Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the offense is predictable, why doesn't the best defensive mind in the NFL see it

All League

If the offense is predictable, why doesn't the best defensive mind in the NFL see it

I mean honestly.

We've read the tweets and heard the quotes.

Why doesn't Rex, or anyone on the Jets staff just say, hey, these plays are predictable, lets change it up?

I don't care if Schotty is eventually fired. I just don't think the problem is predictability, its poor play design and momentum management.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I mean honestly.

Why doesn't Rex, or anyone on the Jets staff just say, hey, these plays are predictable, lets change it up?

I don't care if Schotty is eventually fired. I just don't think the problem is predictability, its poor play design and momentum management.
    All of the above are Schitty's responsibility.

Veteran
    A damning statement. Revolution is afoot! Cowher's the next
    coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I mean honestly.

I've never quite seen a term sum it up like this, and I think this truly hits it on the head perfectly. Momentum management is exactly it. The wrong plays at the wrong time. I don't know how exactly Rex can go about fixing this with Schotty, but it needs to be changed. The situational play-calling is downright pathetic.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey View Post
    I've never quite seen a term sum it up like this, and I think this truly hits it on the head perfectly. Momentum management is exactly it. The wrong plays at the wrong time. I don't know how exactly Rex can go about fixing this with Schotty, but it needs to be changed. The situational play-calling is downright pathetic.
    I thought this exactly was what Moore was called in for. Where has he been the last few games? Who knows, maybe Schoddy is on some kind of probation now with Moore waiting in the wings if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I thought this exactly was what Moore was called in for. Where has he been the last few games? Who knows, maybe Schoddy is on some kind of probation now with Moore waiting in the wings if need be.
    Hey I'm with ya on that. I dont understand why it hasn't been fixed, you would think NFL level coaches could figure this stuff out. We can only hope Moore gets more involved.

Hall Of Fame
    u can't manage momentum. that's why there's no such term as momentum management.

Banned
    Schottenheimer should have been fired last year after the Pittsburgh game. We get what we deserve.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    u can't manage momentum. that's why there's no such term as momentum management.
    You can kill momentum, no?

I think thats what was being referred to.

Veteran
    I read today Moore wants to get back into coaching in 2012 (Cimini?). Gotta think Rex will get first look?

I totally agree the offensive play calling did nothing to negate the pressure. We should have been ready for the pressure from the first snap. We all knew it was coming. No extra protection on Sanchez = terrible. We didn't call a RB screen until late in the 4th Qtr. All around terrible, we did not even compete

Veteran
    I imagine, or at least hope, that Rex does see it. We do and the players sure as heck know it. The only explanation for Scharty still having a job is NEPOTISM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Schottenheimer should have been fired last year after the Pittsburgh game. We get what we deserve.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    I imagine, or at least hope, that Rex does see it. We do and the players sure as heck know it. The only explanation for Scharty still having a job is NEPOTISM.
    That's precisely it. They don't have the balls to fire him. I think he will be "forced" to resign next year but it will be masked in some way. Too much chummy chummy BS.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I read today Moore wants to get back into coaching in 2012 (Cimini?). Gotta think Rex will get first look?

I totally agree the offensive play calling did nothing to negate the pressure. We should have been ready for the pressure from the first snap. We all knew it was coming. No extra protection on Sanchez = terrible. We didn't call a RB screen until late in the 4th Qtr. All around terrible, we did not even compete
    Let's not pretend Moore is some offensive genius. He basically let Peyton Manning run the offense, which is a pretty smart thing to do. But the Jets don't have Peyton Manning.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You can kill momentum, no?

I think thats what was being referred to.

Perhaps momentum defibrillator is a more appropriate label of responsibility?

Does anyone else get the sense that Rex does not have the authority to fire his OC? I sure do.

They only way to get him fired would probably be a revolution from the players. That would start with the D consistently shutting down the O in practice.

Problem is we're too thin to even practice 11 on 11 with pads.

Pats opening 9.5 faves is all you need to know about where we are. We've been beat pretty soundly in 3 of 4 games.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Let's not pretend Moore is some offensive genius. He basically let Peyton Manning run the offense, which is a pretty smart thing to do. But the Jets don't have Peyton Manning.
    Totally agree with your post. And we think the Jets have no running game? Without Manning's one-of-a-kind passing ability, the Colts were an average team at best who couldn't run for a yard if the season depended on it.

As good as Moore has been, I don't see him as our OC. Mark just does not have Manning's passing gift or smarts (at least not yet) at seeing the field and changing out of plays at the line, which makes Moore's system work well. I want Tanny to go out and find us the "next great mind" in the world of OCs. College, other NFL teams, CFL, Dunkin Donuts, I don't care. Just do an exhaustive search and bring that guy here.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cornjulio21 View Post
    Does anyone else get the sense that Rex does not have the authority to fire his OC? I sure do.

They only way to get him fired would probably be a revolution from the players. That would start with the D consistently shutting down the O in practice.

Problem is we're too thin to even practice 11 on 11 with pads.

Pats opening 9.5 faves is all you need to know about where we are. We've been beat pretty soundly in 3 of 4 games.
    ding ding ding. winner! The decision to keep Schott around was made before Rex was hired and Woody and Tannenbaum have stubbornly stuck to it, despite tremendous criticism from the fans, media and even from players. I'll bet that Rex does not have the complete control most of us think. Even in year one, when asked about his offensive plan, he deferrred that to something in the nature of "better hands", virtully admitting that he had little to say about that elemnet of the game or about who would be controlling it. 3 years in and two AFC Championship games later, one would think that Rex would have more of a say.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    ding ding ding. winner! The decision to keep Schott around was made before Rex was hired and Woody and Tannenbaum have stubbornly stuck to it, despite tremendous criticism from the fans, media and even from players. I'll bet that Rex does not have the complete control most of us think. Even in year one, when asked about his offensive plan, he deferrred that to something in the nature of "better hands", virtully admitting that he had little to say about that elemnet of the game or about who would be controlling it. 3 years in and two AFC Championship games later, one would think that Rex would have more of a say.
    that's an interesting and alarming thought.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    that's an interesting and alarming thought.
    sometimes i wonder if Schotty or his daddy have pictures of Woody or his family members having sex with farm animals. Why oh why do they keep this awful OC around?