Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow Touchdown Illegal?

All League

Tim Tebow Touchdown Illegal?

When the Broncos lined up on offense to start the overtime session against the Steelers this past weekend, Denver's offensive coordinator dialed up a play action pass that totally fooled the Pittsburgh defense. Pittsburgh's defenders were arrayed in an "Inverted Cover 2" formation and the safeties bit hard on the play fake. Tim Tebow took the snap in a shotgun formation, faked a hand off and then whistled a pass to Demaryius Thomas, who was running a post pattern. Thomas stiff-armed cornerback Ike Taylor and then exploded up the far sideline for the score.

The game-winning play was devastatingly effective. But was it legal?

As the eagle-eyed Daniel Willis of the Bay Area News Group noted, the Broncos appeared to have just six men lined up on the line of scrimmage when the play was snapped instead of the seven required by NFL rules. At the left edge of the offensive line, a Broncos player was lined up a step behind the teammates to his right and therefore not toeing the line of scrimmage.

According to the NFL Rule 7, Section 5, Article 1 which governs the position of offensive players at the snap"

All Pro
    ...in other news, it's going to be loooooooonnnng off season

Veteran
    Mehw. So what. If he was a few inches closer to the los, would Ike Taylor then made the play? I think not.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I believe Denver would have won anyway, but what do you think?

Veteran
    Divine intervention

Waterboy
    If anything, he looks like he is trying to set up for pass protection which guys cheat back to do sometimes. So he may actually have inadvertently tipped off "pass" which would be advantagous to Pittsburgh. I see guys lined up in the neutral zone ALL the time without it being caught and I wonder because it is one refs' job to check that pre snap. I think a great deal of plays in a football game have something illegal happen that does not get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I believe Denver would have won anyway, but what do you think?
    I think you've been reading Chris Chase from Yahoo Sports, who's mastered the art of pageview generation, by the millions, without ever writing a worthwhile story.

"That play was illegal" ... typical.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I think you've been reading Chris Chase from Yahoo Sports, who's mastered the art of pageview generation, by the millions, without ever writing a worthwhile story.

"That play was illegal" ... typical.
    I googled the play, and that was the pre-formation set. I asked what people think, but you clearly don't have an opinion other than some writer is stupid.

Did I start the thread?

So smart, posters on JI. So smart.

Still no answer.

All League
    offensive tackles do this all the time to make it easier to pass protect. rarely are all 7 guys "right on" the line

if we are going to point this one out then there's many of the same type to point out

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I googled the play, and that was the pre-formation set. I asked what people think, but you clearly don't have an opinion other than some writer is stupid.

Did I start the thread?

So smart, posters on JI. So smart.

Still no answer.
    Defensive players line up in the neutral zone all the time. "Illegal" contact is made downfield all the time, often missed.

Do we now go back and review these these plays as being illegal now? Especially when they had zero bearing on the play itself?

This is what passes as sports journalism or post-game insight?

Again, I restate this was put out by Chris Chase on Yahoo Sports (typical linkbait) and DrudgeReport ran with it. Millions of pageviews. Zero football ground covered.

After seeing it elsewhere I presumed I wouldn't see it again on JI, because of it's lo-calorie football content.

All League

former NFL Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira disagrees

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...IwlWiCUQJDubYF

The formation eventually caught the eye of current Fox analyst and former NFL Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira. He dismissed any suggestion that the play should have been whistled dead. "Watch on any Sunday," he tweeted. "This is a good formation compared to many. They are not technical with this."

In other words, the "seven men on the line" is a rule on the books but one that doesn't require a tape measure and straight edge to determine if every player is precisely on the line of scrimmage. If seven guys are close to line and set, Pereira implies, then the formation is fine. The seven Broncos were close to the line and set, so there was nothing to call.

This seems to go against all other NFL rule enforcements, which always say that the letter of the law is far more important than the spirit of it. Still, when Pereira speaks, it's wise to listen.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...IwlWiCUQJDubYF

The formation eventually caught the eye of current Fox analyst and former NFL Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira. He dismissed any suggestion that the play should have been whistled dead. "Watch on any Sunday," he tweeted. "This is a good formation compared to many. They are not technical with this."

In other words, the "seven men on the line" is a rule on the books but one that doesn't require a tape measure and straight edge to determine if every player is precisely on the line of scrimmage. If seven guys are close to line and set, Pereira implies, then the formation is fine. The seven Broncos were close to the line and set, so there was nothing to call.

This seems to go against all other NFL rule enforcements, which always say that the letter of the law is far more important than the spirit of it. Still, when Pereira speaks, it's wise to listen.
    I bet if the JETS did this, it would've been ruled illegal.

Looks fine to me. This thread is a major reach. The position of the TE had nothing to do with the outcome of the play.

Dumb thread bro

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Looks fine to me. This thread is a major reach. The position of the TE had nothing to do with the outcome of the play.
    I agree. It's why I posted the picture.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I bet if the JETS did this, it would've been ruled illegal.
    The Jets would have been flagged continuously last weekend for having zero men at the line of scrimmage.

All League
    mulligan says formation looks good to him.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    mulligan says formation looks good to him.
    Mulligan would have lined up at the 21 yard line...

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    When the Broncos lined up on offense to start the overtime session against the Steelers this past weekend, Denver's offensive coordinator dialed up a play action pass that totally fooled the Pittsburgh defense. Pittsburgh's defenders were arrayed in an "Inverted Cover 2" formation and the safeties bit hard on the play fake. Tim Tebow took the snap in a shotgun formation, faked a hand off and then whistled a pass to Demaryius Thomas, who was running a post pattern. Thomas stiff-armed cornerback Ike Taylor and then exploded up the far sideline for the score.

The game-winning play was devastatingly effective. But was it legal?

As the eagle-eyed Daniel Willis of the Bay Area News Group noted, the Broncos appeared to have just six men lined up on the line of scrimmage when the play was snapped instead of the seven required by NFL rules. At the left edge of the offensive line, a Broncos player was lined up a step behind the teammates to his right and therefore not toeing the line of scrimmage.

According to the NFL Rule 7, Section 5, Article 1 which governs the position of offensive players at the snap"
    technically that is correct...but realistically it made no difference on the play.

put it this way if the flag was thrown (which is seems it should have been) there would of been an uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    Mulligan would have lined up at the 21 yard line...
    and in addition to that would have false started.

All League
    technically, to be considered "off the line" you have to be back over half the length of the player (in their stance) next to you. In other words, if your in your stance and your supposed to be off the line, your front hand should be lining up around the player next to you's rear end but not up around their chest...

That would be pretty ticky tacky during overtime though.