Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disagree if you want, but what a dumb move by Jim Harbaugh

Veteran

Disagree if you want, but what a dumb move by Jim Harbaugh

I am not sure what Harbaugh was thinking on their 2nd to last offensive drive, or maybe he was not thinking at all, but it was downright just ridiculously dumb for him not to tell Alex Smith if he breaks it on the QB keep to go down at the 1 instead of going into the endzone. You will always have your fair share or fans,including ones on this board who will inexplicably say you always take the score if you have it regardless of any circumstances, but his offense on the last drive bailed him out from looking like a complete idiot and ending his team's season.

Consider this, which has the much higher likelihood of happening?

A. If Alex Smith goes down at the 1, the clock goes down to the 2 minute warning and they can run 3 plays for which the Saints have 1 timeout (doesn't change anything if the Saints call the timeout before the 2 minute warning). 49ers essentially can kick an extra point with 25 seconds left. All the 49ers need to do is to prevent a Saints field goal with the saints having 25 seconds and no timeouts on their last drive. In case you were wondering, kickers miss an extra point maybe once out of every 300 tries.

B. Have Alex Smith score the TD and go for 2. Need to stop the Saints from scoring a TD on their last drive to win or tie the game (depending on success of 2 point conversion by 49ers) with 2:10 left and 1 timeout. If the saints score a TD, then have another drive for the win.

Some fans on this board, including myself were upset, and rightfully so, last season in similar circumstances with the Jets, Lowery returning the INT on favre for a td instead of going down, and Greene scoring a TD against the Pats in the playoffs instead of going down. The chances of the Jets scoring anyway and still winning the games, were astronomically higher than the 49ers scoring the TD instead of going down today and still winning the game.

I am surprised that a lot of coaches just miss this in games. At least Jones-Drew knew what to do a few years ago against us at the end of the game. I think an Eagles RB also went down at the 1 to preserve a win a couple of years ago.

Even more stunning, was not once announcer in the game ever thought to mention this. Only simms mentioned it during the halftime break of the Pats Broncos game.

All League
    Sorry, Alex Smith should run that in ten times out of ten. Don't get cute. They won regardless.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Sorry, Alex Smith should run that in ten times out of ten. Don't get cute. They won regardless.
    Co-Sign.

When you get a chance to bring the Hammer down on a team, YOU DO IT, PERIOD.

Besides, what would happen if they did what jetglass stated and the Saints drove the length of the Field and scored a TD with just about no time remaining?

Can you imagine the outcry from many Niner fans(and us)?

Veteran
    How is that cute? Easily could have been the difference between going to the NFCG and ending your season. Are you one of those fans that says you should score regardless on any game circumstances?

Would you rather essentially win a playoff game (going down at the 1) or leave the other team a chance with significant time left on their final drive (scoring a TD).

Rookie
    I agree with the general principle of sometimes giving up a score to win, but this situation is a little murky. 25 seconds to kick a field goal with that offense is a reasonable amount of time. I'd certainly understand if I'd rather trust my defense to prevent a TD rather than a FG with 1 minute less. Not really disagreeing but just not sure.

The Shonn Greene TD we scored last year was really bad. I agree that this one is probably bad but it's at least debatable. In any case, I doubt Harbaugh thought he was going to break the run. He was probably trying to get it on the left hash for Akers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    How is that cute? Easily could have been the difference between going to the NFCG and ending your season. Are you one of those fans that says you should score regardless on any game circumstances?

Would you rather essentially win a playoff game (going down at the 1) or leave the other team a chance with significant time left on their final drive (scoring a TD).
    When you have the opportunity to take seven points and the lead like that in a Divisional NFL Playoff game, YOU TAKE IT. Anything can happen. We saw Philip Rivers botch a snap on Monday Night in KC earlier this season in what should have been a sure Chargers win. What if there was a botched snap, or a goal line stand by the Saints? Then what? Wacky **** can and does happen in this league. Don't get cute. Score.

On a side note, I see your perspective, and it is fair. I just happen to disagree.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Co-Sign.

When you get a chance to bring the Hammer down on a team, YOU DO IT, PERIOD.

Besides, what would happen if they did what jetglass stated and the Saints drove the length of the Field and scored a TD with just about no time remaining?

Can you imagine the outcry from many Niner fans(and us)?
    Really, with 25 seconds remaining? A lot different defensive style when you know they only have 25 seconds remaining to score instead of 2:10.

