Thread: Jets needed discipline

All Pro

Jets needed discipline

Namath was hated by the team early in their Superbowl year.
    He was a primadonna who had his own set of rules & was throwing so many bad interceptions that Gerry Philbin wanted to kill him.

Sound familiar?

I'm not saying that Sanchez will ever come close to Namath, what I'm saying is that teams go through tough times, large egos, & under the redhot spotlight that is NY it can get really tough.

Namath knows from experience, but what bothers me is his criticism of the Sparano hire.
    The Jets are going after people that are "well respected", Sparano, & maybe a guy that takes absolutely no crap, Haley.
    Wasn't Namath complaining about the lack of discipline?

Other fans have already said it, the Jets offense needs to start over with the absolute BASICS!
    Pass protection schemes that WORK. Start there. That's what Sparano will bring. They need to totally revamp the passing game within that framework. That's what Haley would bring if we indeed sign him.
    Both of these guys have worked together, that means they will be in sync with one another.
    I've always said that Shoddys offense was like an old 12 cylinder Jag, constantly sputtering & occasionally running right.
    Rex now will be able to do what he does best, COACH, without looking over his shoulder to make sure he doesn't offend anyone.
    Personally, I want my coaches to be able to be hardasses when they have to.

Hall Of Fame
    Jets needed discipline
    You mean like Kate-Upton-in-a-dominatrix-outfit discipline?

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Excellent post. I'm looking forward to watching the team's new Generals & Majors help mold winners.

It seems to me Rex is the kind of coach that hates being "the bad guy." I don't think he minds being the stern, matter of factly & leading by example kind of coach, but take away his "fun factor" with his players & IMO that takes away the very personality trait that makes him so special.

Let the new Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano bring in his own guys.

Let the new Special Teams Coordinator ____________ bring in his own guys.

I'm not sure about the current defensive coordinator, but if it's true that Jeff Weeks is being let go, there may be a complete overhaul with all the D coaches as well.

Let those Generals bring in all their own Majors & IMO there will be enough new "bad guys" to take the heat off Rex & let him do what he does best.

Coach Superbowl Winners.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Excellent post. I'm looking forward to watching the team's new Generals & Majors help mold winners.

It seems to me Rex is the kind of coach that hates being "the bad guy." I don't think he minds being the stern, matter of factly & leading by example kind of coach, but take away his "fun factor" with his players & IMO that takes away the very personality trait that makes him so special.

Let the new Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano bring in his own guys.

Let the new Special Teams Coordinator ____________ bring in his own guys.

I'm not sure about the current defensive coordinator, but if it's true that Jeff Weeks is being let go, there may be a complete overhaul with all the D coaches as well.

Let those Generals bring in all their own Majors & IMO there will be enough new "bad guys" to take the heat off Rex & let him do what he does best.

Coach Superbowl Winners.

Did I miss something with Westoff?

Veteran
    They need someone or something to be afraid of.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Did I miss something with Westoff?

I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mike Westhoff said he was retiring from the NFL & wouldn't be back for season 2012. I personally love Westy, the man has lived & breathed football for the past thirty eight years & made the NY Jets specials teams players, well, special.
    Last edited by Limolady; 01-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.

All League
    I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mike Westhoff said he was retiring from the NFL & wouldn't be back for season 2012. I personally love Westy, the man has lived & breathed football for the past thirty eight
    years & made the NY Jets specials teams players, well, special.
    He said he will return, thank goodness

All League
    I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mike Westhoff said he was retiring from the NFL & wouldn't be back for season 2012. I personally love Westy, the man has lived & breathed football for the past thirty eight
    years & made the NY Jets specials teams players, well, special.
    Ok, I think 2012 may be the last year, but you know, these guys retire kicking and screaming....

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    He said he will return, thank goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Ok, I think 2012 may be the last year, but you know, these guys retire kicking and screaming....

<Correction> Ok so let Westhoff & his guys continue to work with special teams and let them be "the bad guys" when it comes to player discipline.

Rex publicly asked Joe to come to and pariticipate in meetings, that would have been a good time for Joe to give his power point presentation.