Hall Of Fame

Arrow WR Stephen Hill & Broncos wr Demaryius Thomas ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Here it is.

Broncos WR helping Jets rookie make transition from Ga. Tech to pros

By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Last Updated: 4:02 AM, May 27, 2012
    Posted: 12:21 AM, May 27, 2012

When the Jets drafted Stephen Hill in the second round last month, the speedy wide receiver received a text message from Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas.

“Congratulations, it ain’t going to be easy,” it read.

Thomas should know. Two years ago, he was a rookie coming out of Georgia Tech and faced the same challenges his former college teammate does now. Hill is in the process of adapting from the Yellow Jackets’ triple-option offense to an NFL playbook and facing NFL defensive coverages.

“It was kind of tough because being in the triple-option, you’re in two receivers most of the time,” Thomas said recently in a phone interview. “We didn’t have many routes to go over or combinations of routes. When I first got here and saw the playbook, it was kind of tough because you had all sorts of things thrown your way. You’ve got to get used to audibles. We never did audibles in college.”

Thomas and Hill spent a year together at Georgia Tech. When Thomas was drafted in the first round by the Broncos in 2010, Hill became his replacement as the go-to guy for the Yellow Jackets. The two remain close and have spoken several times since the draft.

“He’s like my little brother,” Thomas said.

Hill said Thomas and Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, another Georgia Tech alum, have served as mentors to him. Johnson did not play in Paul Johnson’s triple-option attack, though. Thomas has experienced the transition Hill is now going through.

The biggest challenge for Hill will be adjusting to NFL coverages. In college, teams would load eight men in the box to stop the Yellow Jackets’ rushing attack. Now he will see zone looks that are completely different.

“[He said] just make sure you stay in the playbook,” Hill said. “We actually have coverages in the playbook to make sure we know what’s going on. He told me to ask questions of guys in the locker room because you’ve got to find answers.”

Hill has listened. He said he spends an average of 12 hours a day studying his playbook.

One interesting link between Thomas and Hill is quarterback Tim Tebow. The Broncos selected Tebow three picks after taking Thomas in 2010. The two connected on the game-winning touchdown in Denver’s wild-card victory over the Steelers last season. Now, Hill is catching passes from Tebow.

Thomas said when Tebow ran the Broncos’ offense last season, the defensive looks were closer to what he saw in college, as teams loaded up to stop the run. Hill could benefit from times when Tebow is in the game for the Jets.

Hill possesses tremendous vertical speed. He showed that last week during an organized team activity that was open to the media when he chased down a long pass from Mark Sanchez.

“He’s a great player,” Sanchez said. “He’s always got a smile. He’s one of those guys who loves coming in the building, and loves to learn. He’s a big, strong, fast kid. He’s a sponge, which is exactly what you want from a young guy like that. He’s willing to do whatever [receivers] coach Sanjay Lal asks him, and that’s the kind of attitude we want. As of now, it’s a great pick up for us and we’re excited about him.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

I am very optimistic about this kid. Can't help but get a good feeling with everything you hear about him. Great attitude. But the best part about him is that he actually has all the tools.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-27-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Waterboy
    12 hrs a day..

**** yes 12 hours boy get it

Hall Of Fame
    this kid is going to be great in the new Jet Sparano-Sanchez vertical offense

hopefully having five receivers all running the same 4 yard hook pattern on third and nine will now only be a staple of the Ram offense

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    hopefully having five receivers all running the same 4 yard hook pattern on third and nine will now only be a staple of the Ram offense
    You exaggerate. But this is a common unjustified critique of Schotty.

The play is called "sticks". Every team has it in their playbook. All WRs run a route to the sticks and turn around. It is up to the QB to read the defense and find the open WR if there is one. Usually there is. The idea is to get a cheap 1st down on 3rd and medium plays.

n that famous play against the Pats, that was or is someone's sig, the Pats knew it was coming, adjusted and all defenders sat at the sticks. Usually there is a soft spot somewhere across the length of the field at the sticks and it is up to the QB and receiver to find it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You exaggerate. But this is a common unjustified critique of Schotty.

The play is called "sticks". Every team has it in their playbook. All WRs run a route to the sticks and turn around. It is up to the QB to read the defense and find the open WR if there is one. Usually there is. The idea is to get a cheap 1st down on 3rd and medium plays.

n that famous play against the Pats, that was or is someone's sig, the Pats knew it was coming, adjusted and all defenders sat at the sticks. Usually there is a soft spot somewhere across the length of the field at the sticks and it is up to the QB and receiver to find it.

Yeah, not sure why we didn't fire Rex and hire Schotty as our head coach.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Hill has listened. He said he spends an average of 12 hours a day studying his playbook.
    Goddamn I love this kid already, we're lucky he was there in the second round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I agree. I just hope the kid is just as impressive during the regular season as he has been in the offseason.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree. I just hope the kid is just as impressive during the regular season as he has been in the offseason.

+1

All League
    Great pickup by the Jets.

I think he may spend up to 12 hours a day on the playbook AND working out etc.

His deep speed is what the Jets O has lacked and missing sorely since BE left town

Like I said before Hill is going to help Tebow more this year than Sanchez. Also watching the Dolphins I never saw this vertical Sparano game calling.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yeah, not sure why we didn't fire Rex and hire Schotty as our head coach.
    Im all for killing Schotty. He was awful, but lets kill him on things that he deserved to criticized for.

What happens if Sam Bradford is a beast this year and we lose to the Rams?

Would it be in spite of Schotty or b.c of Schotty?

What happens if it turns out that it wasn't Schotty?

Or are we in denial of the possibility?

Im all for killing Schotty. He was awful, but lets kill him on things that he deserved to criticized for.

Well we're going to start getting answers to those questions in a few months

Veteran
    12 hours is clearly an exaggeration, but glad he's putting in the work!

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan's Revenge View Post
    12 hrs a day..
    Could you imagine "catching" Tebow for 12 hours?

I am sure that you do.

Veteran
    Schottys most obvious problem was mind boggling play calling. His biggest problem was not playing to his players strengths. Sparano will play to his players strengths, proof is in switching to a wildcat when his RBs were better than his passing game. The only question may be with his play calling.

All League

Regardless, The issue is as a coach the entire team lost all faith in Sh!tty's ability as a coach and play calling. The players were not responding to this a$$clown. Look back at hardknocks. He comes in for some bs staged rant and zero response. This guy had been handed a career due to his fathers efforts. Every player who left his system has blown up.
    Stop thinking about if we do this or if we loose this or if it wasn't for that. The team has moved on, so should we.
    Six years of the worst most predictable play calling is at an end. We should rejoice.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    It has been over a decade since I was this excited about a Jets draft pick. Watching his films, seeing and hearing his work ethic and demeanor... I have no doubt he will be a great contributor through the years.

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ Is Jets rookie receiver Stephen Hill ready ?

The Jets cannot afford to wait a year or two for Hill, their second-round pick, to develop and get up to speed on the NFL game. They need him to make big strides right now. Hill didnít play in a pass-heavy offense in college. But he did show big-play ability. That is exactly what the Jets need to help quarterback Mark Sanchez and complement No. 1 receiver Santonio Holmes. Hill has the physical tools to be successful. He just has to get up to speed.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...east-questions