Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Specific Things We Can Do to Improve Offense

All League

10 Specific Things We Can Do to Improve Offense

Without including "fire schotty" as one, here are my Top 10 things the Jets can do today to improve on offense:

1. Kill the no back set. Favre really liked it, but it just does not work for Sanchez and this Jets team. The offensive line is not as good so when we go empty Sanchez can only throw the slant and the opposing defenses are camping that play.

2. Kill the 7 yard RB deep formation. We run 99.5% of the time from this formation, and almost every time off tackle. I know it, you know it and sure as hell the opposing D knows it.

3. Stop putting Mulligan Conner or Greene out wide. Our opponents know we are not going to throw to them so they stick a LB on them which makes it harder for our other receivers to get open since it essentially adds a DB to the mix to cover the other receivers. If you want a RB out wide, put someone out there who is a threat: McKnight or LT, never these others.

4. Adjust the spacing on the OL Our OL has gotten too bunched in an attempt to help the line cover the speed rush. Problem is that it has taken away our running lanes, and led to a lot of collapsed pockets from bull rushes. Look at any other top offense and their OL spacing is much wider than ours

5. Throw crossing routes I think this one may be the one that gets me the most. The offense we play is based around mid-range pass plays and key to those are crossing routes. But we NEVER run crossing routes. Keller should be running these all day not just wheel routes. San Diego has the same offensive scheme and it seems like it is all they run. And they carve teams up with it, yet it is not part of our offense at all

6 Throw more SCREENS,outs, posts, skinny posts, and out an ups. Our receivers seem to run almost entirely lately short slants, curls and dig routes often in the same exact space. Sanchez is actually very good at out patterns and posts (against NE the one post we ran it seemed was a TD). This is his strength, but we do not go to it any where near enough. Schottenheimer avoids the screen like it is a disease or something. Yet with our struggling o-line it is one of the best and safest ways to slow down the rush and get positive yards, and we have McKnight and LT both of whom are dangerous in the screen game

7. Limit the short slant Not Sanchez' strength as he tends to throw them too hard and behind the receiver. Yet we throw them all the time. Since DBs have no fear of a double move, they squat on our receivers especially in 4 and 5 wide and make it really difficult to throw this pass. Sanchez is not good at all at second window slants either which makes this worse

8. Roll Sanchez out much more Especially to his right, Sanchez best strength is throwing on the run. Yet we don't roll out at all for a couple weeks, then do it 10 times in one game and defenses look for it. Do it often but not excessively so and we can get a lot of positive plays from this

9. Give Joe McKnight 5-10 touches a game Joe has to be most improved Jet this year and you could make an argument that he has been our MVP (for what it is worth) for the first 5 games. He has turned from an out of shape underachiever with entitlement issues, to a dynamic playmaker willing to whatever it takes for his team. His burst is exceptional. You have to find a way to get McKnight 5-10 touches a game in the open field. He has earned it.

10-maybe the biggest RUN THE K-GUN Sanchez is a completely different QB in the hurry up offense. Of all the things he does well, he does this the best. The Jets simply must incorporate the hurry up into all phases of the game from the first drive to the last. Honestly, if it were me I would run the K-gun exclusively as the Jets offense, outside of the 4 min offense or to protect a lead late in a game. Sanchez is a dynamic playmaker in the hurry up, makes better decisions and leads the Jets to scores. Why we do not leverage this as much as possible I do not know

There are certainly others, like remembering what the word "draw" means, but I think it we made these 10 slight realistic adjustments we could become a much more dynamic and effective offense right away.

All League
    10 Specific Things We Can Do to Improve Offense ***FIXED***

1. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

2. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

3. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

4. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

5. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

6 Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

7. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

8. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

9. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

10. Fire Brian Schittenheimer!

Hall Of Fame
    Fire Schottenheimer.

Veteran
    johnnysd for OC

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Without including "fire schotty" as one, here are my Top 10 things the Jets can do today to improve on offense:

1. Kill the no back set. Favre really liked it, but it just does not work for Sanchez and this Jets team. The offensive line is not as good so when we go empty Sanchez can only throw the slant and the opposing defenses are camping that play.

2. Kill the 7 yard RB deep formation. We run 99.5% of the time from this formation, and almost every time off tackle. I know it, you know it and sure as hell the opposing D knows it.

3. Stop putting Mulligan Conner or Greene out wide. Our opponents know we are not going to throw to them so they stick a LB on them which makes it harder for our other receivers to get open since it essentially adds a DB to the mix to cover the other receivers. If you want a RB out wide, put someone out there who is a threat: McKnight or LT, never these others.

