Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll take the win but...

Hall Of Fame

I'll take the win but...

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that this defense still cannot get off the field in crunch time at the end of a game? The pattern during Rex's entire career here is that the defense will generally play well. At times even dominating opponents but if the other team needs to go 50 yards or even 80 yards with less than two minutes remaining in the game that this defense is a stone cold mortal lock to give up those yards regardless of whatever else it has been doing on that day.

I don't know if we are playing too soft or too aggressive or if it is just part of our team psyche to drive a dagger through Jets fans collective hearts but the pattern is very consistent.

The win was good. Obviously we got lucky at the end but I thought overall we were pretty comfortably the better team today. The Bucs may end up proving themselves to be a pretty good team and then this result will look even better for us. Defense looks really good (except as noted above) and Geno had a heck of a first game but C'mon Rex. The defense needs to understand how to close the deal or we are going nowhere.

All League
    defense gave up like 250 yds....shut down a great rb......i get where ur coming from.....but no defense is the least of my worries.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No

I loved the win. Typically the Jets break your heart, yesterday was amazing at end. I take the lucky break. Plus amazing weather.

Come one now!!! Look how nice the field looked yesterday!! Stands crowded, perfect weather and early game great for the family

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that this defense still cannot get off the field in crunch time at the end of a game? The pattern during Rex's entire career here is that the defense will generally play well. At times even dominating opponents but if the other team needs to go 50 yards or even 80 yards with less than two minutes remaining in the game that this defense is a stone cold mortal lock to give up those yards regardless of whatever else it has been doing on that day.

I don't know if we are playing too soft or too aggressive or if it is just part of our team psyche to drive a dagger through Jets fans collective hearts but the pattern is very consistent.

The win was good. Obviously we got lucky at the end but I thought overall we were pretty comfortably the better team today. The Bucs may end up proving themselves to be a pretty good team and then this result will look even better for us. Defense looks really good (except as noted above) and Geno had a heck of a first game but C'mon Rex. The defense needs to understand how to close the deal or we are going nowhere.
    I get your point...frustrating that a team walks down the field on us and REX MUST address this. BUT, yesterday, out D looked as good as any JETS defense since REX was here. Cro could have been better but all in all, solid D.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post

Our offense sustaining drives will help the defense out a ton. The D was lights out yesterday shutting down Doug Martin and were clearly gassed on that last drive because yet again they were on the field way too long. My only two critiques are: 1) Cro's play and 2) Rex calls the overload blitz too much on 3rd and long....

All League
    they stopped them and gave the ball back to the offense. all the O needed was 2 1st downs they couldn't get it then D was back on field and gave up the go ahead drive. O needs to step it up cant always leave it to the D to make multiple stops

All Pro
    The defense really shut down the running game but from what I can see we still have no speed at the LB position and until Dee get up to speed we are suspect in the secondary. Landry surprised me and really played well at SS but we still have an issue with covering the middle of the field.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    they stopped them and gave the ball back to the offense. all the O needed was 2 1st downs they couldn't get it then D was back on field and gave up the go ahead drive. O needs to step it up cant always leave it to the D to make multiple stops
    This too!

The D held them and gave the ball back to the offense. It's the O's job to move the ball/score to seal the game. The D in all actuality had no business being back on the field....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    +1

We definitely need more production from the Offense. We plain out got F'g lucky yesterday and anyone looking at it as anything but a dumb luck win is fooling themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    The defense really shut down the running game but from what I can see we still have no speed at the LB position and until Dee get up to speed we are suspect in the secondary. Landry surprised me and really played well at SS but we still have an issue with covering the middle of the field.
    Um didn't Davis catch a wide receiver from behind to make a game saving tackle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hall Of Fame
    It happens. I know it seems like an unusual amount of times, but truth be told it probably isn't. There are plenty of times were we have gotten the stop, those moments just aren't as memorable.

All League
    the weakness of the defense is clearly the secondary.
    Cro and Milliner need to play more jam press coverage with the improved pass rush up front. Milliner and Kyle Wilson still need to learn to play the ball, not the receiver.

All League
    Our defense stopped the Bucs on their second to last drive. Jets got the ball back at about the 50 and just needed to get 1 first down to really put the game away. If Geno gets a first down in that spot we are talking about how the Jets defense DID get the job done in a big spot.

Lets also remember that we were missing Coples, starting 3 new people in our secondary (including a rookie and virtually no rookie CB plays great out of the box). And we were playing a new LB, rookie DL and still only gave up 17 points.

The defense will be the least of our concerns this year.

Veteran
    This has happened now enough times that it's alarming for sure. Tebow and the Chad Henne-Marino night immediately come to mind.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    This has happened now enough times that it's alarming for sure. Tebow and the Chad Henne-Marino night immediately come to mind.
    It is so common that it has become almost a lock that we will give up that big final drive. The defense overall did it's job yesterday, as they have pretty much done their job over the entire course of Rex's tenure here. Defense has been carrying the offense I get it. You cannot put it all on the defense... the offense needs to help out the defense a little... and so on and so forth. I get all of those things and yet we are faced with the reality that a defense which may have been dominating the opponent all day long, often for 58+ minutes will

give
    up
    the
    game-losing
    drive
    in
    the
    last
    two
    minutes
    every
    time.

It is pretty weird actually.

one negative- Chris Ivory- hands of stone.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I get your point...frustrating that a team walks down the field on us and REX MUST address this. BUT, yesterday, out D looked as good as any JETS defense since REX was here. Cro could have been better but all in all, solid D.
    Of course, its only the first game. Some real positives re: stopping the run and the play

of our Nose Tackles, and front 7. DeMario is a big improvement with his speed over the former Bart Scott. Dee Miliner has got to turn his head more , hopefully they can coach
    him up. Some negatives-- why wasn't Cromartie shadowing Vince Jackson more..?
    And Chris Ivory better get it together... or he will be an expensive second teamer for us.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    Of course, its only the first game. Some real positives re: stopping the run and the play

of our Nose Tackles, and front 7. DeMario is a big improvement with his speed over the former Bart Scott. Dee Miliner has got to turn his head more , hopefully they can coach
    him up. Some negatives-- why wasn't Cromartie shadowing Vince Jackson more..?
    And Chris Ivory better get it together... or he will be an expensive second teamer for us.
    Yep. Biggest problem I saw was giving Jackson and Williams a lot of room off the line resulting in several first downs on 3rd and longs early. I know VJax is a beast but we gotta do something better next time.

Hall Of Fame
    Remember that could have easily been a TD for the Bucs on that last drive. But Davis made the tackle and the D held. If they had scored a TD, it would have been sayonara for sure

JetsInsider.com Legend
    There's been a ton of turnover on this team, on both offense and defense.

You can't expect them to look completely cohesive right out of the gate.

It's going to take time for both sides to gell.