Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaun Ellis talks about Patriots and Jets

All League

Shaun Ellis talks about Patriots and Jets

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything on this yet. I have no comment

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ets-no-loyalty
    Shaun Ellis: Jets have 'no loyalty'

Soon after the lockout was settled, Ellis signed a one-year, $4 million contract with the Patriots, the Jets' longtime nemesis. You could argue that loyalty is a two-way street, and that Ellis was a sell out, but he insisted that wasn't the case.

"I didn't. They didn't want me," said Ellis, revealing that he will consider retirement after the Super Bowl. "That was obvious by what they offered me. ... It was a no-brainer. I gave them an opportunity and they said, 'Nope.' "

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, looking for an experienced defensive lineman with the versatility to line up in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, jumped at the chance to sign Ellis. Belichick, a former Jets assistant, has signed many ex-Jets over the years. Even though the so-called Border War is intense, he has no problem reaching across the rivalry to grab a player.

"He has brought a level of maturity and professionalism that has been very well-received by our players and the entire organization," Belichick said.

Ellis hasn't produced big numbers (14 tackles and one sack), and he appeared in only three plays in the AFC Championship Game, but he's okay with that. He's in the Super Bowl. He came tantalizingly close with the Jets, reaching the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010.

"It's been a huge ride for me, being on the other side for so long, watching them go to Super Bowls and losing to them," he said. "Then I come on their side, and it all happens again, they make the Super Bowl. It's amazing."

Ellis said several former teammates have reached out to him, wishing him luck on Sunday against the New York Giants. He said he didn't pay too much attention to the Jets' locker-room turmoil, but he was taken aback when he saw LaDainian Tomlinson -- in a recent TV interview -- describing the discord.

"He's definitely one of the most respected guys in the league and for him to say something of that magnitude, you know it's a serious problem," he said.

Describing the difference in styles between the Patriots and Jets, Ellis said players are required by Belichick to check their ego at the door. Under Ryan?

"They can go through the door," he said, laughing. "At the Patriots, everybody is treated the same, even (Tom) Brady. He gets yelled at, too."

After years of trying to beat them in the AFC East, Ellis said he now realizes why the Patriots have been so successful.

"They just outwork everybody," he said.

Hall Of Fame
    At least he was classy.

All Pro
    Only 3 plays last week? The Jets made the right move letting him go. Hes done.

Veteran
    What, and the Pats are known for their loyalty?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Only 3 plays last week? The Jets made the right move letting him go. Hes done.
    +1

Ellis is one of my all time favorites, but the Jets were right to let him go.

He is not worth 4 million a year.

All Pro
    By all accounts, Ellis was offered a vet minimum, one year contract and turned it down. Based on his production this season, it was a fair evaluation and offer.

No hard feelings toward Ellis. He did what any sane professional athlete should do, and you can't blame him for it. It was time to part ways.

Big numbers? How about zero numbers?

The guy was finished, and this season has reflected that. The only players you keep around regardless of performance are the once in a lifetime players. The Derek Jeters

All League
    Congrats Shaun you got a "gold watch" contract from NE and an
    appearance in the SB. But your performance this year proves the
    Jets were correct in "showing no loyalty". Thanks for your Jet years
    and happy retirement

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

It was the correct move by the Jets. We got better and younger with Mo Wilkerson.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    What, and the Pats are known for their loyalty?
    +1 It's a business the Pats dumped All Pro Seymour right before the 09 season..

All Pro
    Shaun should ask Richard Seymour about how loyal the Patriots are.

All League
    Unfortunately, it's a business. I loved Ellis on the Jets, but he clearly doesn't have it anymore.

All Pro

Sean Ellis, On His Way to Super Bowl, Whines About Jets' (Lack of) Loyalty

Wow, get over it man. You're in the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    it's amazing how the giants and former jets are still bashing the jets, even when they're in the super bowl. just goes to show you how much rex has gotten under the skin of rivals.

Hall Of Fame
    10$ says Cimini interviews Woodhead tomorrow so can get a jab in or 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    10$ says Cimini interviews Woodhead tomorrow so can get a jab in or 2.
    why not. let super bowl week be about how the jets are not there, rather than about the teams that are there.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

After years of trying to beat them in the AFC East, Ellis said he now realizes why the Patriots have been so successful.

"They just outwork everybody," he said.
    This nugget is what really bothers me. Wasn't Rex hired to bring that ethic?

After this year's locker room debacle, and play on the field, maybe Rex just does not have the skill, or desire, to get this done. It's easy to say you "didn't come here to kiss Bellicheat's rings". But altogether another matter to work/teach your team so their effort makes your statement a reality. Rex=JAG.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    This nugget is what really bothers me. Wasn't Rex hired to bring that ethic? After this year's locker room debacle, and play on the field, maybe Rex just does not have the skill, or desire, to get this done. It's easy to say you "didn't come here to kiss Bellicheat's rings". But altogether another matter to work/teach your team so their effort makes your statement a reality. Rex=JAG.
    i think anyone can say this, and he got a jab in at his former team that he played for a decade and didn't want him back.

i think rex's defense plays hard for him. i think much of the offense checked out midyear b/c of the turmoil and general dislike for schotty's system.

Practice Squad
    These comments bother me. Ellis should understand his performance this year was accurately predicted by the jets. HE is the one who isn't loyal. Loyalty would be him taking a cheaper contract to finish his career with the jets. Loyalty isn't jeopardizing the cap to overpay a guy who wouldn't produce. By the end of his career, he should realize his last paycheck will be paid knowing he isn't worth the money. Can you name a player that retired being worth their contract value?(Please exclude vet min contracts, Ellis is getting paid 4 mil)

TOTAL BS

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think anyone can say this, and he got a jab in at his former team that he played for a decade and didn't want him back.

i think rex's defense plays hard for him. i think much of the offense checked out midyear b/c of the turmoil and general dislike for schotty's system.
    I don't know. Anyone who's played for Bellicheat says the same thing: They work hard and no one gets special treatment.