Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: Steve Young Says Big-Mouth Rex Is Locker Room Poison...

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,604

    Steve Young Says Big-Mouth Rex Is Locker Room Poison...

    Today on ESPN Radio. Steve Young was asked about Rex's "It's All About Me" style and if it breeds success...
    He feels that any long term success by a football team is always based on good locker room chemistry...
    He says that Rex being Rex overpowers the locker room, and never allows the chemistry to happen...
    He says "in S.F., it was never about Walsh in the locker room..."
    He thinks it is a big problem going forward...

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,028
    I think this whole "locker room chemistry thing" is crap.It's all about talent.Young's Niners teams had unreal talent

    And now the NFL has become about the QB you need an elite or very good qb to win in the NFL

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Blah, blah, blah. Rex does it so the players have all the attention taken off of them. It's worked so far. Young really has no idea what he's talking about. All the players rave about their coach. Doesn't sound like a cancer to me.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,284
    Is there any evidence chemistry is an issue on this team? It certainly wasn't the past few years. What is Steve Young talking about then?

    Rex's antics are as much about taking pressure and scrutiny off of his team (and in particular off of his QB) as anything else. Most people have figured that out already.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Yeah right, it was really poisonous when we went to the AFCCG in the last two seasons. Funny how Steve Young being as smart as he is didn't come out with that before the season or in the last three years for that matter. It is always easy to pile on somebody when he's down...

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,960
    "Thomas Jones was a locker room leader. 2010 Jets lack veteran presence in the locker room, and that matters."

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,686
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Today on ESPN Radio. Steve Young was asked about Rex's "It's All About Me" style and if it breeds success...
    He feels that any long term success by a football team is always based on good locker room chemistry...
    He says that Rex being Rex overpowers the locker room, and never allows the chemistry to happen...
    He says "in S.F., it was never about Walsh in the locker room..."
    He thinks it is a big problem going forward...
    I dont think that Steve knows that Rex's style is just a facade for the public and media. I thought he would be smarter than this.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    "Thomas Jones was a locker room leader. 2010 Jets lack veteran presence in the locker room, and that matters."
    Didn't seem to affect us in 2010.

  9. #9
    When you talk like Rex does you leave yourself open to shots. And when yourr team gets blown out like we did, the media guys are going to take them. That's just how it goes

  10. #10
    Steve, as I'm sure even Bill Walsh would have acknowledged, "there is more than one way to skin a cat."

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Steve, as I'm sure even Bill Walsh would have acknowledged, "there is more than one way to skin a cat."
    and it eat too? REX needs to coach more and talk a little less.

    After 3 years of Rex and Tanny together, our personnel is weaker than it has ever been arguably.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    I am sure Steve Young has never been in Rex's locker room and had no idea what he is talking about.

    And talking doesn't lose games, and more times than not, Rex's talk provides cover for his players.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    Rex Ryan, short of Joe Namath, is the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    and it eat too? REX needs to coach more and talk a little less.

    After 3 years of Rex and Tanny together, our personnel is weaker than it has ever been arguably.
    Rex and tanny have done nothing to improve this team with the poor picks and trades, while other teams have picked studs that have produced great returns. Where Rex and tanny couldn't pick their own nose.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    5,087
    f anyone outside this locker room who thinks they know what's up. Even namath can go ead.

    if rex is that poisonous, then tomlin is just as much. Because last I heard, those are the 2 coaches players would love to play for.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Rex Ryan, short of Joe Namath, is the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.
    If you believe it's about the media and cool comments, yup.
    If you think it's about building a super bowl team.\, then you are mistaken. Rex and tanny have made this team a shell of it's former self.
    If you like teams that still can't beat teams with winning records with any consistency, then yup.

    8-8 this year, and when they don't make any changes next season, 6-10.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,495
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    I think this whole "locker room chemistry thing" is crap.It's all about talent.Young's Niners teams had unreal talent

    And now the NFL has become about the QB you need an elite or very good qb to win in the NFL
    maybe walsh didn't need to be so brash b/c he knew how good his team was and didnt' need any psychological ploys. he just lined his team up on the field and crushed everyone.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    If you believe it's about the media and cool comments, yup.
    If you think it's about building a super bowl team.\, then you are mistaken. Rex and tanny have made this team a shell of it's former self.
    If you like teams that still can't beat teams with winning records with any consistency, then yup.

    8-8 this year, and when they don't make any changes next season, 6-10.
    Rex and Tanny brought in many of the players who helped get to the last two AFC Championships. Feel free to ignore that.

    This year the whole organization made big mistakes in evaluating the talent on this team and needs to fix it. But your viewpoint ignores a ridiculous amount of talent that exists on this team.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,867
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    When you talk like Rex does you leave yourself open to shots. And when yourr team gets blown out like we did, the media guys are going to take them. That's just how it goes
    Amen. He is already spouting off that we are better then the giants. If we lose to them all heck is going to fall on him from irate fans.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Amen. He is already spouting off that we are better then the giants. If we lose to them all heck is going to fall on him from irate fans.
    If we lose to the Giants, who cares what was said before hand?

    Will it feel any better if he gives them the 'Mumbles' treatment and talk about how great they are?

    No.

    Rave on Rex.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us