Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eli and Mark's 3rd year.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Eli and Mark's 3rd year.

In his third season, in 2006, Manning was 25 years old; the Giants finished 8-8; he was 301 for 522 for 3,244 yards and a 57.7 completion percentage; he had 24 touchdown passes with 18 interceptions; his passer rating was 77.0; he was sacked 25 times; and his yards per pass attempt was 6.2.

In his third season through 15 games, Sanchez is 25 years old; the Jets are 8-7; he is 287 for 511 for 3,267 yards and a 56.2 completion percentage; he has 24 touchdown passes with 15 interceptions; he has a 79.0 passer rating; he has been sacked 37 times (ouch); his yards per pass attempt is 6.4.

Both had 18 interceptions. Just saying..don't count Sanchez out yet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This is a refreshing topic.

Banned
    They're still not the same quarterback. Something was wrong with Sanchez this year, whether it was confidence, injury, whatever it was.

Eli was still the better quarterback then, now and future.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    They're still not the same quarterback. Something was wrong with Sanchez this year, whether it was confidence, injury, whatever it was.

LOL they had almost exactly the same stats but Eli was a better QB back then, yeah that makes a lot of sense

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    In his third season, in 2006, Manning was 25 years old; the Giants finished 8-8; he was 301 for 522 for 3,244 yards and a 57.7 completion percentage; he had 24 touchdown passes with 18 interceptions; his passer rating was 77.0; he was sacked 25 times; and his yards per pass attempt was 6.2.

In his third season through 15 games, Sanchez is 25 years old; the Jets are 8-7; he is 287 for 511 for 3,267 yards and a 56.2 completion percentage; he has 24 touchdown passes with 15 interceptions; he has a 79.0 passer rating; he has been sacked 37 times (ouch); his yards per pass attempt is 6.4.

Let's wait and see how Sanchez does in his 16th game this season.

wut?

Last edited by jetstream23; 01-16-2012 at 03:22 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend

How about both? I'm positive his neck injury was worse than reported. And, he was getting sacked all year. You can't be productive when your head is looking left and right at the DEs about to crush you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    LOL they had almost exactly the same stats but Eli was a better QB back then, yeah that makes a lot of sense
    Eli had an upside... Mark had a tremendous downfall... Stats aren't everything

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    How about both? I'm positive his neck injury was worse than reported. And, he was getting sacked all year. You can't be productive when your head is looking left and right at the DEs about to crush you.
    I hope so...

All League
    Sanchez should change his last name to Manning. More people would think he had an upside if he did.

Banned
    Every QB who sucked his third year is on the path of Eli Manning and should be given 6 years of suckage in the hopes he will also be the extremely rare case of making a huge jump from his third year.

By the way all your excuses that Sanchez is no worse than Eli and Brees was their third year will end one way or the other next year. Eli won a superbowl and Brees was phenomenal in his 4th year.
    Last edited by Magnus; 01-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.

All League
    Eli had an upside... Mark had a tremendous downfall... Stats aren't everything

After year three Giant fans hated Eli. My memory is not that short. They missed the playoffs and had only one playoff game with him, where he played like garbage. Let's not rewrite history.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Every QB who sucked his third year is on the path of Eli Manning and should be given 6 years of suckage in the hopes he will also be the extremely rare case of making a huge jump from his third year.

By the way all your excuses that Sanchez is no worse than Eli and Brees was their third year will end one way or the other next year. Eli won a superbowl and Brees was phenomenal in his 4th year.
    Question if Sanchez won a bowl with the same stats that Eli had in year 4 would you say he was good or give credit to the defense?? Eli season stats for 2007 his 4th year were 57.7% completion 3336 yds 23 tds and 20 picks with 13 fumbles.. I agree on Bree's..
    Last edited by Savage69; 01-16-2012 at 03:47 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

I Hate Sanchez! I hate Sanchez! Look at me! Look at me! I'm so smart! You're so stupid! Look at me! Look at me! I hate Sanchez! I'm such a good Jets fan! I'm so smart at stuff! Look at me!

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

Well I'm not sure facts should cloud perceptions

November 24, 2006
    There are moments on the field when Eli Manning may appear to be clueless, but that doesn't mean he is oblivious to the swirl of negativism currently hovering over him like vultures circling a rotting carcass.

Surely, Manning sees those screaming back pages and hears the vitriol on the airwaves. He's been lauded and ripped, hailed as the savior and lambasted as a bust, all in the span of his 33 NFL starts at quarterback for the Giants. Mostly, the fact that he was a rookie or still young and inexperienced provided a cushion for Manning, a safe place for him to fall.

Nowadays, he's landed with a thud. The Giants head into Nashville to face the Titans on Sunday lugging in a two-game losing streak that has Manning's fingerprints all over the wreckage. His passes lack conviction, his body-language is devoid of confidence, his teammates are concerned. One New Jersey newspaper ran a cartoon of Thanksgiving with the Manning family, with Eli asked to pass the turkey. Of course, in the next frame the bird was flying through the air, out of everyone's reach at the table. Funny stuff.

