Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If buying NFL jerseys before April, buyer beware

Veteran

If buying NFL jerseys before April, buyer beware

We write this item not to create problems for our friends at the NFL. But our loyalty lies primarily to the millions (and, amazingly, there really are millions) who rely on us for information about the sport they love.

If you love the NFL enough to plunk down some jack for a jersey, replica or official, you probably should wait three months.

In April 2012, Nike takes over the apparel contract from Reebok. And on the day that the switch was announced in October 2010, Nike Brand president Charlie Denson told Darren Rovell of CNBC that significant adjustments are coming.

“We plan on changing the NFL jersey dramatically just like we’ve done with the college programs, using new thinking and the greatest technology available,” Denson said. “The NFL program hasn’t had the same type of advancement in recent years.

The looming change possibly explains why players like Vikings running back Adrian Peterson are contemplating a number change. Recently on his Twitter page, Peterson mused about shifting to No. 21 or No. 23. (Maybe Peterson knows something that cornerback Asher Allen, who currently wears No. 21, doesn’t.)

In past years, a player-initiated number change would have been met with a requirement that the player refund Reebok for the existing inventory of jerseys with the number he wants to abandon. With the new Nike jerseys coming soon, there’s a chance that it will be open season for the shifting of numbers.

Regardless of whether we’ll see players changing numbers, the jerseys apparently will be changing. And it would make sense to refrain from breaking out your change purse until the new designs are unveiled.

Hall Of Fame
    Nike is referring to how the jersey is made, not the design, color scheme, etc.

So, like the NBA's new jerseys. The Jets' jerseys will look exactly the same, but the fabric and construction will be different.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

So, like the NBA's new jerseys. The Jets' jerseys will look exactly the same, but the fabric and construction will be different.
    With a monster Nike swoosh emblazoned across the chest.

Banned

Wow. Is this it? That's assbad!

SAR I

All League
    4 posts only for someone to post this.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    would look good at the tailgate Doubt it will have the black though. Prob will just be a tighter fit than the reebok jersey.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by manmrmoore View Post
    We write this item not to create problems for our friends at the NFL. ..........................
    Who are WE ??

Prolly a BS note by some nike official...don't want fans taking advantage of discounted reebok prices and then not paying up for the new nike prices...

Banned
    The Reebok sweat shop is now the Nike sweat shop. This happened before Starter-Nike-Reebok and the jerseys still look the same. This is a Reebok ploy to get everyone to run out and buy Reebok stuff so they can get rid of inventory.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    The Reebok sweat shop is now the Nike sweat shop. This happened before Starter-Nike-Reebok and the jerseys still look the same. This is a Reebok ploy to get everyone to run out and buy Reebok stuff so they can get rid of inventory.
    Modells has Jets stuff at half off and Sports Authority, buy one get one free.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

I think so too. Will still be cool and noticeable though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Modells has Jets stuff at half off and Sports Authority, buy one get one free.
    Thanks, but no thanks this team has cost me enough money and misery this season.

All Pro

SAR I
    Why does the guy have no head?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Its Sanchez no head no brains..................

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

SAR I
    Thank you.

im not buying any jerseys from now on for the following reason:

Pennington - Injuries ensued.
    Abraham - Traded
    Moss - Gone to Washington
    Coles - Gone to Washington
    Chrebet -1 too many concussions - career over
    Leon Washington - injured and off the team
    Favre - we know what happened
    Holmes (this year) - and wow.

All of the above jerseys were bought in a timely fashion just in time for failure.

so my new strategy if i buy a jersey is to buy one of someone i want off the team.

I almost bought a Revis or Sanchez jersey this year but thought against it due to my bad karma w/ jerseys. if hunter is back on the team next year i'll buy his.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    they probably didnt have rights to use actual players from the NFLPA when this was mocked up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    im not buying any jerseys from now on for the following reason:

Pennington - Injuries ensued.
    Abraham - Traded
    Moss - Gone to Washington
    Coles - Gone to Washington
    Chrebet -1 too many concussions - career over
    Leon Washington - injured and off the team
    Favre - we know what happened
    Holmes (this year) - and wow.

All of the above jerseys were bought in a timely fashion just in time for failure.

so my new strategy if i buy a jersey is to buy one of someone i want off the team.

I almost bought a Revis or Sanchez jersey this year but thought against it due to my bad karma w/ jerseys. if hunter is back on the team next year i'll buy his.

Chrebet is a keeper great all-time Jets WR.
    Favre is a keeper future hall of famer legend in a Jets uniform.
    Pennington is a keeper for me only because its a $240 real deal authentic never worn.

Others fire pit material.

Hall Of Fame
    SAR, those are fakes. Been floating around web for about a year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Some things are as predictable and death and taxes.

This thread is one of those things.