Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Season for Sure Thing??

All League

Tank Season for Sure Thing??

There are rumors out there that the Rams are shopping the 2nd pick (RGIII) for a king's ransom. Not sure RGIII is a "sure thing", but Luck might be.

If the Jets could trade for the next Elway/Manning/Aikman (aka - Sure Thing), would you be willing to see them risk missing the playoffs again?

Example: Trade for Luck, but it means trading most of the Jets picks and being trapped in Salary Cap hell and thus unable to sign any expensive players to improve the team: top WR/OL/Safety?

Essentially, the Jets would be risking a bad season for the reward of a decade of good QB play.

If I was the GM/Owner and was 100% positive that I could get a young Elway/Manning/Aikman, I would probably do it.

All League
    Aikman no; Manning yes.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Indy is not trading the #1 because they need Luck. But lets say they were trading it and Manning was healthy. For the Jets to trade up to the #1 spot for Luck all trade disscussions would start with Revis, this years #1 and probably next years as well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Indy is not trading the #1 because they need Luck. But lets say they were trading it and Manning was healthy. For the Jets to trade up to the #1 spot for Luck all trade disscussions would start with Revis, this years #1 and probably next years as well.
    And if I could get a top 5 NFL QB, and especially a Manning or Brady I would do that trade every day and twice on Sunday. To be honest, if the Jets grade RG3 at that level they should consider it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    That would be it? Revis is gone in two years anyway.

If we knew in advance Luck was a "sure Elway", then I don't see how anyone wouldnt do this trade. But for Luck right now, question marks and all? Would be interesting. At least it would make us get rid of Cavanaugh, that alone is probably worth Revis and a 3rd.

All Pro
    Tank the season--with Sanchez at the helm we are best a 500 team anyway. I would willingly 'tank" it if thats what it means.

Banned
    What have we become?

JetsInsider.com Legend

All Pro
    You'll notice there are no stories about the Colts shopping their pick.

Luck is the closest thing to a sure thing since Carson Palmer (who was destined to be great before his knee injury) teams don't trade away "sure things"

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Tank the season--with Sanchez at the helm we are best a 500 team anyway. I would willingly 'tank" it if thats what it means.
    Because of Sanchez we're a .500 team at best? What about those back to back AFC championship years? What was our overall record those two years?

Oh RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT.

I remember

13-6 and 11-10. Those add to, let me get my calculator, 24-16.

I'm fairly certain 24-16 is over .500. Right?

Lets take into account this season where we were 8-8 (his supposed best possible outcome). That puts his overall record at 32-24. Man. Yeah, the best chance we got with this guy is 8-8.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post
    Because of Sanchez we're a .500 team at best? What about those back to back AFC championship years? What was our overall record those two years?

Oh RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT.

I remember

13-6 and 11-10. Those add to, let me get my calculator, 24-16.

I'm fairly certain 24-16 is over .500. Right?

Lets take into account this season where we were 8-8 (his supposed best possible outcome). That puts his overall record at 32-24. Man. Yeah, the best chance we got with this guy is 8-8.
    +1

how quick people forget about the good times.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

All Pro
    I'm sick of the "let's tank" attitude that has permeated through fan bases around the sports world.

It's gotten to the point where you either win the championship or you might as well have finished in last. A lot of people don't seem to get any sense of enjoyment out of making the playoffs anymore. How did this happen? I'm not just talking about Jets fans here.

Veteran
    no such thing as a sure thing. you just don't know. If the Jets had the #2 pick this year, I would be hoping they would trade back too. RGIII, what is he 6 feet? Even Luck's arm isn't that great. I don't believe either are close to Manning. And for recent comparisons, I don't think either are as good as Cam Newton. Newton basically single handedly won the national title for Auburn --he had no real offensive weapons. Now that guy was worth a 1 or 2 draft picks. Look at all the great QBs taken later -- Rodgers, Brees, Brady, just to name a few. Luck and RGIII are the best QBs of a pretty weak QB class. Good, of course, they are. But if someone is going to give me a few first rounders and some other picks for 1 or 2, I'm accepting. And that's probably why I am not a GM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post

That's only a winning percentage of .571, which equates to a 9-7 season.

That will put you at least 4 games behind the Patriots in the division.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's only a winning percentage of .571, which equates to a 9-7 season.

That will put you at least 4 games behind the Patriots in the division.
    what did you do while you gone from JI? it seems like you spend 20 hours a day on this site.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Hell, why stop there? Let's trade Revis, Mangold, and Brick, our three Pro Bowlers for first round picks. Then let's trade the rest of the team in packages for more picks. Soon we'll own the entire first round, and we can start from scrap. Then, if that team doesn't win the Superbowl in 2012, we can trade all of them and then do the same thing in 2013. We can continue each year from then until we win the Superbowl, and then only trade everyone when they play bad. No patience for anyone. If they don't make the All Pro team, they're worthless.

CUT EVERYONE! FIRE EVERYONE! RESTRUCTURE EVERYONE!

[QUOTE=John_0515;4375322]Hell, why stop there? Let's trade Revis, Mangold, and Brick, our three Pro Bowlers for first round picks. Then let's trade the rest of the team in packages for more picks. Soon we'll own the entire first round, and we can start from scrap. Then, if that team doesn't win the Superbowl in 2012, we can trade all of them and then do the same thing in 2013. We can continue each year from then until we win the Superbowl, and then only trade everyone when they play bad. No patience for anyone. If they don't make the All Pro team, they're worthless.

CUT EVERYONE! FIRE EVERYONE! RESTRUCTURE EVERYONE!

[

+Infinity this place has officially gone crazy...

All Pro
    What's so crazy about it?

Sustained success in this league is directly correlated with great QB play. There's nothing you don't give up to get a guy you think is the next Elway/Manning.

Hall Of Fame
    Fact is that it pays to "tank" at the right time. In all sports. Spurs with Duncan. Cavs with Lebron. Colts with Manning and Luck. If you are going to suck, it pays to do it during the right year.

I would gladly go 0-16 if it meant getting Peyton Manning for 15 years. BTW the Jets did suck for Manning but he didnt want to come here so he stood in school. HAHAHA.

When the Jets sucked they got Keyshawn Johnson, LOL. It pays to suck at the right time.

As for Indy and Luck. It will take crippling you recent draft future to get him. Luck has a HoF grade. To be honest, I don't even think the Colts would want Revis, hes too expensive and is not a player that would likely be with them long-term. He does nothing to help them rebuild. They would just want picks. Probably 3 #1s to start. And if you think that is crazy go look up what the Raiders gave up for Palmer and what the Falcons gave up for Jones.

If I had to guess, it would cost (3) #1s, (2) #2 and (1) #3. But IMO I think it would be worth it. I think he is going to be a phenom. He has no knocks in his game. He can learn in a week what has took Sanchez years. He is a football junkie, which is what I think a QB has to be.

And you would also need Irsay to be crazy.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-24-2012 at 10:28 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fact is that it pays to "tank" at the right time. In all sports. Spurs with Duncan. Cavs with Lebron. Colts with Manning and Luck. If you are going to suck, it pays to do it during the right year.
    The Heat tanked hard for Derrick Rose and it got them Michael Beasley. The Nets tanked for John Wall and it got them Derrick Favors.

I wanted the Jets to tank for Reggie Bush, we didn't, and ended up with D'Brick instead.