Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL: Jets are "Geniuses"

Veteran

NFL: Jets are "Geniuses"

Mr. T should take a bow for this one. Sanchez gets that $10 million bonus only if he leads Jets to FOUR SUPPER BOWLS in FIVE SEASONS. How could Sanchez's reps let him sign such a nonsense bonus. Can this be right?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

The New York Jets' decision to extend the contract of Mark Sanchez was met with derision by many, but like the plot of a Spanish soap opera, it takes time to figure out what's going on.

Sanchez signed a three-year extension with the team on Friday, but he wasn't significantly richer or more secure when he woke up on Monday morning.

In 2012, Sanchez will make the same money ($11.75 million) he was set to earn before the extension. The difference is how it pays out: According to NationalFootballPost.com, Sanchez will now receive an $8 million signing bonus and a $3.25 million guaranteed salary, along with an offseason workout bonus of $500,000. The bonus is spread over the five remaining years of the deal, saving $6.4 million against the Jets' cap.

In 2013, Sanchez goes from a non-guaranteed $6 million to a guaranteed $8.75 million. The guarantee is nice, though it would have taken an epically bad season (think Blaine Gabbert, only more abject terror) for the Jets not to bring him back in the final year of his original deal.

All told, Sanchez will get $20.5 million guaranteed compared to $17.75 million of non-guaranteed money over the next two years. It's a "measly" raise of $2.75 million.

The rest of the deal is non-guaranteed, meaning the Jets can cut ties whenever they like. If Sanchez puts it together and becomes the quarterback they hope for, the Jets will have him under their control for three additional seasons at a discount rate. This was smart business.

Finally, there's a surreal aspect to the extension in the form of an escalator that can reach a cool $10 million if Sanchez leads the Jets to four Super Bowl titles in the next five seasons.

Of course, the Jets haven't been to a Super Bowl -- let alone won the damn game -- in 43 years. If Sanchez led the charge on a four-peat, the world would collapse into itself before the final check changed hands. The Jets are geniuses.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

So do we want him to get this bonus or is it better to save the cap room? :

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    So do we want him to get this bonus or is it better to save the cap room?
    win 3, tank the 4th to avoid payout.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He prob gets 2.5 mil for each SB. So if they win 4 he gets 10 mil, if he wins 1 he gets 2.5 of the bonus, etc

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    He prob gets 2.5 mil for each SB. So if they win 4 he gets 10 mil, if he wins 1 he gets 2.5 of the bonus, etc
    true but my interpretation is funnier

Veteran
    Woody would retroactively raise PSL prices using the reasoning that any team that wins fours SBs in five years is a "premium" team and we fans should pay more to enjoy watching them live and in person.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Nice job by the Jets. Mark got a good deal too, he won't get that bonus, but he's firmly entrenched as the QB now.

These contracts always follow the same pattern: Players' agents leak information that makes it sound like they got the player an insanely good deal, the fanbase freaks out, then a few days later the team puts out their information, and we have the full story.

Hall Of Fame
    Lets just start with 1 SB. I will "settle" for that.

Fact still remains that if he falls on his face in 2012 then his 2013 salary is still fully guaranteed. Very real possibility.

Given the circumstances the Jets were under I am OK with this deal. I am not OK with the practices that led to those circumstances.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Fact still remains that if he falls on his face in 2012 then his 2013 salary is still fully guaranteed. Very real possibility.
    Will you EVER give it a rest with the Sanchez hate? I think the 4 SuperBowl clause in the contract is for what it will take for you to stop hating the kid.

All League
    Impossible to read this and not give a ton of credit to Tanny. If the Jets are able to bring in any mid-level or above FA, this move could be the primary reason why, and it comes at little risk to the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Will you EVER give it a rest with the Sanchez hate? I think the 4 SuperBowl clause in the contract is for what it will take for you to stop hating the kid.
    Love how you negated the last part of my post. Way to cherry-pick.

I will say it again. I do not HATE any players. Nor do I LOVE any players.