As far as the quote by Vin that is just plain idiotic. Hes saying regardless of situation, which is just as dumb as it gets.

Then according to him, if a team is up 1 with 2 minutes left and the other team has no timeouts and the team up has 1st and goal from the one, he is saying they should go in for the score. Even my grandmother who hasnt watched a football game in her life would tell you how idiotic that would be.
    Last edited by jetglass; 01-14-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Veteran
    When you have the opportunity to take seven points and the lead like that in a Divisional NFL Playoff game, YOU TAKE IT. Anything can happen. We saw Philip Rivers botch a snap on Monday Night in KC earlier this season in what should have been a sure Chargers win. What if there was a botched snap, or a goal line stand by the Saints? Then what? Wacky **** can and does happen in this league. Don't get cute. Score.

On a side note, I see your perspective, and it is fair. I just happen to disagree.
    Yea, exactly what I am saying, anything can happen. Including something like a top 3 offense with a top 3 QB driving the length of the field with 2:10 remaining and 1 timeout. Everyone would agree that the chances of that happening are significantly higher than botching an extra point. Very different than the situation you mentioned with Rivers who were actually calling running plays. A lot different than a QB kneel. Plus I feel comfortable in saying that I doubt any team in the history of the league has ever lost a fumble on QB kneel.

I agree with the principle - in that situation you should absolutely go down at the 5 and kick the FG with like 20 seconds left. BUT you forget a key thing, they hiked that ball from like the 30, nobody thought it would break for a TD. Once Smith started running, instinct probably took over. Hard to blame him too much, I doubt that was on his or Harbaugh's mind when they ran that play from the 30

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I agree with the principle - in that situation you should absolutely go down at the 5 and kick the FG with like 20 seconds left. BUT you forget a key thing, they hiked that ball from like the 30, nobody thought it would break for a TD. Once Smith started running, instinct probably took over. Hard to blame him too much, I doubt that was on his or Harbaugh's mind when they ran that play from the 30
    Also, this.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post
    I agree with the general principle of sometimes giving up a score to win, but this situation is a little murky. 25 seconds to kick a field goal with that offense is a reasonable amount of time. I'd certainly understand if I'd rather trust my defense to prevent a TD rather than a FG with 1 minute less. Not really disagreeing but just not sure.

The Shonn Greene TD we scored last year was really bad. I agree that this one is probably bad but it's at least debatable. In any case, I doubt Harbaugh thought he was going to break the run. He was probably trying to get it on the left hash for Akers.
    Fair enough. I know the Greene TD as I stated was a lot more obvious, but even in that situation you actually had people on this board who agreed that he should have gone in for the TD, even after Rex Ryan admitted after the game it was a really stupid mistake.

Hall Of Fame
    It would be monumentally stupid not to go up by enough that the other team has to score a td. It is monumantally stupid to not score when you have the chance and ASSUME you will hot turn the ball over or miss the kick or have it blocked.

It Smith goes down at the one and the 49ers do not score then it is the worst coaching/player blunder since Joe Pisarcik and Herm Edwards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Some fans on this board, including myself were upset, and rightfully so, last season in similar circumstances with the Jets, Lowery returning the INT on favre for a td instead of going down, and Greene scoring a TD against the Pats in the playoffs instead of going down.

I am surprised that a lot of coaches just miss this in games. At least Jones-Drew knew what to do a few years ago against us at the end of the game. I think an Eagles RB also went down at the 1 to preserve a win a couple of years ago.

Even more stunning, was not once announcer in the game ever thought to mention this. Only simms mentioned it during the halftime break of the Pats Broncos game.
    There's a huge difference here - the 49ers NEEDED a score to win that game. They were behind when this play happened. In your examples about, the teams were already ahead, and the additional score would just give the other team another opportunity with the ball.

What if Smith goes down at the 1, they run down the clock on kneel downs, and then the FG gets blocked? Harbaugh looks pretty f'n stupid, that's what. Smith had the opportunity to put the 49ers up by more than FG and he went for it. No problems there.

Hall Of Fame
    Really, with 25 seconds remaining? A lot different defensive style when you know they only have 25 seconds remaining to score instead of 2:10.

As far as the quote by Vin that is just plain idiotic. Hes saying regardless of situation, which is just as dumb as it gets.

Then according to him, if a team is up 1 with 2 minutes left and the other team has no timeouts and the team up has 1st and goal from the one, he is saying they should go in for the score. Even my grandmother who hasnt watched a football game in her life would tell you how idiotic that would be.
    Why the fuk are you responding to me as if I was somebody else?

