Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets have 2 Top 10 Safties?

Jets have 2 Top 10 Safties?

According to ProFootball Focus we do. Eric Smith is also one of the surest tacklers, though he wasn't one of our 2 to make the top 10 on this list.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...ies-2008-2010/

This is why you can have to take what this site says with a grain of salt. They also have Kerry Rhodes as the 4th best Saftey in the league.

There are some positions with PFF that you have to treat a little differently.

I very much trust the OL numbers and the front 7 on defense. Measurables for skill positions and secondary are a lot tougher.

Smith is a good tackler though... That much should be obvious. WHere he stinks is actually getting to the spot to make the tackle. He takes very poor angles and shows bad instincts a lot of the time.

All League
    That's from July 2011, it does not include 2011 production...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Funny, but the Eric Smith problem wasn't a major problem for us this last year, Smith's covering issues were more of a product of inadequate play at punter and RDE. We win and lose as a team as a whole.

Ray Ray19

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4347222]According to ProFootball Focus we do. Eric Smith is also one of the surest tacklers, though he wasn't one of our 2 to make the top 10 on this list.

after the wr or te got the 1st down, he made the tackle

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Smith is a good tackler, but was exposed by players like Gronk/Hernandez/etc in his coverage, which let's face it, those players expose everyone.

He lost me at "Kerry Rhodes rarely missed tackles". Rhodes' coverage was strong, but his tackling was Cromartie-esque to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    According to ProFootball Focus we do. Eric Smith is also one of the surest tacklers, though he wasn't one of our 2 to make the top 10 on this list.

This is why you can have to take what this site says with a grain of salt. They also have Kerry Rhodes as the 4th best Saftey in the league.
    this is why i dont care what this site says.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Those are rankings from 2008-2010. Our safeties are always going to look better than they are anyways because our corners are so good.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Smith is a good tackler, but was exposed by players like Gronk/Hernandez/etc in his coverage, which let's face it, those players expose everyone.

He lost me at "Kerry Rhodes rarely missed tackles". Rhodes' coverage was strong, but his tackling was Cromartie-esque to say the least.
    Smith was exposed on many other occasions. Basically every tight end beat him and we saw teams making a clear effort to single him out as the weak link of our coverage unit. Then of course he looked downright horrible at times when he had the chance to make an important tackle like when he could stop a big gain from an even bigger gain (Victor Cruz TD). He screwed up at the end against Denver. There are countless plays where his lack of athletisism and speed hurt the team and it is painful to imagine that he starts again next year because we need someone who knows the system... I doubt we go into next season with 2 new safeties... sickening, just sickening...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I wouldn't say he "missed" tackles. More "avoided" them.

All Pro
    I remember Tebo running right by him !

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Smith was exposed on many other occasions. Basically every tight end beat him and we saw teams making a clear effort to single him out as the weak link of our coverage unit. Then of course he looked downright horrible at times when he had the chance to make an important tackle like when he could stop a big gain from an even bigger gain (Victor Cruz TD). He screwed up at the end against Denver. There are countless plays where his lack of athletisism and speed hurt the team... sickening, just sickening...
    agreed 100%.
    he will be gone by august 1 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    That's from July 2011, it does not include 2011 production...
    No, they just posted it today.

Their rating system is dumb, I did think Pool was solid though. We didn't get lit up by TEs during the 2010 season, it was this year with Eric Smith starting that we got lit up. Who knows why the Jets started Smith over Pool, but hopefully they upgrade the position this offseason.

I think PFF had Smith giving up more yards in coverage than any safety in the league this past season.

All Pro
    No, they just posted it today.
    "Making the Grade Safeties, 2008-2010
    July 27th, 2011 | Author: Khaled Elsayed"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Another perfect example of the "to hell with stats, use your eyes" philosophy.

Seriously.

Numbers are greatly overblown. To hell with the numbers, if you have a half way functional set of eyeballs, then you should be able to tell that Eric Smith is the epitome of dogsh*t in coverage. He's not even that consistent against the run to be honest (his supposed strong suit).

If we want to regulate him to a special teamer/nickel LB like we did through the first 3 or 4 years of his career, then that's fine. But relying on him as a starter in any capacity is just an accident waiting to happen.

All League
    Outdated article. PFF also has Coverage Yards given up per Snap for Safeties in 2011 and Eric Smith is dead last in the league.

All Pro
    You know it is bad when everyone around the league or even the people who dont watch the Jets regularly know who the problem is on your team. A couple of weeks ago you could go through basically every mock draft and every one had the Jets at some point taking a safety. Everybody was taking shots at Smith and went over it how bad he is.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Outdated article. PFF also has Coverage Yards given up per Snap for Safeties in 2011 and Eric Smith is dead last in the league.
    i actually love PFF. i think their stats are very well thought out and fair. and IMO, they do a very good job of rating and ranking players. definitely better than the standard stats used in the NFL.

All League

This is completely out of context. This was over the last three years. This year Eric Smith, using their measurements, was the 80th out of 86 safeties with a -14.6 rating. Kerry Rhodes is 27th, with +0.5 rating. He is surrounded by JAG safeties at that ranking, tho obviously not terribad like smith.