IMO those are equally bad.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    Woody would retroactively raise PSL prices using the reasoning that any team that wins fours SBs in five years is a "premium" team and we fans should pay more to enjoy watching them live and in person.
    If we win 4 Super Bowls in 5 years I'll commit to doubling the price I paid for my PSLs just on principle.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Nice job by the Jets. Mark got a good deal too, he won't get that bonus, but he's firmly entrenched as the QB now.

These contracts always follow the same pattern: Players' agents leak information that makes it sound like they got the player an insanely good deal, the fanbase freaks out, then a few days later the team puts out their information, and we have the full story.
    Yep, good job by the Jets.

Now Mark, take us to the Promised Land!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

In 2013, Sanchez goes from a non-guaranteed $6 million to a guaranteed $8.75 million. The guarantee is nice, though it would have taken an epically bad season (think Blaine Gabbert, only more abject terror) for the Jets not to bring him back in the final year of his original deal.
    If the bolded part is true (whether you want it or not), its a great move by the Jets hands down. If there was a real possibility that the Jets would/could move on from Sanchez if he has an unspectacular year this upcoming year, then its questionable as this move firmly entrenches him as the QB in 2013.

Personally, I viewed this year as a make or break year for him so I would have rather seen what would happen in the upcoming year before extending him. But, all things considered, its a decent gamble considering the potential for having him at a reasonable deal in the event he improves this year.

I wouldn't have advocated for it before the deal was done, but I can't say I hate it when you look at it from every angle.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If the bolded part is true (whether you want it or not), its a great move by the Jets hands down. If there was a real possibility that the Jets would/could move on from Sanchez if he has an unspectacular year this upcoming year, then its questionable as this move firmly entrenches him as the QB in 2013.

Personally, I viewed this year as a make or break year for him so I would have rather seen what would happen in the upcoming year before extending him. But, all things considered, its a decent gamble considering the potential for having him at a reasonable deal in the event he improves this year.

I wouldn't have advocated for it before the deal was done, but I can't say I hate it when you look at it from every angle.
    I think the lack of QB options was a big piece of it also.

The Jets are getting Brees or Manning in 2012, and probably don't see Flynn as any less of a risk than Sanchez, but Flynn would actually cost more and for longer.

in 2013 the FA QBs include Schaub and Flacco, and no one of value. I see Houston signing Schaub to a big deal, Flacco's future is a little cloudier, but if he has a bad season, that puts him in a similar place as Sanchez.

I don't see the Jets drafting Tannenhill with the 16th pick. The Jets looked at the landscape and figured, there's no reason to give up on Sanchez now, considering the options. There's no guy the Jets can get that would be a significant improvement, and they weren't drafting a starter ready QB in the 2012 draft.

Worst case scenario, Sanchez bombs, the Jets have mediocre backup (Garrard, Henne, Campbell, etc) and they go 7-9 and draft a QB in 2013.

All this said, the idea that the Jets are "geniuses" for making this move is a little silly too. After all, they did commit $12.5M in 2013 to a QB that has never had a good regular season, in what will be his 5th season. It's not a move without significant risk/

All League
    I swear this happens every time the Jets pen a big contract. Didn't the same thing happen when we signed Ferguson? Everybody freaked out and thought the Jets just mortgaged their future. Then the facts come out and suddenly the world indeed isn't ending.

It's those pesky facts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Given the circumstances the Jets were under I am OK with this deal. I am not OK with the practices that led to those circumstances.
    Please STFU

Thank you

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... we are very lucky to have mikey t at the top of our football pyramid ...

... he is one of the best GM's in football ...

... anyone who doesn't realize this is foolish, a blind hater, or a fan of another team ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... we are very lucky to have mikey t at the top of our football pyramid ...

... he is one of the best GM's in football ...

... anyone who doesn't realize this is foolish, a blind hater, or a fan of another team ...

l_j_r
    Or all three.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242170

_

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    Mr. T should take a bow for this one. Sanchez gets that $10 million bonus only if he leads Jets to FOUR SUPPER BOWLS in FIVE SEASONS. How could Sanchez's reps let him sign such a nonsense bonus. Can this be right?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
    I'm going to make myself a Supper Bowl tonight - chicken, mash potatoes and gravy. yummm