"As far as the quote by Vin"? I'M RIGHT HERE!!!

Hall Of Fame
    I am not sure what Harbaugh was thinking on their 2nd to last offensive drive, or maybe he was not thinking at all, but it was downright just ridiculously dumb for him not to tell Alex Smith if he breaks it on the QB keep to go down at the 1 instead of going into the endzone. You will always have your fair share or fans,including ones on this board who will inexplicably say you always take the score if you have it regardless of any circumstances, but his offense on the last drive bailed him out from looking like a complete idiot and ending his team's season.

A. If Alex Smith goes down at the 1, the clock goes down to the 2 minute warning and they can run 3 plays for which the Saints have 1 timeout (doesn't change anything if the Saints call the timeout before the 2 minute warning). 49ers essentially can kick an extra point with 25 seconds left. All the 49ers need to do is to prevent a Saints field goal with the saints having 25 seconds and no timeouts on their last drive. In case you were wondering, kickers miss an extra point maybe once out of every 300 tries.

B. Have Alex Smith score the TD and go for 2. Need to stop the Saints from scoring a TD on their last drive to win or tie the game (depending on success of 2 point conversion by 49ers) with 2:10 left and 1 timeout. If the saints score a TD, then have another drive for the win.

Some fans on this board, including myself were upset, and rightfully so, last season in similar circumstances with the Jets, Lowery returning the INT on favre for a td instead of going down, and Greene scoring a TD against the Pats in the playoffs instead of going down. The chances of the Jets scoring anyway and still winning the games, were astronomically higher than the 49ers scoring the TD instead of going down today and still winning the game.

Who in the hell in their right mind thought Alex Smith would have a shot to score on a quarterback run from 28 yards out? I understand what you're saying, but at the same time it's not like they were deep in the redzone to where they could somewhat reasonably expect a TD. If it was madden and I broke that play, I'd definitely wanna go down before scoring and start running the clock, but obviously in the heat of the moment, you're the quarterback and break free on some crazy play, probably the last thing you're thinking about is going down...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Who in the hell in their right mind thought Alex Smith would have a shot to score on a quarterback run from 28 yards out? I understand what you're saying, but at the same time it's not like they were deep in the redzone to where they could somewhat reasonably expect a TD. If it was madden and I broke that play, I'd definitely wanna go down before scoring and start running the clock, but obviously in the heat of the moment, you're the quarterback and break free on some crazy play, probably the last thing you're thinking about is going down...
    jetglass thinks this is a videogame or something....

You NEVER take things for granted by attempting to run down the clock and then try to score.....What if they don't? or worse....WHAT IF THEY ATTEMPT A FG INSTEAD AND THE FG IS BLOCKED?????

What then, oh brilliant one?

The problem with this play/situation, from where the play started, I don't think it ever crossed Alex Smith's mind that he was gonna go in for 6 when he received the play call, and with that lane opening for him down the sideline there is no way that crosses your mind in the 2-4 seconds it took him to scamper in.

Practice Squad
    Absolutely agree with post that says if you are losing you score and take the lead, you don't get too cute about it, especially with 2 minutes to go. When you already have the lead, you may not want to score and give the ball back to the other team, but that is an entirely different situation. Harbaugh coached a great game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupz27 View Post
    The problem with this play/situation, from where the play started, I don't think it ever crossed Alex Smith's mind that he was gonna go in for 6 when he received the play call, and with that lane opening for him down the sideline there is no way that crosses your mind in the 2-4 seconds it took him to scamper in.
    THIS

There is no way they call the QB keeper thinking, "yeah, he'll get in the end zone, so take a dive."

The play looks like something to burn some clock, get them closer, and not chance a muffed handoff.

Running it in is just a heat of the moment thing.

If you want to talk about dumb plays, why did Sproles then try to run the ball out of the endzone with less than 2 minutes left and not even get to the 20. He has to take a knee there.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    THIS

There is no way they call the QB keeper thinking, "yeah, he'll get in the end zone, so take a dive."

The play looks like something to burn some clock, get them closer, and not chance a muffed handoff.

Running it in is just a heat of the moment thing.

If you want to talk about dumb plays, why did Sproles then try to run the ball out of the endzone with less than 2 minutes left and not even get to the 20. He has to take a knee there.

Quick question Piney, how do you know when someone quotes one of your posts, I'm new here, figure there is a better way then reading through the thread to see if someone replied to one of your posts.