Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-draft Conference call

Veteran

Pre-draft Conference call

Anyone else on the pre-draft conference call?

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    Yeah but multi-tasking. Biggest piece of news to possibly come out of this will rival the Colts confirmation of Luck as #1 pick.

Veteran
    BTW- sorry if it was previously posted. I took a quick scan of the board and didn't see anything.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

BTW- sorry if it was previously posted. I took a quick scan of the board and didn't see anything.
    That's fine, but you are now required to give us a blow by blow account of what is said. Please don't miss anything - that will be brought up in your annual review....which is upcoming.

Veteran
    wonder how many times tanny mentioned its a "Process"

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's fine, but you are now required to give us a blow by blow account of what is said. Please don't miss anything - that will be brought up in your annual review....which is upcoming.
    The only thing I've heard of note is inferred. Put this in the Leonard thread already:
    Kind of Sh*tty response from Clinkscales on the pre-draft conference call about re-signing Leonhard. Talked about Landry and existing personnel being able to handle the load at safety. None of the usual rhetoric about still talking to Leonhard, and the door always being open.

All Pro
    all these potentially great OT's in rounds 1 & 2 + DeCastro at G... right thru Masse who might strill be there at pick 47. BUT... from the sound of it on this call, they are sticking to their guns with Wayne Hunter. Tannenbaum stuttering about how good Hunter was in the 2010 playoffs. Could be a huge smokescreen, but I think they are going to pass on OL until those comp picks, despite several fans on the call making it clear that this is an urgent need. Tanny basically blew them off. This has been a very depressing call

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    all these potentially great OT's in rounds 1 & 2 + DeCastro at G... right thru Masse who might strill be there at pick 47. BUT... from the sound of it on this call, they are sticking to their guns with Wayne Hunter. Tannenbaum stuttering about how good Hunter was in the 2010 playoffs. Could be a huge smokescreen, but I think they are going to pass on OL until those comp picks, despite several fans on the call making it clear that this is an urgent need. Tanny basically blew them off. This has been a very depressing call
    If true + comes to fruition, it’s yet another bullet aim at Sanchez.

Veteran
    Okay guys. Here is what I could garb from the call. A little difficult to listen, think/comprehend and write, but here’s what I was able to get in no particular order. If I got something wrong or missed something – feel free to add:
    • Wayne Hunter was inconsistent, but has played well in the past so they feel confident about him in the future. We have 3 guys who made the pro-bowl so we have a strong foundation and a turnaround will happen. The key is consistency from Hunter. They also have three young guys they fell can contribute and add depth to the line.
    • Vlad has raw talent to develop and overcame a lot in life to get to where he is now. They had 9 repots on him before they drafted him. He should have a long pro career. The fact is he’s only had two days of offseason so far in his career. First year rookie and last year was locked out.
    • Best player available is not a given because best player availed is largely defined by scheme. Someone who fits our O or D may not be the best BPO for a different team. That’s why its improtatnt to have a fully vetted draft board.
    • Regard the deepest position in the draft, they believe it’s WR based on the recent success of the WR’s transitioning from college to the pros and their ability to use raw fundamental tools.
    • They don’t feeling they need to upgrade RB because Bial Powell rates very favorably against this year’s draft class. They don’t consider this a top priority and believe he will also benefit from his first full offseason.
    • Regarding Laron Landry and what we’ve seen so far: workouts are voluntary, he’s always in great shape so they don’t feel his impact will be demonstrated in the OTAs. They expect “big things” from him on the field this year.
    • Jim Leonard is a great player and they hope he recovers from his injury. Didn’t commit beyond that.
    • Regarding Trading up in the draft: We’ve have great history and we’ll move if they think they have a real shot at a valuable player. Moves are always dictated by how the draft progresses and where their board stands. Sometimes they’re right on and other times the board completely falls apart.
    • They really like Trent Richardson - he can run and catch. Several teams ahead of us will love him too. Will be a great pick for whoever gets him.
    • Character vs. performers: The locker room drama grabbed headlines that diminished a lot of the positives that guys have done here. They evaluate all players both on and off the field.
    • They have evaluated 1540 players from 265 schools in preparation for next week’s draft.
    • Michael Floyd was heavily evaluated and has a ton of physical talents. They also evaluated him off the field. No commitments to take him whatsoever.
    • LB Upshaw is a physically impressive guy. Again, several teams ahead of us will love him too. But any team would be happy to have him.
    • They like S Martin and would love to have him on the team if he’s around where they have him slotted.

