Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The next three games will speak volumes about this franchise and its QB

All League

The next three games will speak volumes about this franchise and its QB

For 2011 and beyond.

The Jets have a chance to right the ship over the next four weeks. A clean sweep of the Chargers, Bills and Pats would immediately restore all of the positive vibes that we had coming into the season. It would also mean that the offense had finally come to life, as there's no chance of the defense completely shutting down all three of these opponents.

If the Jets win all three, it's not out of the realm of possibility to run 6 out of the final 7.
    If they win 2 out of 3, then we could realistically hope for 5 out of 7 and a possible playoff berth.
    But if the Jets only win one game or lose all three, not only is 2011 most likely finished, but it could represent a time to take a hard look at the players at the skill positions.

In my view, this is the time for our QB to get it done. We've been patiently waiting for that signature performance from Sanchez - the one game (or games) where we can say, "Jets won that game solely due to elite QB play." With the line stabilizing in pass protection over the past two weeks and some (minor) signs of life from the running game, what better time than now to see Sanchez put the team on his back for a few games?

I'm not advocating that the Jets abandon the run game to make this happen, and I know Sanchez has challenges operating under the Schotty gameplan, but I will be looking to see if he can deliver on those occasions where he has time to throw and has a receiver open. For all of the flack that Schotty catches (most of it deserved), the fact remains that Sanchez is leaving plays on the field, whether it be happy feet, staring down the wrong receiver, or flat-out inaccuracy. Those occurences should be minimal for a QB with over 40 starts in the league.

I know it's still early in the season, and I realize that the team may not give up on Sanchez even if the team loses all three of these games. But I feel like this stretch right here is the one that we'll point to down the road as either the time we saw Sanchez prove his merit, or the time we all began to realize that his ceiling was lower than we hoped it would be.

The three-game road stretch didn't turn out so well, but O-line woes had a lot to do with that. Does Sanchez get it done here?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    For 2011 and beyond.

The Jets have a chance to right the ship over the next four weeks. A clean sweep of the Chargers, Bills and Pats would immediately restore all of the positive vibes that we had coming into the season. It would also mean that the offense had finally come to life, as there's no chance of the defense completely shutting down all three of these opponents.

If the Jets win all three, it's not out of the realm of possibility to run 6 out of the final 7.
    If they win 2 out of 3, then we could realistically hope for 5 out of 7 and a possible playoff berth.
    But if the Jets only win one game or lose all three, not only is 2011 most likely finished, but it could represent a time to take a hard look at the players at the skill positions.

In my view, this is the time for our QB to get it done. We've been patiently waiting for that signature performance from Sanchez - the one game (or games) where we can say, "Jets won that game solely due to elite QB play." With the line stabilizing in pass protection over the past two weeks and some (minor) signs of life from the running game, what better time than now to see Sanchez put the team on his back for a few games?

I'm not advocating that the Jets abandon the run game to make this happen, and I know Sanchez has challenges operating under the Schotty gameplan, but I will be looking to see if he can deliver on those occasions where he has time to throw and has a receiver open. For all of the flack that Schotty catches (most of it deserved), the fact remains that Sanchez is leaving plays on the field, whether it be happy feet, staring down the wrong receiver, or flat-out inaccuracy. Those occurences should be minimal for a QB with over 40 starts in the league.

I know it's still early in the season, and I realize that the team may not give up on Sanchez even if the team loses all three of these games. But I feel like this stretch right here is the one that we'll point to down the road as either the time we saw Sanchez prove his merit, or the time we all began to realize that his ceiling was lower than we hoped it would be.

The three-game road stretch didn't turn out so well, but O-line woes had a lot to do with that. Does Sanchez get it done here?
    Good post.

Our season is on the brink, and we have three games ahead against very good offensive teams. Mark doesn't have to be Dan Marino, but he needs to play well enough to beat teams that are likely going to put up 20+ points against us during the next three games.

I think people expected the "third year leap" to happen magically from the opening kickoff of the season. Life is rarely so neat or scheduled. That said, his third year --and our season-- is now hanging in the balance.

Time for him to grow up.

Hall Of Fame
    Too bad our dumbass front office and coaching staff decided to handcuff the kid by revamping the receivers in the off season after he had had is own team building workouts that included Edwards and Cotchery.

The Miami game was one of the few games that the other teams receivers out bungled ours this year. Sanchez has to play better but we can't afford the two or three crucial drops a game we seem to get.