As unflappable as he seems to be, even Easy Eli has to notice that the natives are getting restless.

"I guess I'm aware of what I'm aware of and I'm not," Manning said through a slim smile, immediately recognizing a Yogi-ism as soon as he uttered it. "I understand people are going to criticize you if you don't play well."

How Manning handles the criticism figures to make for fascinating viewing in the weeks ahead. Those who take a broad view state he's only 25 years old, still a babe in the NFL woods, that he's shown signs of greatness, and just remember, it took Phil Simms a whole lot longer to emerge as the beloved quarterback he came to be. Those who want it now wave off his youth, pointing out that come Jan. 3 he turns 26, that he's displayed enough disturbing inadequacies to conclude not only will he never approach big brother Peyton, but he's destined to finish third in the Ben Roethlisberger-Philip Rivers sweepstakes.

"When you're not playing well, when you're not winning games, you're offense is not scoring points, the first person you're gonna look at is the quarterback," Manning said. "That's part of the position, that's part of your job. It starts with you with the blame and goes down from there."

Does it get to him? Outwardly, he provides no hints and those around him insist that famously docile facade is the real Eli. The unnerving calm that keeps him grounded when he needs to mount a serious comeback is now being used against him in the court of public opinion from those who want to shout, "At least act like you care!"

His retort: "You got to act like a quarterback. You can't change your personality, you can't change anything you do, you have to be yourself. If I come out and start doing something different that's not me or not real, it's not gonna sell the players or anything. It might buy something from the media or the fans, but the players are the one's you got to prove yourself to."

The stakes are always high for a quarterback taken high in the first round of the NFL draft, but the expectation level for Manning is off the charts. He's got that famous last name and the burden of living up to the mega-trade with the Chargers engineered by GM Ernie Accorsi, which will forever be a part of the Eli legacy.

"The way I look at it, you're the starting quarterback of a team, you're expected to play well," Manning said. "I expect that of myself, so it's not surprising that fans and the media expect the same thing. It's just part of the deal. You're the first pick, you're expected to play at a high level. That's what I got to do. That's the way this team is gonna succeed."
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_...#ixzz1jeVY7NNx

Funny thing. The above article mentions how importatn the upcoming game against Tenn is. How did Eli do in that game?

NASHVILLE - Forget the Giants.

When you blow a 21-0 fourth quarter lead to the Vince Young Titans, you do not deserve to call yourselves a Super Bowl contender.

When your quarterback wrecks the game after you bend over backwards for him not to wreck it, you deserve every bit of New York's scorn and derision.

Eli Manning, a 24-21 loser, could not put the Titans away, and in the end, at the end, he put the Giants away.

Disgrace does not do this one justice.

In the final minute, the Giants let Manning try to win the game with a pass down the right sidelines for David Tyree. Manning underthrew it, and Pacman Jones intercepted and soon Rob Biranas was kicking the 49-yard field goal with six seconds left that, in all likelihood, will bury the Giants.

At the end of a riotous week of unbecoming jousting between Tiki Barber and Tom Coughlin, they tossed their egos aside and came to a game day agreement that the reeling young quarterback needed their help.

When Barber - or Brandon Jacobs - gets the ball, you hear no talk that the quarterback is rattled, that he has that deer-in-the-headlights look, that he has regressed, that he does not belong in any conversation with Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger.

Coughlin and his braintrust thankfully scrapped the deep throws that had become Hail Marys for Manning and replaced them with intermediate throws, even early in the game, finally, to Jeremy Shockey, and checkdowns and screens for Barber and Jacobs, and the Giants played from so far ahead they never needed the nohuddle.

For three quarters, it worked.

But if Manning continues to need coddling like this, if Coughlin and Barber must feel compelled to wrap him inside this protective cocoon, then the Giants are in trouble.

Which they are.

At the end, when the Giants needed Manning to do something with his arm, he could not, leading to Mathias Kiwanuka letting Young go when he had him wrapped around the legs for the gamedeciding fourth-and-10 sack, leading to Young's TD pass to Brandon Jones with 44 seconds left, leading to the nail in the coffin.

Barber had eight carries in the first quarter alone. But he is a threat because he forces defenses to be on high alert every second.

And because he is such a threat, Manning doesn't have to feel as though the game is on his shoulders.

To wit:

Third-and-3 at the Tennessee 45, following a Travis Henry fumble, following a pair of Barber carries and an encroachment penalty against Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Shockey puts an inside move on linebacker Keith Bulluck and Manning hits him in congestion over the middle for seven yards. On first down now, Manning looks left and finds Burress in single coverage against Reynaldo Hill. Burress goes 6-foot-5; Hill goes 5-foot-11.

When Burress goes up for the ball, Hill has no chance. It is a 20-yard completion.

