Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More games in UK

All League

More games in UK

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...multiple-times
    NFL owners Tuesday approved a resolution to continue playing regular-season games in the United Kingdom through the 2016 season.

The vote, which came during the NFL Fall Meeting in Houston, authorizes the league to schedule regular-season games in the U.K. in each of the next five years. The new resolution:

Allows teams to volunteer to play at least one regular-season game per year as a home team in the U.K. for up to five years.

Enables the league to determine the appropriate number of U.K. games per season, based on the popularity of the sport in the market and the number of teams that volunteer to play as a home team.

"The response to NFL games being played in the U.K. continues to be exceptional," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Because of the outstanding support of our British fans, we are confident that hosting additional games in the U.K. will be well received and support our goal of bringing football to more fans in the U.K. and beyond."

The international series of regular-season games to date has contributed to increased NFL fan interest in the U.K., with a current fan base of 11 million, including more than 2 million avid fans, a 32 percent increase in the past two years.

Television ratings have also shown tremendous growth -- with Sunday viewership of NFL games up 91 percent and the Super Bowl audience increased 74 percent since 2006 -- while the league has developed new and stronger business partnerships.

"When the initial resolution was approved in 2006, the thinking at the time was that we would have two new teams every year," NFL Vice President of International Chris Parsons said. "As the series evolved, we felt as though having a team return to the U.K. on a regular basis would certainly increase the fan base for that particular team, which in turn would drive fan growth for the entire league. We think there is a tremendous benefit for a team to return to the U.K. on an annual basis."

NFL owners approved a resolution in 2006 to present up to two international regular-season games per season from 2007-2011.

This year's game on Oct. 23 between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears will be the fifth NFL regular-season game played at London's Wembley Stadium and is the final one as part of the initial resolution.
    Look for fish to be first to volunteer - at least they may have full stadium in London.
    Gonna suck for West Coast teams.

Rookie
    I'm all in favor of teams and the NFL trying to grow the global brand but you don't see the English Premier League coming to play regular season games in the states....it's an American game, keep it in America....and you're definitely right, the fins would step up right to the plate to make up for all that revenue lost in a half full Sun Life Stadium

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    I'm all in favor of teams and the NFL trying to grow the global brand but you don't see the English Premier League coming to play regular season games in the states....it's an American game, keep it in America....and you're definitely right, the fins would step up right to the plate to make up for all that revenue lost in a half full Sun Life Stadium
    Would you have a problem though with a team in Canada or Mexico? I wouldn't.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... this, along with the bills eventual move up north of the border eh, are the league's baby steps at global growth ...

... very smart business move ...

... i'd like to see it eventually evolve to 2 home & home division rivals playing 2 times a year ... so a team wouldn't lose their homefield advantage that season ... it may also help with the london fans caring more about certain players & buying jerseys hats etc!, if they get to see them twice during the season ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    I say "yeah" since a 7000 mile round trip to see the Jets play is a pain.
    BTW I'm over for the Chargers game on the 23rd.
    I do notice the "home" team is always the suck teams that fail to fill their stadiums. So it's Fins and Buc's every year.
    It would be cool to see the Jets kick the Fins butt at Wembly.
    Bring back the "Squish the Fish" banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyjetsbfc View Post
    Wouldn't make the trip, but that would be memorable.

Undrafted Free Agent
    i'm in .NFL should expand all over the world so that all people would enjoy the football with us .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyjetsbfc View Post
    I say "yeah" since a 7000 mile round trip to see the Jets play is a pain.
    BTW I'm over for the Chargers game on the 23rd.
    I do notice the "home" team is always the suck teams that fail to fill their stadiums. So it's Fins and Buc's every year.
    Bring back the "Squish the Fish" banner!
    Yeah, and that's the biggest issue for the long-term viability of the London games. If they keep sending crappy teams - the only ones willing to give up a home game - interest in the experience could soon wane.

Most of the people that go to the London games are die-hard fans who have followed the game for years from afar. So they know who the good and bad teams are. And, given the price of tickets, these fans won't always be prepared to pay to watch the likes of the Bucs.

When they sent over the Saints and the Chargers - no problem, tickets sold out very fast and there was a heavy demand on the resale market. But for this game, ticket sales have been slow and they might struggle to sell out the stadium.

