Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answer at Saftey: Brodney Pool

Veteran

Answer at Saftey: Brodney Pool

Good article- identifies a clear Rex weakness: he plays his favorites to the detriment of overall team performance.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/...rage?ref=yahoo

New York Jets Problem: Safeties in Coverage

The Problem: The starting safeties are not very good in coverage. Eric Smith is strong against the run and a good situational player. He is also too slow to cover athletic tight ends. Jim Leonhard is a very instinctual player with a good nose for the ball. He makes a lot of great plays. His 5'8" 188 pound frame makes him a mismatch against big tight ends. If paired with a good cover guy, either would be fine. Together, they do not make a very good pair.

Who Is to Blame: Rex Ryan has to take most of the heat on this one. Even assuming Kerry Rhodes was too much of a locker room problem, there was no reason to start this pair together other than they are both a coaches' dream with their attitudes, brains, and work ethics. Never mind the Jets were great at the position in coverage at the end of last year with these guys out playing a Brodney Pool-Dwight Lowery duo. For some reason, Pool has ended up on the bench, and Lowery, a converted corner who made big plays against the pass fell completely out of favor and was traded to Jacksonville. It is tough to imagine Mike Tannenbaum making the move if his defensive minded coach did not sign off. The Jets would have had a good mix at the position had they rotated the four. Smith and Leonhard are good against the run. Lowery is good in coverage. Pool is a good all around player.

Viable Options to Fix the Problem: They could start the guy who looked like a complete safety and a great playmaker in Pool near the end of last season. He is better than either current starter.

Prognosis: Smith and Leonhard are coaches' favorites. The staff seems to want to talk itself into this duo because it likes both players. They are both smart guys who have their strong points. You want heady guys as the last line of defense. More important, though, is having guys athletic enough to make plays when needed and match up with athletic gamebreakers. Pool fits this bill better, but he is rotting on the bench despite being the best safety on the team. The staff has not come around yet. I cannot say when or if it will happen. Based on what I have seen, I am not optimistic.
    Agree with every word.

Rex playing his favorites have resulted in a defense that has finished 1st and 3rd in the NFL.

Sorry but I think it's pretty stupid to try to find a weakness.

All Pro
    Pool is always getting some serious burn after we get shred in the first quarter. It was that way against Dallas and against Baltimore. In both these games the opposition attacked Smith early and it went for big gains. Pool is our most talented safety and he should see more time. Smith and Leonard are both good players at what they do but they are certainly a mismatch in coverage. Smith was awful against Baltimore. That long underthrown pass to Torrey Smith that Smitty defended should have been an easy interception.

All League
    Smith should not be starting.Don't get me wrong I like Smith when his role si and extra db playing down in the box where he can just knock the snot out of people.

I question Rex on this and his mancrush for Westerman

Veteran
    Getting rid of Kerry Rhodes was pretty smart. Rex sure made the team better with that decision.

All Pro
    One of the few things I dont understand about Rex and his defense.

We play a lot of "Zero" coverage where the safety's are asked to play man which eliminates help over the top. Wouldn't you want athletic, cover safties so they won't get burned when they don't have help behind them. He requires this of his CB's but not his Safeties???

I understand that Smith and Leonhard are smart, hard working, blah blah blah, but they don't make a good duo. This is one of the reasons we have been susceptible to the big play on D IMO.

I would start Pool with Leonhard IMO with Smitty getting a decent amount of snaps but hey what do I know? I'm just a fan.

I wonder what would have happened if we landed Meriweather?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Smith should not be starting.Don't get me wrong I like Smith when his role si and extra db playing down in the box where he can just knock the snot out of people.

I question Rex on this and his mancrush for Westerman
    I agree with you on both points. A kid like Marquice Cole never gets a chance to play CB while Strickland gets every opportunity. Cole is much faster and we need speed in our secondary. It seems like he can cover as well. POOLE gets zilch but Smith gets major playing time and smells up the field at times. The mancrushes must stop. this is football and the HC is here to win, not reward the players he likes. The best players should play!

You prefer Pool over Smith and that's OK. Rex prefers Smith over Pool and it's a man crush. Come on.