4. Adjust the spacing on the OL Our OL has gotten too bunched in an attempt to help the line cover the speed rush. Problem is that it has taken away our running lanes, and led to a lot of collapsed pockets from bull rushes. Look at any other top offense and their OL spacing is much wider than ours

5. Throw crossing routes I think this one may be the one that gets me the most. The offense we play is based around mid-range pass plays and key to those are crossing routes. But we NEVER run crossing routes. Keller should be running these all day not just wheel routes. San Diego has the same offensive scheme and it seems like it is all they run. And they carve teams up with it, yet it is not part of our offense at all

6 Throw more SCREENS,outs, posts, skinny posts, and out an ups. Our receivers seem to run almost entirely lately short slants, curls and dig routes often in the same exact space. Sanchez is actually very good at out patterns and posts (against NE the one post we ran it seemed was a TD). This is his strength, but we do not go to it any where near enough. Schottenheimer avoids the screen like it is a disease or something. Yet with our struggling o-line it is one of the best and safest ways to slow down the rush and get positive yards, and we have McKnight and LT both of whom are dangerous in the screen game

7. Limit the short slant Not Sanchez' strength as he tends to throw them too hard and behind the receiver. Yet we throw them all the time. Since DBs have no fear of a double move, they squat on our receivers especially in 4 and 5 wide and make it really difficult to throw this pass. Sanchez is not good at all at second window slants either which makes this worse

8. Roll Sanchez out much more Especially to his right, Sanchez best strength is throwing on the run. Yet we don't roll out at all for a couple weeks, then do it 10 times in one game and defenses look for it. Do it often but not excessively so and we can get a lot of positive plays from this

9. Give Joe McKnight 5-10 touches a game Joe has to be most improved Jet this year and you could make an argument that he has been our MVP (for what it is worth) for the first 5 games. He has turned from an out of shape underachiever with entitlement issues, to a dynamic playmaker willing to whatever it takes for his team. His burst is exceptional. You have to find a way to get McKnight 5-10 touches a game in the open field. He has earned it.

10-maybe the biggest RUN THE K-GUN Sanchez is a completely different QB in the hurry up offense. Of all the things he does well, he does this the best. The Jets simply must incorporate the hurry up into all phases of the game from the first drive to the last. Honestly, if it were me I would run the K-gun exclusively as the Jets offense, outside of the 4 min offense or to protect a lead late in a game. Sanchez is a dynamic playmaker in the hurry up, makes better decisions and leads the Jets to scores. Why we do not leverage this as much as possible I do not know

There are certainly others, like remembering what the word "draw" means, but I think it we made these 10 slight realistic adjustments we could become a much more dynamic and effective offense right away.
    That is excellent and seeks to find solutions1 This board needs that very much. Instead of the usual Fire Schotty etc you said someyhing that really makes sense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    johnnysd for OC
    +1 I'll take the cleaning guy at this point. At least he'll be unpredictable.

Veteran

For the record, first and foremost...it definitely is dump Schitty. Nevertheless, I agree with many of your ideas. The one I wonder about is the hurry-up. Mark is better in the hurry-up. No arguing that. However, I think one has to ask why? Personally, I think it is a combo of two things. The more important being I believe Mark has to call his own plays at the line. Dumba$$ doesn't have the time to send in his plays. No useless personnel changes, shiftings, and motions. The second is that the defense certainly softens inside of 2 minutes at the end of the halves. I have doubts about the effectiveness of this strategy when Schotty has anything significant to do with it.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 10-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.

All League

HIGHLETED ONES I LIKE BEST AND AGREE..6,8,9, AND 10

i really like what you wrote up here. simple. but changes which can propel this offense. i honestly believe if schotty can change him gameplan, he will be a genius on the forums. all it takes is a few tweaks and there is no reason why this offense should not be unstoppable. i like you point on setting up the screens. most dynamic offenses have screen packages. EX. Saints and Sproles. We should be setting the same thing up with McKnight because personally greene cant catch.
    Last edited by MCreighton13; 10-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.

All League

This is a pretty good list.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    That is excellent and seeks to find solutions1 This board needs that very much. Instead of the usual Fire Schotty etc you said someyhing that really makes sense.
    Many people have offered these ideas in other threads, although perhaps not as organized. You have just chosen to ignore, rationalize, or totally spin it into whatever you want.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 10-12-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Veteran
    One more to add as others have mentioned. THROW THE DEEP BALL. Mark throws a damn good one and Schitty refuses to even try.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    One more to add as others have mentioned. THROW THE DEEP BALL. Mark throws a damn good one and Schitty refuses to even try.
    He inplied it on 3 of these but yeah. I would love to see the 1st play of the game be a deep slat. I'd add Mix up play calling and take more risks. We are already turning the ball over a lot might as well make it worth it. I think LT has like a 150 QB rating but we have never used it. The one thing I do miss of Mangi is the little gimmicks he used to open up the field.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post

Me likes these ideas better

Great post. Don't disagree with a single one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Thumbs up

Awesome post, especially numbers 3 and 9

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    johnnysd for OC
    +10000 you should apply for the job

even if the deep ball doesn't always work out, it will spread the defense...since we either run or throw 5-10 yard passes, the defense is packed in and we get nowhere...throwing the deep ball will force defenses to respect the deep threat

All League
    1. Fire Sh!TTY!!!
    2. Can Sh!ttty!!!
    3. Terminate Sh!TTY!!!
    4. Let Sh!TTY go!!!
    5. End the Sh!TTY madness
    6. Downsize Sh!TTy!!! Bad economy..
    7. Release ****ty!!!
    8. Lay ****ty off!!!
    9. Send ****ty on a permanent vacation!!!
    10. Whack da baastaad!!!

Anyone have any better ones, go for it..