Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: Woody Johnson speaks...

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    here's my stance, maddbarron ---take notes because it's the same stance I've been at the plate with (sort of like Stan Musial's crouch) for about 4 days now...

    Tim Tebow has been acquired by the Jets for two reasons...first to be the backup quarterback in case of an emergency) In this role he is a BETTER such quarterback than either 42 year old Mark Brunell who did it last season OR Drew Stanton who was briefly signed to do it, That is my opinion...

    second, he was brought here to run a running based change of pace direct snap offense that the Jets ran SUCCESSFULLY when Leon Washington did it and when Brad Smith did it and not so much last season when the combo of Moe, Kerley and Ladainian tried to do it. Tebow should be at least as good in this role as Smith was AND there is no doubt (passing mechanics issues and all which I agree with) that he is a better passer if such a play is called from that offense than either Leon Washington or Brad Smith were.

    So we get a backup quarterback that is superior to Brunell just standing on the sidelines and one who can actually contribute during a game in a formation that the Jets have run for years, probably as well as Leon or Brad did in their tenure with the Jets.


    I hope this once again explains my stance (which is quite uncomfortable as it probably also was for Stan the Man)
    IF thats all Tebow is here for I agree with you.
    BUT
    This current regime likes playing word games and going back on things they've previously said so I doubt the above is the only reason he is here.

    IF he is, fine. He's a likable enough fellow, IF thats his role and HE ACCEPTS IT I'm fine with him tho he does need to show he can throw a bit better.

    BUT by his own words, he will one day rebel against being THAT role. And his freaks will be constantly attacking until he is out of that ROLE and that will cause distractions and issues on this team, divide a fan base and the locker room.

    I am hopeful the role u described for him is it b/c if not. The green and white is screwed.

  2. #62
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron View Post
    IF thats all Tebow is here for I agree with you.
    BUT
    This current regime likes playing word games and going back on things they've previously said so I doubt the above is the only reason he is here.

    IF he is, fine. He's a likable enough fellow, IF thats his role and HE ACCEPTS IT I'm fine with him tho he does need to show he can throw a bit better.

    BUT by his own words, he will one day rebel against being THAT role. And his freaks will be constantly attacking until he is out of that ROLE and that will cause distractions and issues on this team, divide a fan base and the locker room.

    I am hopeful the role u described for him is it b/c if not. The green and white is screwed.
    What word games?

    What the hell are you talking about?

    This is my point with you, you have these BASELESS accusations in all of your posts, but NOTHING to back it up.

  3. #63
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    23,372
    here we go with the "freaks" argument again


    which is IMO code for "I don't like his religion"

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    here we go with the "freaks" argument again


    which is IMO code for "I don't like his religion"
    no, they r freaks. Skip Bayless and those rabid tebow defenders/lovers r freaks.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What word games?

    What the hell are you talking about?

    This is my point with you, you have these BASELESS accusations in all of your posts, but NOTHING to back it up.
    Long as they've been here whenever Rex and Tanny say anything definitively the opposite happens.
    Those word games.

  6. #66
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    23,372
    I respectfully disagree

  7. #67
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron View Post
    IF thats all Tebow is here for I agree with you.
    BUT
    This current regime likes playing word games and going back on things they've previously said so I doubt the above is the only reason he is here.

    IF he is, fine. He's a likable enough fellow, IF thats his role and HE ACCEPTS IT I'm fine with him tho he does need to show he can throw a bit better.

    BUT by his own words, he will one day rebel against being THAT role. And his freaks will be constantly attacking until he is out of that ROLE and that will cause distractions and issues on this team, divide a fan base and the locker room.

    I am hopeful the role u described for him is it b/c if not. The green and white is screwed.
    There are plenty of reasons why the Jets will stick to this plan. For one thing, if the only source of pressure for them to start Tebow is coming from some blowhard Tebow fanatics in the stands, there's no way they'll change course.

    But on top of that, just look at the money. I mean, everyone is saying the Jets did this for the money and publicity (I disagree), but if they play Tebow in 40% of the offensive plays or more, he earns an extra $11 mil. That'd mean he's starting, so where does that leave Sanchez? As a back-up making a boatload of money to hold a clipboard -- and, unlike Tebow, he'd be JUST a back-up, nothing more.

    To me, that makes zero sense. The better passer winds up on the bench, and the Jets end up paying a ton more money for way less value and production. And you lose the benefit of having Tebow as your situational change-up.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The fact that people think the front office of the New York Jets organization is required to tell people straight how they run their organization is laughable.

    New England Patriots
    New York Yankees
    Boston Red Sox

    The list goes on. None of these organizations are "straight" with the fanbase or media.

    Is the CIA required to tell everyone how they conduct their business?
    Of course not. It's the Trolls and the half-brains who don't understand the game of football that continue with the BS and the Mods allowing it.

  9. #69
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron View Post
    Long as they've been here whenever Rex and Tanny say anything definitively the opposite happens.
    Those word games.
    LOL so no word games, no substance, just more of your crap.

    Thanks again.

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,691
    I really think is stupidity.

    The ONLY reason the Jets are choosing to have a press conference is because the guy we traded for has such a mainstream name.

    Tell me, beyond his name what is so special about the acquisition of a backup QB?

