get penetration.

Could be a key to this Sundays game.
    Others
    Obviously Baxter subbing for Mangold. I've seen many teams lose a center & seem to get along just fine. Granted Mangold is a all pro but the line as a whole has looked like crap & maybe this is the impetus for these guys to step it up & focus on what they are doing.

Stop the off tackle & edge running of McFadden. Probably the most important thing this defense needs to do to get Campbell in obvious passing downs.

This is the game that Sanchez has to go back to being a game manager, move the chains, convert in the redzone. We have more depth on defense & we have already seen two games where the Jets D seems to wear down mentally the opposing offense. It's not easy getting ready for, or playing a D that has a corner who takes out one side of the field & another guy that's no slouch in Cromarty. Only a handful of teams in the league with 1 great corner & 1 very good corner on the other side.

Rex & Pettine have put together a D that can all out blitz, sit back in a zone, go big & stout up front, get some height in there for passing downs.
    I see a lot of football each Sunday & not many teams have the diversity of players on their defense. Jets secondary is deep when they go nickel & dime, plus they have guys that have enough size to jam on the line of srimmage.

I see Rex telling his defense this week, "The offense will need some help on Sunday, lets get some short fields, & a few turnovers to help".

All League
    Pouha does a good job of batting balls down, even if you're calling him 'short'

Hall Of Fame
    I actually thought Baxter played pretty well given the circumstances in the Jags game. However, that was the Jags, a team in major flux, the real test should be against the Raiders. They have a very good defensive line.

Banned
    Put K. Ellis in there b/4 he gets thrown in jail! How is he supposed to get any better?! We need him and he has good potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Put K. Ellis in there b/4 he gets thrown in jail! How is he supposed to get any better?! We need him and he has good potential.
    Practicing and practicing is how he'll get better. I don't want Ellis for this game as much as last game because Oakland is better with the off tackle runs. Need guys with more athleticism and speed to get to the outside.

What scares me most is that I think Oakland's strength on D is their D-line and we don't have a great offensive line. Hunter is not playing well and Baxter is as new as it gets.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    +1 Pouha is a f'ing stud man...what a late bloomer!

Veteran
    save him as long as u can imo

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I actually thought Baxter played pretty well given the circumstances in the Jags game. However, that was the Jags, a team in major flux, the real test should be against the Raiders. They have a very good defensive line.
    agree in full

All Pro
    I guess the OP missed the Pito stinks thread from yesterday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Practicing and practicing is how he'll get better. I don't want Ellis for this game as much as last game because Oakland is better with the off tackle runs. Need guys with more athleticism and speed to get to the outside.

What scares me most is that I think Oakland's strength on D is their D-line and we don't have a great offensive line. Hunter is not playing well and Baxter is as new as it gets.
    Practice is nice but game time will help...plus he's supposed to be good vs. run and McFAdden is good!

Practice is nice but game time will help...plus he's supposed to be good vs. run and McFAdden is good!
    I don't think you have to worry about the runs up the middle that much. C Samson Satele and RG Cooper carlisle don't get much movement against 3-4 defenses. I don't expect raiders to have much sucess running up the middle. (unless Carlisle gets hurt and Bruce campbell come in- at some point this season Raiders are going to make this move)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Your right, I've seen that more & more. But Pouha plays low & gets a nice push.
    Mo & Pito don't have to get much push to still bat down Campbells passes.

If Jets keep constant pressure on D, I think Raiders revert to their mistake prone ways.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I don't think you have to worry about the runs up the middle that much. C Samson Satele and RG Cooper carlisle don't get much movement against 3-4 defenses. I don't expect raiders to have much sucess running up the middle. (unless Carlisle gets hurt and Bruce campbell come in- at some point this season Raiders are going to make this move)
    No one runs UP THE MIDDLE vs Jets, exercise in futility.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Love the fact that we have 2 big strong "Tall" guys added into this mix.

Mo & Ropati could be a huge factor this week vs the Raiders.

Stop the off tackle & edge running of McFadden. Probably the most important thing this defense needs to do to get Campbell in obvious passing downs".
    This will be a good test for Wilk and Rope. They will have to get a push into the backfield and secure the edge and force D Mac to the middle.

It will be exciting to see if these boys are up to the task. Rope needs to play with a little more athleticism.