All League
    I didn't mind getting rid of Rhodes because he tackled like a girl.

But Brodney Pool should start alongside Leonhard.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bentonjetsfan View Post
    You prefer Pool over Smith and that's OK. Rex prefers Smith over Pool and it's a man crush. Come on.
    Then how would you explain why Smith starts over Poole? He is much slower and can not cover. He is not nearly as athletic as Poole and Brodney can cover. Poole and Leonhard would be a much better safety combination. Why not try to develop Lowery at safety? He was intense and could hit! But now he is in jacksonville and Smith is stumbling his way to the dumpster! Yet Rex plays the guy and brags about him. He sure does know lots more then I do about football. I am only a fan but SMITH can not be a starting safety IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    Good article- identifies a clear Rex weakness: he plays his favorites to the detriment of overall team performance.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/...rage?ref=yahoo

Agree with every word.
    x1000
    I still cringe everytime I see Smith and Leonhard getting burned in coverage.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Pool is always getting some serious burn after we get shred in the first quarter. It was that way against Dallas and against Baltimore. In both these games the opposition attacked Smith early and it went for big gains. Pool is our most talented safety and he should see more time. Smith and Leonard are both good players at what they do but they are certainly a mismatch in coverage. Smith was awful against Baltimore. That long underthrown pass to Torrey Smith that Smitty defended should have been an easy interception.
    This is the problem! Why isn't Pool starting? He has to come in and fix the crap after Smith gets us burned, so why is he on the bench?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    Getting rid of Kerry Rhodes was pretty smart. Rex sure made the team better with that decision.
    Kerry was to blame for this as well. If he would have worked with Thurman they never would have cut him. It was his attitude that got him the hook.

All Pro
    No the guy getting burned on the regular yet still keeps his starting job= mancrush. We are asking for the better/more effective player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Then how would you explain why Smith starts over Poole? He is much slower and can not cover. He is not nearly as athletic as Poole and Brodney can cover. Poole and Leonhard would be a much better safety combination. Why not try to develop Lowery at safety? He was intense and could hit! But now he is in jacksonville and Smith is stumbling his way to the dumpster! Yet Rex plays the guy and brags about him. He sure does know lots more then I do about football. I am only a fan but SMITH can not be a starting safety IMO.
    I liked Lowery too but every safety mentioned has his limitations and his strengths. Rex, like you, makes his best judgment about which player is the one to go with. It has nothing to do with a man crush. He isn't keeping Ronnie Lott on the bench. Rex always says stop the run first. Smith is better at that than Pool.

All Pro
    I agree that Poole should start.

Hall Of Fame
    I liked Lowery too but every safety mentioned has his limitations and his strengths. Rex, like you, makes his best judgment about which player is the one to go with. It has nothing to do with a man crush. He isn't keeping Ronnie Lott on the bench. Rex always says stop the run first. Smith is better at that than Pool.
    Then why is Smith in there during obvious passing situations. Rex likes the guy. He said so himself many times. And that is fine as he is the HC. I just think POOLE is better then Smith based on what little info I have. He certainly is faster and covers much better. He was dynamite in the playoffs last year when Leonard was hurt. I think POOLE would make the secondary better immediately. Smith is a major liability IMO. You did notice how Baltimore attacked him all game long and made him look silly. He was the weak link and yet REX kept him in. Please explain that one!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 10-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    x1000
    I still cringe everytime I see Smith and Leonhard getting burned in coverage.
    It happens every game lately.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Then why is Smith in there during obvious passing situations. Rex likes the guy. He said so himself many times. And that is fine as he is the HC. I just think POOLE is better then Smith based on what little info I have. He certainly is faster and covers much better. He was dynamite in the playoffs last year when Leonard was hurt. I think POOLE would make the secondary better immediately. Smith is a major liability IMO. You did notice how Baltimore attacked him all game long and made him look silly. He was the weak link and yet REX kept him in. Please explain that one!

It's not hard to explain Rex's decision here. Smith may be a weak link against the pass but his strength against the run made it a fair tradeoff in Rex's judgment. Again, Rex focuses on stopping the run 1st and Smith is better than Poole at that. Maybe we'll see more of Poole this week. I like them both but love neither of them.