Thread: Calm down, we're still making the playoffs.

Veteran

Calm down, we're still making the playoffs.

Two road losses to good teams does not ruin an entire season. There are obviously problems with this team, but they are fixable. Missing Mangold has hurt this team more than we could have even imagined, and there’s no doubt in my mind he’ll be playing vs New England. We couldn’t protect Sanchez and couldn’t run the ball – getting Mangold back greatly helps both of those problems. Obviously, we still need to improve more across the OL if we’re going to be successful, but this team will figure it out.

For some more optimism, we still play Miami twice, Buffalo twice and Kansas City. In my mind, that’s 5 wins right there. Miami always plays us close but they are truly awful this year, I refuse to believe that Buffalo is a legitimate threat and this past week showed it, and Kansas City is atrocious.

This is a tough stretch in the schedule. Going to Oakland is always tough, and road games vs the Ravens and Patriots are games that most teams expect to lose. Going into the road trip, I figured 1-2 was pretty likely, so let’s look at the big picture and realize this team can still definitely go 11-5 or 10-6 and make a run when it counts. We still have a great defense, and the offense is not as bad as last night. Let’s all just calm down because when the Jets are in the playoffs for the third straight year, these early season losses won’t matter to us anymore.

All Pro
    If we still have that same stale offense against NE and Miami I want to see some kind of offensive coaching change during the bye. Someone has to lose at least their play calling duties.

Quote Originally Posted by bravesQB718 View Post
    Two road losses to good teams does not ruin an entire season. There are obviously problems with this team, but they are fixable. Missing Mangold has hurt this team more than we could have even imagined, and there’s no doubt in my mind he’ll be playing vs New England. We couldn’t protect Sanchez and couldn’t run the ball – getting Mangold back greatly helps both of those problems. Obviously, we still need to improve more across the OL if we’re going to be successful, but this team will figure it out.

For some more optimism, we still play Miami twice, Buffalo twice and Kansas City. In my mind, that’s 5 wins right there. Miami always plays us close but they are truly awful this year, I refuse to believe that Buffalo is a legitimate threat and this past week showed it, and Kansas City is atrocious.

This is a tough stretch in the schedule. Going to Oakland is always tough, and road games vs the Ravens and Patriots are games that most teams expect to lose. Going into the road trip, I figured 1-2 was pretty likely, so let’s look at the big picture and realize this team can still definitely go 11-5 or 10-6 and make a run when it counts. We still have a great defense, and the offense is not as bad as last night. Let’s all just calm down because when the Jets are in the playoffs for the third straight year, these early season losses won’t matter to us anymore.
    You're giving us a sweep of Buffalo and the Phins? We didn't even sweep the Phins last year when we were an actual good team. And there's nothing to suggest we're a better team than the Bills right now, let alone good enough to mark the 2 games off against them as guaranteed wins. This is blind homerism at its finest

All Pro
    Its not the losses its the way we lost. We got gashed in Oakland and couldnt move the ball at all in Balt.

This team has major problems.

The Patriots lost their starting OC for the year two games ago; Their starting RT has been out for two games. They replaced their starting OG just before the season started. Brady has thrown for more yardage than anyone n the history of the NFL and they even run the ball ok. And the Jets are cripped because they are missing their OC?

All Pro
    The Patriots lost their starting OC for the year two games ago; Their starting RT has been out for two games. They replaced their starting OG just before the season started. Brady has thrown for more yardage than anyone n the history of the NFL and they even run the ball ok. And the Jets are cripped because they are missing their OC?
    I agree. Line up and play with the guys you have. And we are not doing that.

All League
    Winning the division may be the only way to make the playoffs this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bravesQB718 View Post
    What about our play suggests that those 5 games are gimmees? Anything can happen in an NFL game especially with a team as inconsistent as the Jets.

I'm not suggesting the season is over - far from it. Fortunes rise and fall (and rise again) on a week to week basis. But, regardless of how the Jets progress over the next few weeks, there is no way that this team has any games in the bag. They've demonstrated that outside of #1 CB, every position on this team can falter.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by capetide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I agree. Line up and play with the guys you have. And we are not doing that.
    And all three of their backs are running for significant yardage. Bad O line or not, Shonn Greene's "performance" so far is just unacceptable. If I'm Rex, I look Shonn in the eye today and ask, "WTF are you doing? You either get to the f**king line and get us some yardage or you're third string behind McKnight and LT."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by capetide View Post
    I guess the pats have pretty good depth on the OL. Did you see Baxter out there last night? He was atrocious. He couldn't even snap the ball correctly at times and caused two fumbles.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Its not the losses its the way we lost. We got gashed in Oakland and couldnt move the ball at all in Balt.

This team has major problems.
    MAJOR.......no question. we look to be a 7 to 9 win team.

All Pro
    No we're not making the playoffs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I guess the pats have pretty good depth on the OL. Did you see Baxter out there last night? He was atrocious. He couldn't even snap the ball correctly at times and caused two fumbles.
    I'm not so sure either of those botched snaps were his fault. On the shotgun snap, it didn't seem as if Sanchez wasn't ready - it simply seemed like he threw a fastball which Sanchez didn't expect. Not a great snap to be sure, but one that should have been handled.

And the botched exchange under Center seemed to have hit Sanchez in the hands. I don't really know who was to blame there, but they both didn't seem egregious.

Baxter had a tough night, to be sure. But, it wasn't as if his horrid play stood out from an otherwise sterling performance by the Oline. He was pretty much in synch with the putrid performance of the rest of the guys.

One thing I noticed....the Oline doesn't seem to hold their primary block and instead moves on to the second and third level allowing the initial defender to make the play. Its good to want to get to the second level, but it would be nice to make sure that the first guy you block is actually blocked.

Practice Squad
    I think the pre-season was a clear indication of where our offense was. Our Offensive 1st unit didn't look impressive. Schotty's strategy as an Offensive Coordinator is garbage. We have to hang in there, don't know if a coaching change will help our offense. Schotty doesn't know how to adjust to the game. We have weapons, just don't know how to use them.