Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Ryan Takes Jab at Schottenheimer?

All Pro

Rex Ryan Takes Jab at Schottenheimer?

Rex Ryan was quoted on ESPN as being quoted in the NY Post as saying:

'I used to tell the team the only coordinator that can stop the wildcat with Brad Smith back there, is Schottenheimer. I used to kid Schottenheimer about it'.
    This is a very peculiar comment, the only way I can interpret it is he had so little faith in Schottenheimer's
    schemes (at least the wildcat ones) that they would easily be defended. This is interesting coming out after his departure and replacement with Wildcat Man Sparano. Seems Schotty's 'shortcomings' at wildcat were the main reason he was finally booted, and not all the other horrible playcalling etc. And Sparano really was brought on for more wildcat (needs more wildcat!) and he doesn't really think it's a college gimmick after all.

The link to the show is here

http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/archive?id=6635598

I couldn't find the quote anywhere in the online paper.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Rex Ryan was quoted on ESPN as being quoted in the NY Post as saying:

This is a very peculiar comment, the only way I can interpret it is he had so little faith in Schottenheimer's
    schemes (at least the wildcat ones) that they would easily be defended. This is interesting coming out after his departure and replacement with Wildcat Man Sparano. Seems Schotty's 'shortcomings' at wildcat were the main reason he was finally booted, and not all the other horrible playcalling etc. And Sparano really was brought on for more wildcat (needs more wildcat!) and he doesn't really think it's a college gimmick after all.

The link to the show is here

http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/archive?id=6635598

I couldn't find the quote anywhere in the online paper.
    I think it's meant that brad smith couldn't produce when he wasn't on the field

Banned
    You're reading too much into it.

Basically, he was saying that Schotty could screw up a free lunch.

Veteran
    I think it was Rex butchering the way to say "Schottenheimer didn't like the Wildcat."

Veteran
    why cant REX just keep his mouth shut till he wins something. the jets win the preseason met life bowl, the giants win Lombardi's

Hall Of Fame
    Arma-phucking-geddon if we lose to the Rams this year.

Practice Squad
    Seems Schotty's 'shortcomings' at wildcat were the main reason he was finally booted, and not all the other horrible playcalling etc. And Sparano really was brought on for more wildcat (needs more wildcat!) and he doesn't really think it's a college gimmick after all.
    This is partly true. Did Schotty's ineffectiveness with the Wildcat contribute to him "parting ways" with the Jets? Yes, it played a role, but just because Rex says he joked about this very problem with Schottenheimer doesn't mean that the Wildcat was the main reason for the change. It wasn't. Heck, if his playcalling wasn't so mind-bogglingly terrible most of the time, maybe his use of the Wildcat would've been far more effective.

Rex clearly missed using the Wildcat last season, and Sparano's expertise made the Jets like him even more. But it's not like the Jets knew they could acquire Tim Tebow and bolster their Wildcat attack. Even with Tebow, it's still just a situational weapon for the offense, not their focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I think it was Rex butchering the way to say "Schottenheimer didn't like the Wildcat."
    Right, Shotty could "stop" the wildcat by not calling the play.

Undrafted Free Agent
    When did this board turn into a sewing circle?

He said only Schottenheimer could stop Brad Smith in the wildcat, obviously meaning by not calling a play with Brad Smith running the wildcat. Nothing more, nothing less.

Veteran
    The problem with Schotty is he never learned how to coach. He spent a season as a TE coach and a WR coach -- his only college coaching experience. pretty much thrown into the NFL due to his last name. the only game he knows is the NFL and Martyball. he wants to throw it, but is not creative. You learn that stuff coaching at lower levels and working your way up.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk View Post
    When did this board turn into a sewing circle?

He said only Schottenheimer could stop Brad Smith in the wildcat, obviously meaning by not calling a play with Brad Smith running the wildcat. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I feel dumb now, ha. You guys are totally right, another instance of Rex confidence/bravado, that the only way to stop our Wildcat is if our OC doesn't use it.

I do stand by my statement that Schotty would throw some trick plays out there at very odd times; the offense would be moving along, clicking with Sanchez, and then he'd call a reverse or something and it would fail miserably.

Crossing my fingers that Sparano will know when to stick with what's working and when try something different to change it up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    My liquor cabinet will be well-stocked before that game.

Hall Of Fame
    I can understand the Rex hatred from that scummy yellow journalist pile of toilet paper known as the NY Post

I can't quite understand it at Jets Insider, though. Maybe from the small minority here known as the Joe Benigno 40+ Years of Misery club (Hi bigdannj and ddny) but it seems to be becoming more and more a common opinion.

Sad when we are talking about the Jets Head Coach with the BEST OVERALL winning percentage of any Jet Head Coach in franchise history

better than Weeb

better than the great Tuna

better than Michaels

BEST

GO JETS

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    I feel dumb now, ha. You guys are totally right, another instance of Rex confidence/bravado, that the only way to stop our Wildcat is if our OC doesn't use it.
    But what's the 'I used to kid Schottenheimer about it' part for then? Why would he need to be kidding him? Is he saying that's about the only such play they had?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    My liquor cabinet will be well-stocked before that game.
    I will be eating TUMS like candy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This website would reach out and choke us.

Veteran
    Rex shouldn't take jabs at him now. He should have swung a right hook at him on the sideline like his dad.

Undrafted Free Agent
    But what's the 'I used to kid Schottenheimer about it' part for then? Why would he need to be kidding him? Is he saying that's about the only such play they had?
    He used to kid around with Schottenheimer saying that he was the only one that could stop the wildcat...by not calling it.

Come on now this isn't James Joyce here.

All Pro
    I told you guys that Schotty wasn't the one that brought back the Wildcat in the game against the Redskins. That was all Rex.

The reverses on 1st down after we've already picked up 2 or 3 first downs and the offense is in rhythm...

The empty backfields on 2nd and 3rd & short...

Not using screens and draws to slow down the pass rush...

Not calling tosses and sweeps to the outside...

Sending out 5 receivers when 3 of them are Mulligan, Conner, and Greene...

Running on 70% of our 1st & 10s; Passing on 70% of our 3rd & shorts...

Leaving Hunter on an island...

That was Schitty. That's the stuff that I hope to see eliminated under Sparano.

All League
    With Mulligan scoring the winnng TD....