All Pro
    Okay guys. Here is what I could garb from the call. A little difficult to listen, think/comprehend and write, but here’s what I was able to get in no particular order. If I got something wrong or missed something – feel free to add:
    • Wayne Hunter was inconsistent, but has played well in the past so they feel confident about him in the future. We have 3 guys who made the pro-bowl so we have a strong foundation and a turnaround will happen. The key is consistency from Hunter. They also have three young guys they fell can contribute and add depth to the line.
    • Vlad has raw talent to develop and overcame a lot in life to get to where he is now. They had 9 repots on him before they drafted him. He should have a long pro career. The fact is he’s only had two days of offseason so far in his career. First year rookie and last year was locked out.
    • Best player available is not a given because best player availed is largely defined by scheme. Someone who fits our O or D may not be the best BPO for a different team. That’s why its improtatnt to have a fully vetted draft board.
    • Regard the deepest position in the draft, they believe it’s WR based on the recent success of the WR’s transitioning from college to the pros and their ability to use raw fundamental tools.
    • They don’t feeling they need to upgrade RB because Bial Powell rates very favorably against this year’s draft class. They don’t consider this a top priority and believe he will also benefit from his first full offseason.
    • Regarding Laron Landry and what we’ve seen so far: workouts are voluntary, he’s always in great shape so they don’t feel his impact will be demonstrated in the OTAs. They expect “big things” from him on the field this year.
    • Jim Leonard is a great player and they hope he recovers from his injury. Didn’t commit beyond that.
    • Regarding Trading up in the draft: We’ve have great history and we’ll move if they think they have a real shot at a valuable player. Moves are always dictated by how the draft progresses and where their board stands. Sometimes they’re right on and other times the board completely falls apart.
    • They really like Trent Richardson - he can run and catch. Several teams ahead of us will love him too. Will be a great pick for whoever gets him.
    • Character vs. performers: The locker room drama grabbed headlines that diminished a lot of the positives that guys have done here. They evaluate all players both on and off the field.
    • They have evaluated 1540 players from 265 schools in preparation for next week’s draft.
    • Michael Floyd was heavily evaluated and has a ton of physical talents. They also evaluated him off the field. No commitments to take him whatsoever.
    • LB Upshaw is a physically impressive guy. Again, several teams ahead of us will love him too. But any team would be happy to have him.
    • They like S Martin and would love to have him on the team if he’s around where they have him slotted.
    what I got from this is based on who is the QB sanchez or tebow if either gets traded then they will take the bap for that offense.

I also got they think hunter is good enough which means it is on sanchez on why he played poorly not the oline which like i said was ranked 12th.

I also believe they go defense in the first 2 rounds and not necessarily safety in either round.

Sounds like leonard needs to show he is 100 percent injury recovered before they entertain thoughts of bringing him back.

I truly doubt they trade up they realize they need depth and trading away drew was a huge mistake last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    There is no question the Jets will NOT go OL early in the draft. Not only do they believe in Hunter, and SHOULD, but they still expect Ducasse to make a big jump, and still consider him as part of the future at the position with his potential.

The Jets have much bigger holes elsewhere, especially at OLB, WR, S, TE, and depth at TE and LB. I also see them drafting a P and possibly a K too.

Hall Of Fame
    Vlad has raw talent to develop and overcame a lot in life to get to where he is now. They had 9 repots on him before they drafted him. He should have a long pro career. The fact is he’s only had two days of offseason so far in his career. First year rookie and last year was locked out.
    A critical piece of info that far too many fans are ignorant to, and don't consider well enough when thinking or discussing Ducasse.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Thanks man - appreciate the recap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    A critical piece of info that far too many fans are ignorant to, and don't consider well enough when thinking or discussing Ducasse.
    That's not a valid excuse for most as the Jets expended a 2nd round pick on the guy - if what they are saying is indeed the case, you don't give up a pick that high for a guy that you know will likely take 3 years to reach the field. Its not a criticism of the player so much as a criticism of the team and the thought process that was behind the move.

For me, the decision is even more criticism-worthy as the team reached for him because they had already decided that they wanted to get rid of Alan Faneca thereby boxing themselves into a corner and essentially feeling like they "had" to make this pick.

The book ain't fully written on Vlad just yet. But, his two years in the league are fully complete and the results ain't good. We'll see what we get this year....but I'm not holding my breath.

