Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Looking Into Buying a Bike

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Bump! Looking for updates on Jetworks reviews of his new bike and asking for any other input; Am handing off my Specialized Mountain bike to the sopne...my only complaint about that bike was that it was pretty unforgiving on rough patches (ouch)... And the standard handle bars were a bit low for me and rough on the back.

I could prolly go a grand, but would prefer 600 range.

I thought you bumped this because of the 'you look european' comment - is it in this thread?
    If I'm correct, I'm sorely in need of a life.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I thought you bumped this because of the 'you look european' comment - is it in this thread?
    If Im correct, I'm sorely in need of a life.
    Lol, it could be...totally coincidental if it was. I actually did bump it because I saw his bike in the basement photo's and have been giving sidelong glances to the local bike dealer when I pass...instead of sidelong glances at every breathing chick over 16 that I pass.

All Pro
    Lol, it could be...totally coincidental if it was. I actually did bump it because I saw his bike in the basement photo's and have been giving sidelong glances to the local bike dealer when I pass...instead of sidelong glances at every breathing chick over 16 that I pass.
    600 dollars should buy you a decent bike - to begin with.

All Pro
    Bump! Looking for updates on Jetworks reviews of his new bike and asking for any other input; Am handing off my Specialized Mountain bike to the sopne...my only complaint about that bike was that it was pretty unforgiving on rough patches (ouch)... And the standard handle bars were a bit low for me and rough on the back.

I could prolly go a grand, but would prefer 600 range.
    First off, you have to determine what type of riding you will be doing. By that I mean, what is the percentage of you riding on road vs trails vs gravel vs dirt etc? If the majority of your riding will be on relatively smooth surfaces, you'll want a road bike or a hybrid with road tires.

Don't be scared off on going with a road bike due to back, either. Every brand has a model that has what is commonly referred to as a "relaxed geometry". But, you can also go with flat handlebars on a roadie or a hybrid. Avoid anything with shocks if you will be on the streets as well. I would also recommend you go with an aluminum frame as it will be a bit more forgiving to any rough patches and your wallet.

Also, any bike shop worth its salt will do at least a basic fitting for free with the purchase of a bike. That will ensure your saddle height and position as well as handlebar stem are properly aligned. Before they even do that, part of the fitting should be them helping you get the right size in the model you choose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    If I'm correct, I'm sorely in need of a life.
    Pretty sure it was in a thread about my becoming a nursing assistant.

Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    600 dollars should buy you a decent bike - to begin with.
    Peebag's right, you have to account for things like a helmet, saddle bag, pump, water bottle and some kind of cycling clothing (it's worth it, your butt will thank you).

All Pro
    Also for the first bike - check out Craigslist - you should be able to find a decent bike fairly cheap - ride it for a while then you'll figure out what you really want in a bike