Banned
    For 2011 and beyond.

Good post, but to keep this in perspective, the next 3 weeks will tell a lot about this team for this year, not the franchise as a whole or our QB as a whole. This team could wind up having a down year, Sanchez could regress for a myriad of reasons, but that doesn't mean the team can't regroup and return to expected form for next year. There could be changes if such a scenario played out, but not wholesale changes that you are suggesting could or should happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Too bad our dumbass front office and coaching staff decided to handcuff the kid by revamping the receivers in the off season after he had had is own team building workouts that included Edwards and Cotchery.

The Miami game was one of the few games that the other teams receivers out bungled ours this year. Sanchez has to play better but we can't afford the two or three crucial drops a game we seem to get.
    This is a little harsh. The team's front office, Tannenbaum had 17 FA's to start the season, they had a lot of decisions to make with very little time.

The issues with Edwards have been well documented, the Cotchery issue was a disappointment, but it sure looks like he spited himself, either that, or maybe there truly is a health issue with Cotchery and that is the reason why the Jets let him go.

I was really hoping to bring back both Edwards and Holmes. Maybe if Edwards doesn't price himself out of the market, he'd still be a Jet, maybe there really was an issue that teh team wanted to be careful about.

Point is, not sure how we can blame the front office all things considered.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think the issue with Edwards has been well documented at all other than whispers and innuendo and guesses.

We're going to need to put up points to win any of these games. All 3 of these teams can run the ball very well this season even though we think of them as passing teams. Our run D is terrible right now. Not to mention these teams will be a a big challenge to our pass defense.

I don't know that they are any sort of referendum on Sanchez's career though. I'd like to see him step up and put the team on his back too, but if he doesn't I don't really see it having a huge impact on his career

All League
    Good Post...

I agree - it's time for him to step up and play like someone that can someday be the franchise QB this team has hyped him up to be.

I honestly don't think he's capable, but hope I'm wrong.

My sense is he has all the talent in the world but if he's still staring down his first receiver and unable to make quick, accurate decisions by now he's never going to be.

All of the QB's in this league have immense natural talent - and Sanchez certainly does have the physical tools to be a franchise level QB. The key is being able to make those quick decision, under pressure and find the open receiver.

He has not shown the ability to do that (and has rarely flashed it) By now he should be showing signs.

All Pro
    For 2011 and beyond.

I don't know about winning the next 3 games - cause there's a lot of particulars and "things" that can happen, but I agree with your 100% about this next stretch being very indicative of what kind QB Sanchez is, and what kind of fight this franchise has.

Sanchez has got to start playing better. A franchise QB elevates those around him. I want to see his play determine the team's performance, not the other way around.

All Pro
    Sanchez is a little shellshocked right now & trying to get his equalibrium straightened out.
    Oakland game was the tipping point when Mangold went out.
    1st quarter too.
    That was the game the Jets needed to win on that 3 game road trip!

Did anyone feel confident heading to Baltimore with a FA center playing his 4th quarter of proball?
    Jets had a chance to take down the big bad Pats @ 17-14 after the defense got the ball to the offense TWICE in the 3rd quarter.
    Even got within 6 but the D ran out of steam & the young guys didn't come through.

Jets are getting way more criticism than they deserve nationally.

Would have liked to see the Bills, Chargers (loss to Pats), even Raiders records playing the likes of Ravens & Pats on the road.
    See what I mean when u look at things through some perspective.
    Shottenheimer still sucks though (Belongs in college division II).
    Last edited by jetster; 10-20-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Good post, Greenwave.

I would still like to see Nacho in a more traditional west-coast offense, I really think his skill-set is taylor-made for that style of play. I can appreciate that it's time for him to step up and take charge, but I'd hate to see the org. give up on him until I see him play in an offense without the complicated BS, pre-snap motion crap that fools nobody, with blocking 6th linemen split out wide.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Sanchez has got to start playing better. A franchise QB elevates those around him. I want to see his play determine the team's performance, not the other way around.
    This is really what I want, even more so than winning all three games. Sure, Plax is lazy, Keller is inconsistent, Kerley is young, I get that. But Peyton Manning turned Jacob Tamme into a legitimate threat at TE. We've had to watch scrubs like David Patten and David Givens score TDs in playoff games because they had Brady throwing to them. Who was Rivers throwing to other than Gates before VJax emerged?