That's not a valid excuse for most as the Jets expended a 2nd round pick on the guy - if what they are saying is indeed the case, you don't give up a pick that high for a guy that you know will likely take 3 years to reach the field.
    Actually if you are the Jets you do. They made it very clear they knew he was a project, which means 2-3 years, but obviously thought the investment was worth it.

So no one should be surprised and time is long gone to dispute the decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Actually if you are the Jets you do. They made it very clear they knew he was a project, which means 2-3 years, but obviously thought the investment was worth it.

he may pan out. but the issue is taking such a project in the 2nd round who isn't a qb. at this point tanny pretty much has to say these things and hope the guy pans out. but even if he does his rep. will forever be tied to sanchez.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post

At the time? Not really. They expected him to step in for Faneca in the short term and either be our long term Guard or Tackle.

And if they truly believed that they were drafting a Guard who was 3 years away from hitting the field, that is a bigger indictment than merely making a bad judgment call on a player which, while bad, happens all the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks man - appreciate the recap.

That's not a valid excuse for most as the Jets expended a 2nd round pick on the guy - if what they are saying is indeed the case, you don't give up a pick that high for a guy that you know will likely take 3 years to reach the field. Its not a criticism of the player so much as a criticism of the team and the thought process that was behind the move.

For me, the decision is even more criticism-worthy as the team reached for him because they had already decided that they wanted to get rid of Alan Faneca thereby boxing themselves into a corner and essentially feeling like they "had" to make this pick.

The book ain't fully written on Vlad just yet. But, his two years in the league are fully complete and the results ain't good. We'll see what we get this year....but I'm not holding my breath.
    Sorry, I just don't agree. Sometimes players are picked because of talent and upside, sometimes players are more raw than others, but are taken early in draft based on upside alone. JPP of the Giants comes to mind. He was considered a reach where taken in the draft the year he was selected, but upside was there.

Same concept applies to Ducausse. And the issue regarding the lock out last year, and how that hurt his development is very much valid, there a many players affected the same last year, that we will start hearing about this year, as they emerge, Vlad COULD be one of those players, the ability and potential is there.

All League
    There is no question the Jets will NOT go OL early in the draft. Not only do they believe in Hunter, and SHOULD, but they still expect Ducasse to make a big jump, and still consider him as part of the future at the position with his potential.

That is just flat out insanity, IMO. Anyone who watched the 2011 Jets saw an OL that not only hurt the development of a 3rd year QB, it also nearly got him killed. The line didn't play well as a whole but Hunter was by far the weak link. If I'm not mistaken, Hunter allowed a sack on the 1st pass play of the season, foreshadowing what was to come. He was an absolute disaster and if he is your starting RT on opening day, this will be another 8-8/7-9 type of season. There is no question in my mind about that.

As for Ducasse, I grant you he deserves another year, but it is rare that a guy can look that out-classed at this level and ultimately recover to be an above average player. I just don't see it.

That said, you're probably right that this is how Tannenbaum thinks. We can only hope he has another job in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    i think it's interesting he thinks powell will make the jump. it's as if he's talking up all his draft picks except for sanchez.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Sorry, I just don't agree. Sometimes players are picked because of talent and upside, sometimes players are more raw than others, but are taken early in draft based on upside alone. JPP of the Giants comes to mind. He was considered a reach where taken in the draft the year he was selected, but upside was there.

Same concept applies to Ducausse. And the issue regarding the lock out last year, and how that hurt his development is very much valid, there a many players affected the same last year, that we will start hearing about this year, as they emerge, Vlad COULD be one of those players, the ability and potential is there.
    And the Giants were open to criticism if that picked tanked. But it didn't. He contributed in his first season - he played in every game, had a bunch of sacks (5 or so, IIRC) and generally showed promise. And in his second year he turned into a legit superstar. Pierre-Paul had the same issue with the lockout - didn't seem to affect him at all, did it?

And DE is a different type of position - you can rotate guys in and out. Oline is pretty much all or nothing. Either you're playing or your not. And its not like he doesn't have the opportunity - he has a chance to replace one of the most maligned lineman in the league in Hunter. If he can do that and play effectively, I'll concede that he's not a bust. But, there's no doubt that there have been two wasted years with him. No matter how you slice it, its not part of any game plan to have a 2nd round Oline pick not start in his first 2 years.