I love having games so close but, if only the poorer teams are willing to give up a home game, the fan demand could fall off and make the game unsustainable as an annual event.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Would you have a problem though with a team in Canada or Mexico? I wouldn't.
    that's on the continent at least.....i wouldn't want teams giving up home games (even though they are getting compensation) to fly overseas and play in a country whose time zone difference is anywhere from 5 to 8 hours (depending on where the team is based). the players hate it and it just won't work unless you're the dolphins or even chargers for that matter who borderline on blackout almost every week

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Love the idea and can't wait for the Jets to play there. Looking forward to planning a vacation around it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Love the idea and can't wait for the Jets to play there. Looking forward to planning a vacation around it.
    Yeh.. Nothing is nicer then London in November for vacation purposes

All League
    I didn't pay for a PSL to lose home game tickets. Send them a preseason game, they can have that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Yeh.. Nothing is nicer then London in November for vacation purposes
    I don't know about people in the former Soviet Union, but I wouldn't plan a vacation to London around good weather. It's not a beach or ski vacation, so who gives a crap what November is like there?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I don't know about people in the former Soviet Union, but I wouldn't plan a vacation to London around good weather. It's not a beach or ski vacation, so who gives a crap what November is like there?

RG is teh Soviet ghey. He seeks warm weather in hopes of seeing muscley Western men in tight shorts.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    that's on the continent at least.....i wouldn't want teams giving up home games (even though they are getting compensation) to fly overseas and play in a country whose time zone difference is anywhere from 5 to 8 hours (depending on where the team is based). the players hate it and it just won't work unless you're the dolphins or even chargers for that matter who borderline on blackout almost every week
    So within the US that rules out Hawaii getting a team for the same reasons. Not that I'm disagreeing with you...the time one difference is a big deal. But they do somehow manage to make U of Hawaii games work. Maybe London could work if we get more creative with the scheduling and be willing to make some allowances for them?

All League
    The NFL already has more than enough teams, enough with this crap already, fkn greed.

All League
    Move the Jaguars to London

All Pro
    i honestly dont give a ****, teams like NY JETS, NY GIANTS, DALLAS, PHILI, NEW ENGLAND, BALTIMORE, CHICAGO, GREEN BAY, wont ever have to subject them selves to a HOME (away) GAME

Waterboy
    A Franchise anywhere outside of the US (mexico & canada exempt, as per earlier post) is a TERRIBLE notion!
    The only thing that could work would be for a particular team to maybe share 2 grounds like GB did with Lambeau & Milwaukee county stadium?
    and by playing possibly 1 or 2 games a season somewhere over here (europe) then a very passionate fan base would be held both sides of the pond should a particular poorly supported establishment seek a bigger following???
    The true football fans over here all agree a permanent move by any club is awful but everyone takes the International Series as a brilliant gesture and the 1 game a season is highly appreciated but anymore than that is not only a logistical issue but the fact the "Home" team actually gives up its true home base for a game is always a handicap,,,, but it does makes me support them (whichever is the home team) when the games are played at Wembley (Go Bucs tomorrow )
    But ask any UK Premier League supporter and they would scorn you for supporting any of the big team Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal etc. clubs for playing any home games outside their cities nevermind country???
    ,,,but it`s all about growing the NFL brand and obvious financial aspect but Goodell and the NFL board should tread very lightly with it all and remember what a disaster NFL Europe was.
    And please, although I reside over here in Blighty and walk to my office in my bowler hat and briefcase to consume copious amounts of tea before my fish n chips then be assured I recall the days of Joe Walton, Leon hess and 598 Madison avenue so not your average glory seeking newby/rookie NFL follower
    Oh,,,try having a look at the crowd shots tomorrow should anyone watch the Chi v Tam game and you never know but an 80k attendance or thereabouts might result in a skirmish between and opposing fans as we not only created Football/Soccer but that other trait Hooliganism ,,,,JOKE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... this, along with the bills eventual move up north of the border eh, ...
    That's wrong. How would you like for the Jets to move to Canada, or lets just say... LA or LV? Wouldn't feel so good, would it? Buffalo has a great fan base, with die hard fans who love their team from Buffalo. Take that away from them, so fans from Canada can enjoy them? Nice to know. Buffalo has filled 94.0% of their stadium this year. When's the last time they've made the playoffs? It's been forever. But the fans continue to show love and support. I'll use the Bengals as an example. They've only been able to fill 69.5% of their stadium with fans. Buffalo has a great fan base. To remove their team is wrong. Wake me up when Canada gives America the Toronto Maple Leafs. Even last season, after an 0-8 start, Buffalo averaged 85.6% in stadium attendance with an average of 63,195 fans per game. In 2009 they averaged 70,128 fans per game with their stadium being 95.9% full.

Remove a team, from one of the most loyal NFL fan bases around? Pathetic. I hate the Bills as a team, because I'm a Jets fan, but as a Jets fan... I respect the **** out of Buffalo fans. They've never once quit on their team. No matter how bad they've sucked, how how long it's been since they've last won a super bowl... These fans from Buffalo show up every game, during blizzard conditions/freezing like temperatures.