The WR Situation

I believe how Tanny, Rex & Sparano handle the WR spot could indicate how
    much faith they have in Sanchez going forward. With "chemistry" being
    an issue will they bring back Cotchery, Edwards and add a draft pick which
    would make Sanchez more comfortable. Or will they look to add other
    veteran WR's which will force him to learn another new crew and a new
    offensive system

All League
    draft a WR early and then bring in a veteran like Garcon or Meachum. with Kerley and Holmes it would be an upgraded unit.

All Pro
    The thing for me isnt so much who we bring in but what kind of players. The right mix is the solution for our problems. Actually last season we were close to perfect considering how the receivers complemented each other. Edwards had to be respected deep and we could go to him at certain times for the big play. Then we had great underneath receivers who had room to operate in Keller, LT, Holmes and Cotchery.

Now we still have Holmes and Kerley who are very good in the short and medium range. McKnight or LT if we bring him back are strong receivers at RB. What we need is a) a player who can blow the top off the defense and make them respect the deep ball, b) another big target for Sanchez to go in third down situations and c) another tight end who can catch the ball. Those players dont have to be superstars, with a strong running game which we will certainly force next year there will be enough room and opportunities to make plays.

Find the right mix and Sanchez plus the entire offense will look a lot better, more focused and better prepared.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I still say sign a relatively cheap deep threat like Eddie Royal and draft a receiver to groom in the 2nd or 3rd round.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    I believe how Tanny, Rex & Sparano handle the WR spot could indicate how
    much faith they have in Sanchez going forward. With "chemistry" being
    an issue will they bring back Cotchery, Edwards and add a draft pick which
    would make Sanchez more comfortable. Or will they look to add other
    veteran WR's which will force him to learn another new crew and a new
    offensive system
    I think the biggest surprise of the season was Kerley. I know he isnt a big, physical receiver, but he seemed to have some big 3rd down catches down the stretch.

Who knows about Plax (if he will be back), and Santonio when not causing problems, is only a "good" WR imo. I dont see him as dominant, do you?

Id like to see them address it in the draft. Im getting jealous of watching other teams draft beasting, young, WR's, while the Jets settle for FA older options that often lack athleticism.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I still say sign a relatively cheap deep threat like Eddie Royal and draft a receiver to groom in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    I like Royal but I dont like the idea of all those short receivers. Sanchez needs taller targets.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd like to see them bring back........you-know-who.

But also I'd like to see them draft a WR in the 3rd round or something(you never know if we can find a diamond in the rough there) and, if they can, sign Meachum.

The higher Draft selections SHOULD BE for the O-Line and Pass-Rusher, IMO.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1
    I want young and hungry players. Guys that play hard whistle to whistle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    draft a WR early and then bring in a veteran like Garcon or Meachum. with Kerley and Holmes it would be an upgraded unit.
    Id rather draft a monster LB or S early and sign Edwards and Garcon added to the mix with Holmes,Kerley and Turner. Unless of course a WR beast is still there at 16. The defense has way too many holes to fill to go offense early in the draft.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I like Royal but I dont like the idea of all those short receivers. Sanchez needs taller targets.
    If we were to sign Royal, then I say draft a guy like Dwight Jones in the 2nd or Nick Toon in the 3rd.

Both are 6'3+ and can go up and get the ball.

Turner and Jones/Toon would serve as the big targets.

Charter JI Member
    Sanchez is so comfortable throwing to Keller I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets add another athletic TE to the mix. I have to admit seeing the way the Pats use their TE's makes me think a two TE set, comprised of fast athletic guys that can catch, will only help the passing game and the running game.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    The thing for me isnt so much who we bring in but what kind of players. The right mix is the solution for our problems. Actually last season we were close to perfect considering how the receivers complemented each other. Edwards had to be respected deep and we could go to him at certain times for the big play. Then we had great underneath receivers who had room to operate in Keller, LT, Holmes and Cotchery.

