Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WR in the second round?

Practice Squad

Thumbs up WR in the second round?

With it looking like we will be going OLB/DE with our first round pick, does anyone think we should go after WR in the 2nd? deep WR draft IMO. I know he comes with baggage but im very high on Alshon Jeffrey out of South Carolina. wondering what you guys think

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    I know he comes with baggage

... would be a bad decision to try and store more baggage into the wr compartment ...

l_j_r

All League
    Based on Pettine's interview on Jets Nation, it looks like we may bolster the safety position....Could be a smoke screen though.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    Based on Pettine's interview on Jets Nation, it looks like we may bolster the safety position....Could be a smoke screen though.
    Yup!! With pics that take 2-3 season to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    With it looking like we will be going OLB/DE with our first round pick, does anyone think we should go after WR in the 2nd? deep WR draft IMO. I know he comes with baggage but im very high on Alshon Jeffrey out of South Carolina. wondering what you guys think

Jmo I think Jet fans are going to be very disappointed when they don't address the Wr with there first three picks. I See olb(pass rusher) and safety with there first two picks.( which ever one they address first in draft, they will go to the other position with second pick.

NOw Jets are going to be a team that relies on ground and pound. If that is your philosophy you have to upgrade the Rb position first, before you even think of addressing the Wr position. Good chance they address the Rb position by the third round. ( different type than S Greene)

The Jets aren't going to address the oline with there first three picks either. Reason being they are going to rely on their running game so much that there Guys they have now(hunter and Ducasse), will be fine in that offense.(hunter played very well at Rt when that was the philosophy on offense)

Jets don't need a Wr as they Have Chaz Schilens 6'4 225 and possible Braylon Edwards in that role(stretch the field and be the blockers in the run game)

A Wr of Santonio Holmes , Schilens/Braylon Edwards and Kerley is fine in a run first offense.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-19-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Veteran

the smokescreen is wr talk....

First need are safeties as we have no dependable talent at that position. Second need is ot, Hunter can be a backupas well as Vlad. There will be no blue chips at ot by the time we pick

All League
    SANU?

Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    First need are safeties as we have no dependable talent at that position. Second need is ot, Hunter can be a backupas well as Vlad. There will be no blue chips at ot by the time we pick
    When Jets were a run first team . Wanted to establish the run and throw off the run with the play action pass . How did Hunter do in that offense. Pretty good and Jets re sign him the next year.

Now if the Jets planned to throw the ball more with M Sanchez(put the offense in his hands) than he probably not the Rt your looking for.

That isn't the case as Jets are going back to being a run first team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Jmo I think Jet fans are going to be very disappointed when they don't address the Wr with there first three picks. I See olb(pass rusher) and safety with there first two picks.( which ever one they address first in draft, they will go to the other position with second pick.
    The Jets will go with the BAP, within reason, for their picks. If they are able to nab a pass rusher in the first round, there very likely will not be a safety meeting that criteria at the Jets 2nd round pick. If that's the case, they may very well go WR. There could be real value at #47 at the position. Ditto with OLB if they don't go that way

I agree that they will take a safety at some point, but if its not Mark Barron, he likely won't be starting on day 1 anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The Jets will go with the BAP, within reason, for their picks. If they are able to nab a pass rusher in the first round, there very likely will not be a safety meeting that criteria at the Jets 2nd round pick. If that's the case, they may very well go WR. There could be real value at #47 at the position. Ditto with OLB if they don't go that way

I agree that they will take a safety at some point, but if its not Mark Barron, he likely won't be starting on day 1 anyway.
    I'm not sure about that. Look at the Jets roster right now, there is not a FS on the roster, other than Deangelo Smith. IF the Jets draft a FS this year, there is a high probability he will start. Whether that is a good thing remains to be seen, but most likely the Jets will have a rookie starting at FS.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

I just think Jets will take a RB before they take a WR. That a much higher priority for the Jets next season. There should be some good one that can help them. I understand why Jet fans want the Wr, as they think he could take M Sanchez to the next level. Rex Ryan not worrying about Sanchez, He wants to win and is going to do everything to make sure that running game is top notch.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.

All League
    if they want to run the ball, need a WR who can stretch the field so taking a WR would be smart

hope alshon falls to them in the second, he'll be the most productive wr in this class

All League
    Ideally, I’d like to see the Jets move down, take McClellin in round 1, pick up an extra 3rd rounder.

Draft a mauling O-lineman in round 2 – Maybe Bobby Massie, or Kevin Zeitler…

With the 2- 3rd round picks – pick up a safety – George Iloka, or Brandon Taylor and WR – Juron Criner, or Joe Adams.

That would be a nice haul and address the biggest issues for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Look at the Jets roster right now, there is not a FS on the roster, other than Deangelo Smith. IF the Jets draft a FS this year, there is a high probability he will start. Whether that is a good thing remains to be seen, but most likely the Jets will have a rookie starting at FS.
    Not necessarily, you have to assume a Fs will come available at some point in the NFl, that you think Jets could sign to become their starting Fs. Also Their might be a veteran CB out there who lost a step, that Jets bring in to play Fs next season. There will be options that Jets should have that they don't have to rush a rookie safety into the starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    if they want to run the ball, need a WR who can stretch the field so taking a WR would be smart
    Schilens or Braylon Edwards(if he signed) fill that criteria.(not to mention both are good blockers in the run game. Jets need that RB to fill the Leon Washington role in the running game.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Schilens or Braylon Edwards(if he signed) fill that criteria.(not to mention both are good blockers in the run game. Jets need that RB to fill the Leon Washington role in the running game.
    Too many ifs there. Braylon is not on the team and won't be prior to the draft, so they can't incorporate him into the draft strategy. Schilens and his 18 catches a season aren't scaring anybody off.

Jets have enough holes to go BPA in the first few rounds, so if it is OLB/DE in the first then I'm confident that they'll select a WR in round 2 if a guy they love is there.

Being a run-first team doesn't mean you don't have to pass the ball here and there. We've seen what this offense looks like with only one playmaker at WR and a solid TE - it's not pretty. Jets will be in situations this year where passing is the only option and they need much more firepower than the combination of what they have on the roster plus a day-3 rookie.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    SANU?
    Sanu said yesterday he'd rather play for the Jets than the Giants..I don't see him making it too us in round 2 though

Practice Squad
    Ingram or mcclellin in the 1st1st if latter maybe trade back acquire another pick say 3rd rounder, 2nd rd draft harrisson smith safety from notre dame, then with possible 2 thirds go lt, wr or rb. option 2 trade those 3rds fr a 2nd and draft kendricks mlb out of cal. If we walk away frombthis draft with mcclellin, harrison smith and mychel kendricks i dont see how anyone could possibly bd angry with that. That would provide so much youh and speed to our defense that weve been lacking for a while but im sure u guys would find a way to hate all the picks

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If the Jets don't draft Barron, my money is on Leonhard/Smith to start. I doubt Rex will trust a 5th round rookie to start.

And maybe I'm putting too much stock in this, but I really think (absent Barron being drafted) Leonhard is basically on this team for 12'. And is Leonhard/Landry ideal? No, but if they pick up a mid round safety that gets some time to work his way into the lineup in 13' and beyond, that combo, if healthy, is good enough for this year.

As long as E. Smith is relegated to STs and 3rd down LB/SS hybrid, I'm OK.