Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets will not comment about Darrelle Revis contract- PFT

Hall Of Fame

Jets will not comment about Darrelle Revis contract- PFT

Jets won’t comment about Darrelle Revis contract
    Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT

ReutersIn September of 2010, just after Darrelle Revis ended his holdout and signed a new four-year contract with the Jets, we noted that another holdout could be coming after the first two seasons of that deal.

Well, now Revis has played the first two seasons of that deal, and the chatter is beginning: Could Revis be planning to hold out again?

Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum was asked today if he’d be willing to do a new deal with Revis, and he refused to answer.

“Darrelle is under contract,” Tannenbaum said. “Darrelle is obviously a really important part of our team, and we look forward to the 2012 season and hopefully accomplishing a lot of great things together.”

When Tannenbaum was asked to clarify whether the Jets would consider renegotiating Revis’s contract, he wouldn’t get into it.

“I said all I’m going to say about his contract,” Tannenbaum said.

Jets coach Rex Ryan was similarly reserved this week when asked whether there had been any talk of a new deal for Revis.

“I think first off, those conversations would be private, if they actually did take place,” Ryan said. “I think any conversations, if that was the case, they’d take place between Mike and football administration. So that’s what I would say about it.”

After Revis ended his holdout in 2010, he said he was happy that he’d make $32.5 million in the first two years of his front-loaded four-year deal, but that the total of $13.5 million he’s set to make in 2012 and 2013 isn’t enough.

“If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we’ll probably be back at that same position we were this year,” Revis said at the time.

Revis has continued to play ball like he usually does. It remains to be seen whether he’ll demand that the Jets pay him accordingly — and if he does, whether the Jets will give in to his demands as they did two years ago.

All Pro
    i want 12' first, 12' second 13' first

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    i want 12' first, 12' second 13' first
    Let's hope it does not come down to that! I am hoping that Revis honors his contract.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It actually be better if Revis does hold out. He would F himself!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Let's hope it does not come down to that! I am hoping that Revis honors his contract.
    well just incase..... thats what should be the min.

All Pro
    Revis Contract

I really miss having Jason as a regular poster here.

All Pro
    I actually would be ok with giving cro the number 1 job revis is damn good but if he is going to be an ass and handicap your team so much you can not bring other players in screw em we should look to see how much we can get for him.

All League
    "Here I go again in my own, goin' down the only road I've ever known...
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone...
    Now I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting' no more time...
    Here I go again..."

Media trying to stir ****... Nuttin to see here...

Hall Of Fame
    LOL.

Even I am getting tired of the Revis contract talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc

All League
    If he even utters the word hold out. Trade his freak'n dumb ass foe picks and move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    If he even utters the word hold out. Trade his freak'n dumb ass foe picks and move on.
    I have to agree with you! A holdout would crush this team's unity and set a poor example for others.

All League
    Revis is going to want one of the biggest non-QB deals ever that could seriously cripple the Jets. 18-20M per. It's up to Tanny to decide if he's worth it or try and deal him for some value.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    I actually would be ok with giving cro the number 1 job revis is damn good but if he is going to be an ass and handicap your team so much you can not bring other players in screw em we should look to see how much we can get for him.
    We don't need Revis, we have Tebow, he makes everyone better. Cro will know all the names of his kids by the end of the season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

What is there to comment on? The Jets control his rights for a long time and there are measures in place to make sure that he does not hold out.

Practice Squad
    I wouldn't trade Revis for anything in this league unless you're a franchise QB.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    What is there to comment on? The Jets control his rights for a long time and there are measures in place to make sure that he does not hold out.
    Revis holds all the cards by virtue of his talent. If he decides he doesn't like his contract next year and wants to get paid more than any other defensive player, and says, "i'm not coming into work until that happens" what options do the Jets have? The Jets desperately need Revis no matter what the contract says. He and his agent know this quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Revis holds all the cards by virtue of his talent. If he decides he doesn't like his contract next year and wants to get paid more than any other defensive player, and says, "i'm not coming into work until that happens" what options do the Jets have? The Jets desperately need Revis no matter what the contract says. He and his agent know this quite well.
    Thats the last thing he would want to do. Jason just had a great write up on revis's contract on his site. If he holds out, he loses the ability to void his contract after 2013 and is signed through 2017 for pretty low amounts. Yes he can just refuse to play but by doing that he would be basically pissing away the prime years of his career and losing out on alot of money.

This really is a non issue. Just a quick glance at the contract shows the jets hold the cards atleast for the next two seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Media trying to stir ****... Nuttin to see here...
    Yep, especially since Revis would be severely penalized if he did try to hold out. I also believe their are clauses that are built into his current contract that could add team options to the deal, thus extending it. I might be wrong, but I thought that a major part of the deal made with Revis was the team protecting themselves against another hold out. I also think that as part of the deal, the Jets can't put the franchise tag on him, but if a holdout did occur, again, there are severe penalties to Revis, AND, I think the Jets then get to use again the franchise tag on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    Thats the last thing he would want to do. Jason just had a great write up on revis's contract on his site. If he holds out, he loses the ability to void his contract after 2013 and is signed through 2017 for pretty low amounts. Yes he can just refuse to play but by doing that he would be basically pissing away the prime years of his career and losing out on alot of money.

This really is a non issue. Just a quick glance at the contract shows the jets hold the cards atleast for the next two seasons.
    Yep, I missed this post, this is what I was referring to above.