Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Serious Schotty Question...

  1. #1

    Serious Schotty Question...

    Let's say the Jets lay an offensive egg this week against the Pats and the Jets fire Schotty on Monday.

    In all seriousness, who steps up as our OC? Bill Callahan? Tom Moore?

    Tom Moore is a consultant and we are all assuming the guy would want to run the show. Perhaps he is just a step away from retirement and wants a part time gig.

    Ok so that leaves Callahan. Who is going to run the O-line? And also, what do we know about this guy as an offensive coordinator? I realize he was OAK's head coach when they went to the big game, but admittedly don't know much about his resume beyond that.

    Disclaimer: This is not a doom and gloom thread. It's a serious question because to be honest, something tells me if the Jets offensive ****s the bed again this week, Schotty gets canned either after this week or following the Dolphins game if nothing improves.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    Let's say the Jets lay an offensive egg this week against the Pats and the Jets fire Schotty on Monday.

    In all seriousness, who steps up as our OC? Bill Callahan? Tom Moore?

    Tom Moore is a consultant and we are all assuming the guy would want to run the show. Perhaps he is just a step away from retirement and wants a part time gig.

    Ok so that leaves Callahan. Who is going to run the O-line? And also, what do we know about this guy as an offensive coordinator? I realize he was OAK's head coach when they went to the big game, but admittedly don't know much about his resume beyond that.

    Disclaimer: This is not a doom and gloom thread. It's a serious question because to be honest, something tells me if the Jets offensive ****s the bed again this week, Schotty gets canned either after this week or following the Dolphins game if nothing improves.
    You really should try google. It saves a lot of time. 4 seasons as Raiders OC, and a Superbowl with Gannon. Then head coach, and OC of the Raiders. Led the league in passing yards and total offense.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 10-05-2011 at 02:43 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You really should try google. It saves a lot of time. 4 seasons as Raiders OC, and a Superbowl with Gannon. Then head coach of the Raiders.
    oh wow thanks! ok so do you think he would be the one to take the position? or tom moore?? the main question posed still hasn't been answered...

    i tried the google but it didnt answer the question for me.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,514
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    oh wow thanks! ok so do you think he would be the one to take the position? or tom moore?? the main question posed still hasn't been answered...

    i tried the google but it didnt answer the question for me.
    I don't think Moore would want to do it, and I'm not sure Callahan would stand for it. So it would probably be him. He did set quite a few records, and led the league in offense and passing yards one year, but was that him or Gannon? He didn't fair to well in Nebraska. I don't think he's allowed back there.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,514
    He can definitely make adjustments. I think he's the only coach to win a game passing 60 times and a game rushing over 60 times in the same season. They set the record for fewest sacks allowed 2 years in a row too. Can't say Shotty's in danger of breaking those.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,562
    Schotty will not be fired on Monday

  7. #7
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    192
    Callahan for sure. If Shotty poops the bed again man...i would love to be a fly on the wall when Rex goes off on him.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,586
    Callahan should have been running the show several years ago. I seriously doubt Schitty is going to lose his job anytime this season. My fear is our Offense sucks all season long and they still bring the bum back next year.

  9. #9
    callahan should step in as oc. he was a candidate for the oc job with the titans but rex stepped in and blocked it. callahan could be named oc and given a 3 year contract as oc. that would probably do the trick.

    i don't know if rex or tanny have finally come to the same conclusion as most people about schitty. schitty is losing the team (at least in the papers) but as we saw with tiki/coughlin the player is the guy who is most in the wrong. i'm sure rex and tanny will be giving schitty all the benefit of the doubt. this may change if sanchez steps up and tells rex what he thinks. it's more important for the qb to bring the news than some disgruntled wr or rb.

    will schitty be fired mid season? don't know. i can only hope. but at the same time the jets have a game to win against a team with a very poor defense so they really should be able to pull this one out, schitty or no schitty.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,477
    Although, Callahan may have been listed as the OC in Oakland, it was Gruden who called the plays. When Gruden left the Raiders, Callahan took over and took the Raiders to the SB against the Gruden-led Buccaneers. After that, things started going south fast especially after Callahan called out the Raiders as being a dumb team after a loss-- there was mutiny after that. Callahan went to Nebraska where I don't think things went well there either but don't know too much about it. Then he resurfaced here as O-line coach.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,917
    You don't need to fire the guy. Just take the play calling away from him and see how we do. We need to see how our offense looks with someone else calling the plays. We already know it looks better in the no huddle.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    The time to fire Schotty was last February. Firing him now will not help matters.

    as for Callahan, he's got enough on his plate.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Shoddy will not be fired mid-season.

    Even if he were, is there really a great reason to hand the offense to Callahan who is in charge of the running game and o-line? Both of which, last time I checked, suck.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You really should try google. It saves a lot of time. 4 seasons as Raiders OC, and a Superbowl with Gannon. Then head coach, and OC of the Raiders. Led the league in passing yards and total offense.
    Jon Gruden's offense. I think Gruden even called the plays while he was there. Also had the team implode on him 2 years after SB.

    Team was also really old at that point and had crazy Al.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Tyme View Post
    Although, Callahan may have been listed as the OC in Oakland, it was Gruden who called the plays. When Gruden left the Raiders, Callahan took over and took the Raiders to the SB against the Gruden-led Buccaneers. After that, things started going south fast especially after Callahan called out the Raiders as being a dumb team after a loss-- there was mutiny after that. Callahan went to Nebraska where I don't think things went well there either but don't know too much about it. Then he resurfaced here as O-line coach.
    Yeah. That's what I was trying to say.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Even if he were, is there really a great reason to hand the offense to Callahan who is in charge of the running game and o-line? Both of which, last time I checked, suck.
    +1 callahan has his hands full he doesn't deserve a promotion

    maybe Westoff can run the offense.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    +1 callahan has his hands full he doesn't deserve a promotion

    maybe Westoff can run the offense.
    Now THAT's a petition I would sign.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Schotty will not be fired on Monday
    this is true ... but at least I can come back here and stare at your signature.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,627
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    +1 callahan has his hands full he doesn't deserve a promotion

    maybe Westoff can run the offense.
    Westoff would probably have us run the wishbone triple option if he were made OC.

  20. #20
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    263
    We haven't even run the ball enough this year to know if the running game sucks or not. He also had the best running game over the last two years. I agree, ot would be a lot on his plate though given that Mangold is still out. McNally would have to be bumped up to full-time, if he would accept that.

    Playcalling has been stripped numerous times and sometimes the result is outstanding. Incapable OL look very capable, QBs look very different, and the entire offense looks a lot better. Sometimes it doesn't improve. IMO, offensively we are teetering on the edge and a decision will have to be made shortly.

    In any event, If the offense doesn't improve then Callahan will take over the OC duties because both of their contracts expire I believe at the end of the season. Anybody know for sure about the contracts? If anything, Rex has to find out if Callahan is OC worthy for the Jets because Schotty is out of contact after this year.

    If I was the front office or Rex, I don't want to lose Callahan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us