Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix the defense....

Undrafted Free Agent

How to fix the defense....

Coming into the season all the talk was about how we would generate a pass rush.....after 3 weeks we are dead last in the AFC in rush defense. It might be time to let the big rookie from Hampton make his debut....even if he isnt ready, his size alone will help in HUGE ways

Rex said he'll suit up this week. I'm definitely excited to see him.

I'd like to see more of Mauga on defense as well. He gives us some much-needed speed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Just read in another thread that Rex said Kenrick will probably be active against Baltimore. His technique probably has a way to go, but he will command double-teams I think. Maybe he can free up Wilkerson to lay some hits on Uni-brow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    I'd like to see more of Mauga on defense as well. He gives us some much-needed speed.
    +1000000

I gotta agree... Kid looks like a player...

Would be great in a 2-4-5 look on obv passing downs...

All Pro
    Just start drafting defensive guys that played in the SEC.

ESS-EEE-CEE-SPEEEEEED

Just had to let that out. I swear, that's all I hear, all day long, on every Saturday during football season. It's one thing when it's the Florida or Alabama fans, but I can't take it when Kentucky fan wants to tell me about his team's SEC-speed.

All Pro
    Ellis showed much more then Wilk in the preseason. For a big guy the kid showed a lot of hustle and determination. He looks like he will only get better with playing time. It's about time he suited up.

All Pro
    There's one thing I notice about other good 3-4 teams in the league. They use certain ilb for passing downs and its effective. Maybe this is where Mauga can fit in with more playing time. We did this once when Parcells was here.

All League
    Anyone is better than what has showed up so far. Dead last against the run, what happened to ourtop 5 D? More like bottom five. Time for Rexypo to STFu and coach. He's all about having the best D in the league, and the best D will win the Super Bowl. Well lets see what he has as a coach.

Less wins than last year ( I know it's only week2), a declining D, an O that only shows up for parts of the game and an O-line that's going to get Sanchez killed... We wiil see if he Herms Sh!tty to save his job.

Rex is fun to watch and laugh at, but the team still makes the same mistakes going into his 3rd full season...Who will be the first to want him out of here? Time will tell.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DRevis24 View Post
    Coming into the season all the talk was about how we would generate a pass rush.....after 3 weeks we are dead last in the AFC in rush defense. It might be time to let the big rookie from Hampton make his debut....even if he isnt ready, his size alone will help in HUGE ways
    That's solely as a result on 1 bad game. That will happen when there is a small sample size of 3 games.

That said, KEllis should be in the rotation as should others.

The Raiders game was an anomaly based on bad angles and poor tackling.

DMC had 171 yds on 19 carries (9ypc), but 141 yds came on 5 carries (17 yds, 15 yds, 27 yds, 12 yds, & 70 yds) for a 28 ypc. In DMC's other 14 carries, he gained 30 yds (2.1 ypc).

The problem isn't the rush defense. The problem was poor execution on those 5 running plays in question.

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    what happened to ourtop 5 D? More like bottom five.
    In 32 chances, the NYJ's defense has only given up 7 conversions on 3rd down through 3 games...

Once we correct what is happening on 1st and 2nd down, this is obviously a top 5 defense...

The fact that you knee-jerkingly compare them to the dregs such as the Pasts, Cardinals, Dolphins, Rams and Chiefs is laughable...

Time for Rexypo to STFu and coach. He's all about having the best D in the league, and the best D will win the Super Bowl. Well lets see what he has as a coach.
    We've seen it. He belongs where he is...

Less wins than last year ( I know it's only week2), a declining D, an O that only shows up for parts of the game and an O-line that's going to get Sanchez killed... We wiil see if he Herms Sh!tty to save his job.
    It is week 3... Why would he need to save his job... He is nowhere near in jeopardy of losing it...

Rex is fun to watch and laugh at, but the team still makes the same mistakes going into his 3rd full season...Who will be the first to want him out of here? Time will tell.
    You are obviously the first one to want him out of here...

Why do you need time to tell? You've already made up your mind...

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That's solely as a result on 1 bad game. That will happen when there is a small sample size of 3 games.

DMC had 171 yds on 19 carries (9ypc), but 141 yds came on 5 carries (17 yds, 15 yds, 27 yds, 12 yds, & 70 yds) for a 28 ypc. In DMC's other 14 carries, he gained 30 yds (2.1 ypc).

The problem isn't the rush defense. The problem was poor execution on those 5 running plays in question.
    Is that, dare I say... Logic?

All League
    looking forward to seeing Ellis,looked pretty good in the presason

Would like to see a line rotation of Ellis,Ropati,and Mo,that's a huge front line

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... + 999999999999999999999 ...

... kid was impressive during his limited opportunities ... def brings more speed to ilb on passing downs! ...

l_j_r

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    looking forward to seeing Ellis,looked pretty good in the presason

Would like to see a line rotation of Ellis,Ropati,and Mo,that's a huge front line
    stacking the line with those beasts on passsing downs and unleashinig Mauga through the middle should produce qb pressure, hurries, hits, sacks etc

Veteran
    Our LB's are slow.

Teams are starting to exploit that with short swing passes, screens, and running to the outside.

The CB's have kept the opponents' from converting on third down. First & second downs have been problematic.

The lack of speed is why our defense lacks a pass rush. The LB's are supposed to put the pressure on the QB.

We need more speed & lateral movement out of our LB's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSET47 View Post
    Our LB's are slow.

Teams are starting to exploit that with short swing passes, screens, and running to the outside.

The CB's have kept the opponents' from converting on third down. First & second downs have been problematic.

The lack of speed is why our defense lacks a pass rush. The LB's are supposed to put the pressure on the QB.

We need more speed & lateral movement out of our LB's.
    +100000000000000000000000000000

right. and some teams are just better match ups. as i recall the rex jet defense also had some pretty bad games against rushing teams the past two seasons. but last week they totally contained jones-drew and they won't be facing backs like mcfadden that often. and this brings it full circle back to the offense and the special teams. if cromartie doesn't muff the kick off....if the offense can get a couple more first downs.....

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Hall Of Fame
    OK mods --you can close up all these Mr Fixit threads by the gloomers on the defensive side of the football

The great savior of NFL football, Aaron Maybin has returned to the Jets active roster

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Anyone is better than what has showed up so far. Dead last against the run, what happened to ourtop 5 D? More like bottom five. Time for Rexypo to STFu and coach. He's all about having the best D in the league, and the best D will win the Super Bowl. Well lets see what he has as a coach.

so the jets got to back to back title games out of pure luck?

stop with this sheepish bull****...wah wah stop talking

you stop talking