Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florio has us taking DeCastro- as a RT

Veteran

Florio has us taking DeCastro- as a RT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nt-richardson/

Florio generally gets things right and says ZERO possibility we trade up for Richardson. He has us taking DeCastro in all likliehood. I love the idea of bringing in DeCastro- but moving him to RT would be a huge mistake. Maybe you give it a few weeks in camp, but otherwise, play him at LG. Just like that, the left side is an elite group- D'Brick will look much, much better, and will Mangold too. Slauson gives us some depth for a change.

We should sign a short term RT- how about our old buddy Kareem McKenzie from the Giants- and draft a developmental type in the third round. De Castro will make the running game HUM- but as a guard. He's athletic, polished, and by all reports has a mean streak a mile wide. But his arms are too short to play RT. Also, bringing in a guy like McKenzie puts Hunter on the bench, again giving us quality depth- and you can't cut him till next year cuz of the cap ramifications. DeCastro is truly a beast, and Sparano will love him. We go wideout or pass rusher in second round.
    Last edited by regen; 04-26-2012 at 01:12 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Decastro is a cant miss prospect, I'd love that pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Picking DeCastro? I'd be okay with that depending on who else was on the board. Moving him to RT? Retarded.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post

Florio generally gets things right and says ZERO possibility we trade up for Richardson. He has us taking DeCastro in all likliehood. I love the idea of bringing in DeCastro- but moving him to RT would be a huge mistake. Maybe you give it a few weeks in camp, but otherwise, play him at LG. Just like that, the left side is an elite group- D'Brick will look much. much better, and will Mangold too. Slauson gives us some depth for a change.

We should sign a short term RT- how about our old buddy Kareem McKenzie from the Giants- and draft a developmental type in the third round. De Castro will make the running game HUM- but as a guard. He's athletic, polished, and by all reports has a mean streak a mile wide. But his arms are too short to play RT. Also, bringing in a guy like McKenzie puts Hunter on the bench, again giving us quality depth- and you can't cut him till next year cuz of the cap ramifications. DeCastro is truly a beast, and Sparano will love him. We go wideout or pass rusher in second round.
    i can understand taking BPA, however Slauson is a good player...and there are going to be minimum 2-3 players at 16 that satisfy a need. the only question in my mind is, does the Jet brass believe there is anyone there worth the 16th pick...and if the answer is yes then you go get floyed, or barron, or ingram, or jones, or even upshaw if you think the guy can get to the QB.

All Pro

Florio generally gets things right and says ZERO possibility we trade up for Richardson. He has us taking DeCastro in all likliehood. I love the idea of bringing in DeCastro- but moving him to RT would be a huge mistake. Maybe you give it a few weeks in camp, but otherwise, play him at LG. Just like that, the left side is an elite group- D'Brick will look much. much better, and will Mangold too. Slauson gives us some depth for a change.

Really?

Practice Squad
    Melvin Ingram
    Harrison Smith

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

DeCastro would be brilliant. Hall of Famer! Easy way to hit it out of the park in the first round.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Really?
    Yes. Really.

Hall Of Fame
    You could trade Moore for another draft pick and get a RT and have DeCastro play RG.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You could trade Moore for another draft pick and get a RT and have DeCastro play RG.
    or do that but move slauson to RG and plug DeCastro on the left side.

And trading Moore makes sense from a cap perspective for FWIW.

Practice Squad
    I honestly would love this pick. It's not the sexy pick we all are used too but this is a player that can help us immediately. We can plug him at RT for a season or two until we find his perfect replacement.

The thing that worries me is I'm against putting players in new positions in the league. I like him, but I would want him to be a Guard.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 51JetsFanInPA View Post
    Melvin Ingram
    Harrison Smith
    If Ingram's there, sure. But he won't fall that far. No way.

I watched a lot of Notre Dame football and Harrison Smith only looked good because he played in an awful secondary. There are much better safety projects down in the later rounds. In no particular order:

1)George Iloka, Boisie State- great size and range.
    2)Brandon Taylor, LSU- undersized but a real hitter- poor man's Bob Sanders
    3)Markelle Martin- Oklahoma State- overlooked because they were in so many shoot-outs.
    4)Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt. Played CB but has room to grow into a great ball-hawking FS. Exactly the kind of guy we need when we play TE heavy teams like, oh, the Patriots.

Most of these guys will fall into the 3-5 rounds. We need a RT prosepct in the second round, someone talented to groom.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Picking DeCastro? I'd be okay with that depending on who else was on the board. Moving him to RT? Retarded.
    +1. You dont move the best gaurd prospect since Faneca/Hutchinson to tackle. So dumb

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    +1. You dont move the best gaurd prospect since Faneca/Hutchinson to tackle. So dumb
    +1. Particularly when the most often heard negative feedback about DeCastro is "Short Arms." Not what you want in a tackle.

All Pro
    I'd be very happy with DeCastro, but I'd want him as a guard as well.

That said, Kareem McKenzie is finished -- not sure he's even an upgrade over Wayne Hunter at this point.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I'd be very happy with DeCastro, but I'd want him as a guard as well.

That said, Kareem McKenzie is finished -- not sure he's even an upgrade over Wayne Hunter at this point.
    I think he's still got a decent year left in him. Still durable, managed to anchor the Giants line last year through the SB. I'd only give him a one year deal with vesting-options for a second. And my dead great-aunt would be an upgrade over Wayne Hunter. The guy's a turnstile.

All League
    CAPTAIN OBVIOUS:

We need to do a better job of converting on 3rd downs, and stopping our opponent from doing the same. If DeCastro keeps the chains moving, he's worth it. If Ingram can help disrupt on 3rd downs, he's worth it.

Would I like the next Dwight Freeney/Calvin Johnson/Adrian Peterson? Sure. But I just don't think we're as far away as others do, and if we can just get someone solid (which DeCastro certainly seems to be), then I'm not gonna stress what "coulda been" if we'd gone with ____________ instead . . .

All Pro
    I think he's still got a decent year left in him. Still durable, managed to anchor the Giants line last year through the SB. I'd only give him a one year deal with vesting-options for a second. And my dead great-aunt would be an upgrade over Wayne Hunter. The guy's a turnstile.
    Pretty much all advanced metrics had McKenzie as one of the worst lineman in the league, and any Giants fan you talk to will tell you he was the weakness of the offense. I'll pass.

All Pro
    Lmao Florio is usually right?? That's news to me.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i can understand taking BPA, however Slauson is a good player...and there are going to be minimum 2-3 players at 16 that satisfy a need. the only question in my mind is, does the Jet brass believe there is anyone there worth the 16th pick...and if the answer is yes then you go get floyed, or barron, or ingram, or jones, or even upshaw if you think the guy can get to the QB.
    Slauson played RT for two years in college. WE could move him there, at least short term.