The next three plays are Barber runs that take the Giants to the 1, where Jacobs is spilled for a twoyard loss. Third-and-goal. Burress slashes inside safety Lamont Thompson and Manning hits him over the middle and it's 7-0.

Manning takes over at his 24. He rolls right on first down and finds Shockey for eight yards. Thirdandtwo. Barber splits wide of Burress on the left side. And Manning hits Burress with a quick slant for 10 yards. Manning, first down from the Tennessee 36, rolls right and hits Shockey for 10 yards. Barber gets four on first down and 10 more on a screen before Jacobs takes a pitch and makes it 14-0.

Then Henry whiffed on a handoff - Vince Young was discredited with the fumble - and when Fred Robbins recovered at the Tennessee 29, this is where Manning and the Giants tried to rediscover some of their lost swagger.

On third-and-8 at the 11, Manning hits David Tyree over the middle a foot short of the first down. Shockey points an arm over at the bench as if he is daring Coughlin to send out the field goal team. Coughlin goes for it. In the huddle, Shockey begins to pat the helmet of one Giant after another.

Jacobs rumbles in to make it 21-0.

Early in the fourth quarter, they let Manning try a bomb, an overthrow down the right sidelines for Burress that was intercepted by Jones. It gave the Titans sudden life. And don't think Bill Parcells and the Cowboys don't know it.
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_...#ixzz1jeX0btKm

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    November 24, 2006

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_...#ixzz1jeVY7NNx

Funny thing. The above article mentions how importatn the upcoming game against Tenn is. How did Eli do in that game?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_...#ixzz1jeX0btKm
    Yeah, but people are stupid and this doesn't mean anything.

Hall Of Fame
    I have some news for people thinking Sanchez is going to have a break-out season in 2012 or any year afterwards.

The Jets offense is going back to a running offense next year. Sanchez' role will be diminished. His opportunities will be less. He is going to have to make the most of the few chances he will get to make a play. If the run offense succeeds they will keep it going in future seasons. If it fails, Sanchez will be gone. He is in a near lose, lose situation.

Jets are downsizing Sanchez. I dont care what Sparano says about having to throw balls downfield or what he did with Matt Moore. As soon as Sanchez makes a bad throw down-field, the offense will go into a shell and stay there, just like it was this year. Rex has no faith in Sanchez. He is not going to let a player he doesn't trust ultimately decide his future as a coach.

Lets all just hope he manages the games to the best of his abilities and makes fewer mistakes. And when they call his number, he is able to take advantage. And lets hope the team around him gets better as well. Because if it doesn't they aren't going anywhere.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have some news for people thinking Sanchez is going to have a break-out season in 2012 or any year afterwards.

The Jets offense is going back to a running offense next year. Sanchez' role will be diminished. His opportunities will be less. He is going to have to make the most of the few chances he will get to make a play. If the run offense succeeds they will keep it going in future seasons. If it fails, Sanchez will be gone. He is in a near lose, lose situation.

Jets are downsizing Sanchez. I dont care what Sparano says about having to throw balls downfield or what he did with Matt Moore. As soon as Sanchez makes a bad throw down-field, the offense will go into a shell and stay there, just like it was this year. Rex has no faith in Sanchez. He is not going to let a player he doesn't trust ultimately decide his future as a coach.

Lets all just hope he manages the games to the best of his abilities and makes fewer mistakes. And when they call his number, he is able to take advantage. And lets hope the team around him gets better as well. Because if it doesn't they aren't going anywhere.
    It's almost as if Sanchez has never thrown a nice game.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    It's almost as if Sanchez has never thrown a nice game.
    He has. He has made some great throws.

But his leash is going to be incredibly short this year. And a new system, even if it is "simplified" will make things harder for him. There is still a learning curve. But he is not going to get the curve, LOL. He has his work cut out for him and if he does succeed he deserves a ton of credit b.c it would have earned it.

I just hope the Jets get off to a nice start b.c if they don't they are going to be getting killed in the media and among the fans.

Maybe the NFL will show some love and schedule some of those NFC West games early on.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

If you are correct, then Rex's future as a coach is already determined and he will be a failure.

If they dont turn sanchez loose and see if he really can lead the team and become a top level QB, then our offense will continue to be anemic, we wont be able to win, and both Rex and Sanchez will be gone.

QB is HARD, especially when you dont have the cushion of sitting for 3 years to learn. Eli also had about 20 more college starts then Sanchez....

The guy had a rough year, and got his a$$ KICKED IN. But he is alive to fight another day, just as Eli was. Its time to dump the color coded wristband. Its time to let him run if the opportunity presents itsel. Its time to throw downfield and see what else opens up for the offense, and try to keep the DLine from teeing off on him. Let him start to play with his instincts (like in the 2minute drill where he excels), rather then micromanaging every shift/formation and checkdown.

If he fails fine, but its time to let him TRY.