Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which OCs are really making a difference in today's NFL?

Veteran

Which OCs are really making a difference in today's NFL?

I think most people agree that Schotty's offense is neither creative nor adaptable given the Jet's personnel or situation. That said, I rarely see games besides the Jets and whomever they are playing.

Which OCs are really making a difference in today's NFL? Is the grass really greener on the other side of the fence?

Specifically, can anyone look at another team with our basic balance of offensive personnel and make a case for how things could be done differently?

Mike McCarthy

There are some great offensive coordinators that really stand out. Charlie Weiss is fantastic. McDaniels is very good. Billick was a solid play caller as well.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'm willing to be 95%+ of this forum are unable to answer, as they simply do not monitor and obsess and review the work of other teams O-Co's the way they do their own teams.

All Pro
    Well Schottenheimer is one coordinator that's making a big difference.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well Schottenheimer is one coordinator that's making a big difference.
    he brings tradition also

Hall Of Fame
    I want an offensive coordinator that I don't say "What the hell kind of play is that!" If I don't notice the guy I feel better about it because that means the QB is making the plays and making the guy look good.

fair enough question but there are also quite a few oc's that can't rely on their tem's defenses like schitty can with the jets. but since you want names how about daboll, or mcdaniel, or weis, or the guys with the falcons or detroit or green bay or houston or tennesee. any of those guys will do much better than schitty.

Banned
    Mike Mularkey.

All Pro
    Things to do this offseason;

--Dye my hair back to hide the white.

--Hire Curtis Johnson as our OC - no matter the cost.

Hall Of Fame

Miller: Cutler, Martz Aren’t Clicking

(CBS) During the Bears’ 34-29 victory on Sunday, the offense wasted two timeouts on one drive in the second half.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz couldn’t relay the play call to quarterback Jay Cutler in time, and two timeouts were ultimately wasted to avoid a delay of game.

Former Bears quarterback Jim Miller said that wouldn’t have been an issue during his time in Chicago.

“If I knew there was a situation where I we can’t afford to waste a timeout – or we shouldn’t afford to waste it – I would just call a play,” Miller told The McNeil and Spiegel Show on Monday. “… I had the flexibility to do it.

That way we weren’t wasting timeotus in those type of critical situations because we all know they’re valuable. They’re especially valuable when you’re in a tight ball game where the winner hasn’t been determined. With all these come back victories, I don’t know if it’s ever determined in the National Football League.”

It’s no secret Cutler has little control over the offense and that Martz is the only one calling the plays. Cutler isn’t allowed to audible or call a play at the line of scrimmage in the Bears’ offense.

“I think (Cutler’s) upset because everyting’s not clicking at a high level,” Miller said. “You want everything to be an efficient operation. It just doesn’t seem to be that efficient where everything is smooth.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/10/...rent-clicking/

All League
    although he is a head coach look at what Chan Gailey..who is a past long time o coodinator is doing with Buffao

Fitzpatrick was nothing before he got there

they have a very good offense..with who.Fred Jackson,Steve Johnson David Nelson

On paper we have a way more talented offense,but Buffalo's offense is light years ahead of the Jets

Also a head coach now but with a offensive backround Hue Jackson with the Raiders.Now they have a home run hitter with Mcfadden,but who else?Heyward-Bey.That rookie receiver who's name I don't know.Campell?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    There are some great offensive coordinators that really stand out. Charlie Weiss is fantastic. McDaniels is very good. Billick was a solid play caller as well.
    No fan of McDaniel. He destroyed Denver and what has he done with Bradford?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Things to do this offseason;

--Dye my hair back to hide the white.

--Hire Curtis Johnson as our OC - no matter the cost.
    Just wiki'd this dude, why him?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I want an offensive coordinator that I don't say "What the hell kind of play is that!" If I don't notice the guy I feel better about it because that means the QB is making the plays and making the guy look good.
    Great, great post. Hits the nail on the head.

Watching MNF 2 mins into the game Jaws was commenting about what a great gameplan the colts had for painter.... Short drops, high % throws, abd getting WRs open in space. Why can't we EVER do that?

If you think it's Sanchez just look at some of our routes... How can we never get anyone in a spot where they can run after the catch?

The offense never changed with a weak armed Chad, gunner in face, or someone who excels rolling out in Sanchez

Anyone can call plays and hope for the best. You NEED to look at your players, look at the strength abd weaknesses of the team you are playing abd attack the advantages. That's it and schotty can't do it. End of story.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    McDaniels and for all the fanfare he received last year, Bradford, both have struggled on offense this year.

For all the accolades he received based on reputation and his performance with the Rams, Mike Martz and the Bears aren't a very good offensive team.

Weiss' and the Chiefs weren't very good at all last year, that is why he's back at college this year.

Even Matt Ryan has struggled this year, and why? For one, he too is playing behind a struggling OL, as is Romo in Dallas for that matter, and Jason Garrett was lauded as a genius...

Look at how poor the Eagles have been this year under what most would think is a great offensive mind in Reid?

The Steelers have struggled offensively this year, they didn't change OC's.

The point? Even the good coaches go through ups and downs, the NFL is not an easy league to be consistently very good, much of it has to do with QB play, or how good the QB is, the exceptions are players like Manning and Brady.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    No fan of McDaniel. He destroyed Denver and what has he done with Bradford?
    McDainels did destroy Denver. He was not, and is not ready to be a head coach. AS a OC though he is very good. The problem in St. Louis is they have a horrid offensive line. As we all saw yesterday with Sanchez, or really any QB for that matter, if you don't have time to even find someone to throw it to then you're not going to do well. And on top of that St. Louis has crappy receivers and their only really weapon is an injury prone aging RB (who is a stud when he is healthy and on).

The problem with the topic in general is I think of the great OC's as the ones who pushed boundaries and created or popularized new style offenses. There isn't a ton of that going on right now. There is nothing new under the sun. So the best things they can do is adjust well in game and scheme utilizing what tools they do have and not try to fit the proverbial round peg into the square hole.

Veteran
    Some good points in this thread. I didn't realize how many names had changed seats in the past few years.

I think the Buffalo example is very fitting. I've yet to see a game of theirs, but they are certainly not bursting with talent and they've been able to put up points on a weekly basis.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Just wiki'd this dude, why him?
    Trust me, he's the best kept secret and people inside organizations know it. N.O. has done everything they can to keep him from interviewing.

All League
    Norv Turner. Singlehandedly revived Alex Smith's career for a year in SF and has led several high scoring and vaunted offenses over the past 20 years.

Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak can make 1,000 yard rushers out of anonymous RB's and good QB's out of retreads and untested backups.
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 10-03-2011 at 11:00 PM.