Is it unfair to compare Sanchez to the game's elite? Maybe. But I'd like to believe that Sanchez's ceiling is higher than Eli Manning's or someone at that level. Could be that I'm being impatient, but the Jets have waited a long time for the next franchise QB and here's a stretch of games for Sanchez to show us that he can be more than a game manager.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    but I'd hate to see the org. give up on him until I see him play in an offense without the complicated BS, pre-snap motion crap that fools nobody, with blocking 6th linemen split out wide.
    Took me a while, but I finally agree with this also...if he craps the bed over the next few weeks, that should seal Schotty's fate and give Sanchez one more shot with a different offensive approach.

first off, it's one game at a time.

while this is a make or break stretch it can't be overemphacised how bad schitty is as an offensive coach. it really all falls on him and we have seen this story before. schitty can't coach and he can't cal plays and he certainly doesn't know how to put his players in the right position for them to succeed.

i can only hope rex handcuffs schitty at the break and gives the oc duties to someone else. let him stay on the team and stuff envelopes for all i care and hopefully he'll just disappear at the end of the season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post

while this is a make or break stretch it can't be overemphacised how bad schitty is as an offensive coach. it really all falls on him and we have seen this story before. schitty can't coach and he can't cal plays and he certainly doesn't know how to put his players in the right position for them to succeed.

i can only hope rex handcuffs schitty at the break and gives the oc duties to someone else. let him stay on the team and stuff envelopes for all i care and hopefully he'll just disappear at the end of the season.
    hate the name but agree with this

All League
    Took me a while, but I finally agree with this also...if he craps the bed over the next few weeks, that should seal Schotty's fate and give Sanchez one more shot with a different offensive approach.
    after watching the first six weeks I honestly don't feel Sanchez has what it takes but I do think he should get this entire year to see how he develops.

But we should NOT give him a big contract, if he could get a franchise QB contract somewhere else the Jets should let him go.

If they want to keep him going forward, at best he's a game manager and should be paid accordingly.

All Pro
    Pressure is on!!! Thats when the Jets play the best.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post

The only problem with putting it all on the OC is that the OC doesn't have anything to do with what happens between the release of the ball and where it ends up. If Sanchez was on target with all of his throws, but the receivers were running patterns that kept them from picking up first downs, that would be one thing.

But the OC doesn't prevent the QB from identifying blitzers. He doesn't prevent the QB from seeing an open target. He doesn't give the QB happy feet. He doesn't make the QB double-clutch the ball on every other pass attempt. He doesn't force the QB to over or underthrow his target.

These are the faults we're seeing from Sanchez on a regular basis. If you want to argue that's ALL on coaching, we'll have to disagree. But if that's the case, we should have traded up from #17 to #5 to select the best OC in college, if playing QB is nothing more than a result of your coaching.

I agree that Schotty's time should be coming to a close as he's pretty much run his course here, but I'm also fearful that we'll see similar results even if the playcalling improves. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about that, and that's why my focus over the next few games will be on how Sanchez plays when the right (or at least a decent) play is dialed up.

Banned
    Strong original post, but it's all about the Chargers first and foremost. Lose to the Chargers and drop to 3-4 overall, with all 4 loses being amongst AFC teams. Wouldn't look good in regards to the playoff picture. As a fan, nothing is worse than a heartbreaking loss heading into a bye week. That'll make for a very long two weeks, with nothing positive to build upon.

Now, with a victory against the Chargers come Sunday, the Jets would then improve to 4-3 overall, 4-0 at home, along with plenty of momentum coming out of the bye, while heading into Buffalo. Where we could then improve to 5-3 heading into our rematch with the Patriots.

I'm not sure if we can consider our matchup with SD as being a must win, but for our fan base, I believe it is. Jacksonville at Houston, Arizona at Baltimore, Indianapolis at Tennessee, Washington at Buffalo, San Diego at Kansas City and New England at Pittsburgh. I'd like to enjoy these week 8 games during our bye week. A loss on Sunday would make for our enjoyment factor becoming nonexistent.

Hopefully we perform spectacular against SD, but I'll take an ugly victory by the score of 17-14 heading into our bye week. A win is a win, and come postseason play, it doesn't matter how you performed during week 7. It'll be nice to see everything click against the Chargers, but as a fan, I've always approached games with the mentality of being ready for an NFL war.

A win against the Chargers will speak volumes of our team, it'll let us know we're serious contenders for the 3rd consecutive season.

All League
    after 40 years of following the Jets, here's my approach: win the next game.

scenario counting keeps me awake at night.