    The silver lining I see with this madness is that we'll easily know about dumb, uneducated bandwagon fans. They will be easily identified. The minute people start calling for Tebow, after Sanchez has thrown a pick, we'll know about the idiots we're dealing with.

    Because only someone who doesn't follow the team will be calling for Sanchez's ouster in favor of Tebow. In certain spots will they pull Sanchez in favor of Tebow? Yes, absolutely. That just makes too much sense. But to replace Sanchez with a guy that will often complete only TWO passes during an entire game? That would be the worst kind of stupidity.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL so no word games, no substance, just more of your crap.

    Thanks again.
    How bout u shut up bout me and go be happy? How bout that, I don't hold ur view on the team. That's my right. Shut up and deal with it.

  12. #72
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    262
    I was on the fence with the whole Tebow thing... was hopeful (lying to myself) that the Jets meant what they said and that they were going to support Mark as the starter and truly only use Tebow as a situational player (which could add value to the offense).

    The biggest concern I had was the circus that comes with Tebow and hoped (lying again) that the Jets would do their best to manage this down.

    However now it appears that not only are they not trying to manage the noise they are actually feeding the monster... who gives a crap that the media wants a press conference... we should have downplayed this whole thing and set the tone for how we will deal with it going forward.

    Very disappointed in the way the Jets are handling the media aspect of this whole situation.... clearly they are proving the critics right as to the reason for the trade.

    Last edited by OneTime; 03-26-2012 at 10:02 AM.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    I was on the fence with the whole Tebow thing... was hopeful (lying to myself) that the Jets meant what they said and that they were going to support Mark as the starter and truly only use Tebow as a situational player (which could add value to the offense).

    The biggest concern I had was the circus that comes with Tebow and hoped (lying again) that the Jets would do their best to manage this down.

    However now it appears that not only are they not trying to manage the noise they are actually feeding the monster... who gives a crap that the media wants a press conference... we should have downplayed this whole thing and set the tone for how we will deal with it going forward.

    Very disappointed in the way the Jets are handling the media aspect of this whole situation.... clearly they are proving the critics right as to the reason for the trade.

    Xactly. Why feed the media? Jets should establish new media rules especially after the crap that happened at the end of the season. If the media wants an interview they have two choices, small media room or phone conference.
    This team need to get back to the business of football and not the business of helping sell newspapers or giving bspn topics.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    I was on the fence with the whole Tebow thing... was hopeful (lying to myself) that the Jets meant what they said and that they were going to support Mark as the starter and truly only use Tebow as a situational player (which could add value to the offense).

    The biggest concern I had was the circus that comes with Tebow and hoped (lying again) that the Jets would do their best to manage this down.

    However now it appears that not only are they not trying to manage the noise they are actually feeding the monster... who gives a crap that the media wants a press conference... we should have downplayed this whole thing and set the tone for how we will deal with it going forward.

    Very disappointed in the way the Jets are handling the media aspect of this whole situation.... clearly they are proving the critics right as to the reason for the trade.

    I get your point, but I heard Mangini say something last week that made sense to me and causes me to disagree with you. He said---and this from someone who by his own admission hates any kind of distraction----that the best way to deal with the media hoopla is to embrace it, and not to pretend that it's not happening. He specifically said that a press conference was a better way to go than forcing the media to pull teeth, because that would just drag it out and also would anger the media to no purpose. I don't pretend to agree with everything Mangini says, but I find him pretty level-headed as a commentator, and on this one I agree with him.

    In other words, Tebow is more than just a backup QB in the public's eye, because of his celebrity, and it's pointless to pretend otherwise. But on the football field, he is what his coach says he is.

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    23,372
    Mangini said something other than "It's a Process"

    now there is a back page banner headline for the NY Post!!

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Mangini said something other than "It's a Process"

    now there is a back page banner headline for the NY Post!!
    Well, he actually did say "It's a process", but I spent a summer taking a course in Manginispeak, so I was translating.

  17. #77
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    I get your point, but I heard Mangini say something last week that made sense to me and causes me to disagree with you. He said---and this from someone who by his own admission hates any kind of distraction----that the best way to deal with the media hoopla is to embrace it, and not to pretend that it's not happening. He specifically said that a press conference was a better way to go than forcing the media to pull teeth, because that would just drag it out and also would anger the media to no purpose. I don't pretend to agree with everything Mangini says, but I find him pretty level-headed as a commentator, and on this one I agree with him.

    In other words, Tebow is more than just a backup QB in the public's eye, because of his celebrity, and it's pointless to pretend otherwise. But on the football field, he is what his coach says he is.
    Hadn't heard that but I see the point... let's just hope this is a one and done event... if they continue to treat him like a celebrity going forward this will not lead to harmony on the team or in the locker room.

    As much as I hate him, ignoring the media does seem to work for Bellicheat and the Pats.
    Last edited by OneTime; 03-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.

  18. #78
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,473
    Our Leadership

    Owner=Trust Baby and failed businessman
    GM=Bean Counter who thinks he knows players. Tim Tebow was his idea.
    Coach=Big mouth who puts targets on the backs of his players and is oblivious to whats going on in his own locker room.

    We are still roaming the desert. Maybe another 40 years.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us