Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wes Welker: He won't have to "endure" Bill Belichick anymore

JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Wes Welker: He won't have to "endure" Bill Belichick anymore

Wes Welker isn’t with the Patriots anymore, yet he still has his former coach Bill Belichick on his mind.

“When I’m answering questions from the Denver media, I’m not worried about what the Broncos’ people are going to think,” Welker said in a story in Sports Illustrated (via the Boston Globe). “I’m worried about what Belichick will think. Isn’t that crazy?”

Yes, as a matter of fact it is. Hey Wes, don’t worry, Bill is on the other side of the country. You sound like a bullied teenager right now.

How did it get to this point?

Welker, expected to be a main cog in the Broncos’ offense this season, went through a bitter separation from the Patriots this offseason. This is despite putting up record numbers during his six years in New England. But while he was racking up big stats, things weren’t going so great behind the scenes. In fact, Belichick began riding him hard, including tearing him down in front of the team.

“It was just kind of hard,” Welker said. “One of those deals where you have to endure him, put up with him … But he does it to everybody, it’s the way he is.”

But his memories of New England aren’t all bad. He will definitely miss working with Tom Brady among other teammates.

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/we...chick-anymore/
    Last edited by Jordy; 08-08-2013 at 09:12 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Here's another article on the same subject matter:

Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker told Sports Illustrated that Bill Belichick was hard on him toward the end of his six-year run in New England, chiding him in front of teammates in a way the coach hadn't done previously.

"It was just kind of hard," Welker told the magazine in a story that appears in this week's edition, "one of those deals where you have to endure him, put up with him. ... But he does it to everybody. It's the way he is."

Welker's tenure in New England was already marked by its messy conclusion during the offseason, when the free-agent receiver joined the Broncos in a surprise move that resulted in a public squabble between Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Welker's reps.

"There were only two places I was going to play [Denver and New England], in my mind," Welker told SI.

"You always think you're one of those players who will be in one place the whole time, one of those guys they'll never let leave because you play hurt, do what it takes," he said. "But it's a different age. A lot of coaches, they like having younger guys. This game's so tough on you, it's all about, 'How many more hits can you take?' So they buy low, sell high. It's a numbers game."

Belichick disciplined Welker in early 2011, benching him for the first series of a playoff game against the New York Jets after the receiver made foot-related comments in a subtle dig at Jets coach Rex Ryan. Welker later said he regretted his comments.

Earlier this summer, Welker said he felt like he could be himself more with the Broncos than he did in New England, where Belichick instructs his players to say little to the media. Still, Welker acknowledged that even now in Denver he still thinks about his former coach when talking to reporters.

"When I'm answering questions from the Denver media, I'm not worried about what the Broncos' people are going to think," Welker told SI. "I'm worried about what Belichick will think. Isn't that crazy?"

Welker was the most productive receiver in the NFL while with the Patriots, surpassing 110 receptions and 1,100 yards in five of his six seasons there.

He told SI he still is adjusting to the Peyton Manning-led offense with the Broncos.

"In New England, if the middle of the field was closed, I'd run a seam route," he said. "It's something I've been doing for six years now, so I have to teach my brain to do it the way he's [Manning] expecting me to do it."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...iots-teammates
    Last edited by Jordy; 08-08-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    **** the whole lot of them.

All League
    I still hate the little fokker. just not as much.

All League
    coaches shouldn't yell at players. They should tattoo get tattoos instead.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Someone should have yelled at you.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Instead of stomping him?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Maybe he talks like Yosemite Sam?

Hall Of Fame
    End justifies the means, who cares about how Wes Welker or any one player feels...he would be a nobody if he was still in Miami.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Maybe he talks like Yosemite Sam?
    after re-reading what I wrote, I think it's more of a Foghorn Leghorn sentence.

All League
    No hate for Welker. Tough player. The problem for the pats wil be that Amendola is soft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    after re-reading what I wrote, I think it's more of a Foghorn Leghorn sentence.

LOL. Yes him too. They were both done by Mel Blanc.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Players nowadays are too soft. You have to respect Belichick's old school mentality in that regard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Players nowadays are too soft. You have to respect Belichick's old school mentality in that regard.
    Unless Rex did it and then the whiners would hate it.. Why did BB stick with Bledsoe in his 2000 5-11 season when he had Brady and 2 other QB's on the bench?? Maybe BB thought Bledsoe gave him the best chance to win?? Nah..

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    End justifies the means, who cares about how Wes Welker or any one player feels...he would be a nobody if he was still in Miami.
    You are so right. Just another ungrateful pr**k, like TIki Barber was with Coughlin, criticizing a coach who saved his career. Every time Welker cashes a Broncos check, he should text Bellichik and thank him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    You are so right. Just another ungrateful pr**k, like TIki Barber was with Coughlin, criticizing a coach who saved his career. Every time Welker cashes a Broncos check, he should text Bellichik and thank him.
    I think he has Brady to thank more.

Yes, BB created the recipe but Brady was the 5 star chef (with help from the video team of course) who made it work.

Can't wait to see how this pans out. Who will miss the other more, Brady or Welker. You can't deny the huge jump in Brady's numbers since Welker joined the team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Wwwwwaaaahhhhhhh.....BB chided me.

he also made your career you little pass dropping twerp.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Makes you hope there was a little personal animosity there clouding BB's judgement regarding letting Welker go

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Wwwwwaaaahhhhhhh.....BB chided me.

he also made your career you little pass dropping twerp.
    Yup that BB sure does throw a nice spiral.