Now we still have Holmes and Kerley who are very good in the short and medium range. McKnight or LT if we bring him back are strong receivers at RB. What we need is a) a player who can blow the top off the defense and make them respect the deep ball, b) another big target for Sanchez to go in third down situations and c) another tight end who can catch the ball. Those players dont have to be superstars, with a strong running game which we will certainly force next year there will be enough room and opportunities to make plays.

Find the right mix and Sanchez plus the entire offense will look a lot better, more focused and better prepared.
    I completely agree, however, where do you get that guy...that big WR? I think you HAVE to go via draft, because if the team is truly going back to a ground and pound, that (FA WR) money could be used to shore up the line, and add depth to the RB (who knows if LT will be back). To get a big WR in FA, im guessing it would come at a high cost, where a draft pick could be used and you just take a roll of the dice said player pans out....?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I'd like to see them bring back........you-know-who.

But also I'd like to see them draft a WR in the 3rd round or something(you never know if we can find a diamond in the rough there) and, if they can, sign Meachum.

The higher Draft selections SHOULD BE for the O-Line and Pass-Rusher, IMO.
    Cotchery ??

Veteran

alshon jeffrey

Banned
    This thread reminds me of all the voids that need to be filled on this roster.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I completely agree, however, where do you get that guy...that big WR? I think you HAVE to go via draft, because if the team is truly going back to a ground and pound, that (FA WR) money could be used to shore up the line, and add depth to the RB (who knows if LT will be back). To get a big WR in FA, im guessing it would come at a high cost, where a draft pick could be used and you just take a roll of the dice said player pans out....?
    With a big receiver I didnt mean a stud, a number one guy. I meant some decent, complete receiver like a BJ Cunningham or Nick Toon who can be had later in the draft. Basically a more talented Patrick Turner.

Veteran
    i do not want to trade any draft pics. time for tanny to start to replenish this roster with youth and speed.

as for wr. let be realistic. holmes is going to stay. he loses his captain stripe, but need to compliment him. I honestly think u may get most out of your money by bringing edwards back. He is tremendous physical tools and has proven to be a good compliment to holmes. i think you have to try and fill as many holes in FA prior to draft and then choose BAP.

i like the development of kerley, but he looks like a no. 3 wr at this point. Mid 1st round pick is most likely: DE/OLB, WR, OT or RB. not sure if any safeties will grade out that high, but a clear need. Not a fan of TE in round 1, but clearly not a positon of depth. think ILB we can fill from within.

bigger stronger and faster. free agency and draft class.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Sanchez is so comfortable throwing to Keller I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets add another athletic TE to the mix. I have to admit seeing the way the Pats use their TE's makes me think a two TE set, comprised of fast athletic guys that can catch, will only help the passing game and the running game.
    Free agents.
    Jermichael Finley *
    Fred Davis
    Martellus Bennett
    John Carlson
    Jacob Tamme
    Scott Chandler
    Kellen Davis
    Craig Stevens (Signed 4-year deal on 1/13)
    Visanthe Shiancoe
    Jeremy Shockey
    Joel Dreessen
    Daniel Fells
    Bo Scaife
    Leonard Pope
    Randy McMichael
    Alex Smith
    Dante Rosario
    Kris Wilson
    Donald Lee
    Reggie Kelly
    Anthony Becht
    Stephen Spach
    John Gilmore
    Justin Peelle
    Billy Bajema
    Tory Humphrey

Any Gronkowskis or Hernandezs in the draft?

All League
    Is Cotchery on a one year deal??....If so get em ...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Any Gronkowskis or Hernandezs in the draft?
    Maybe, but the Jets arent going to uncover them. LOL.

I dont think they are going to get Sanchez a big target unless another team is throwing one away.

I think the Jets are going to build this team from the inside out. They are going to solidify the OL and DL. Then they are going to address the OLB and another TE than can block.