Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St John's basketball....

All League
    Couldn't make plays down the stretch. But they are a very dangerous team.

Just got back from the game, God I hate Pennsyltucky.
    Any how SJU was pathetic shooting, I would be surprised if they shot 30% from the floor.
    Too bad we really needed this one.
    I didn't think we could win at Nova but the Defense played well enough to win.
    Sound like a SOJF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Pro
    5 more wins makes them a lock for the tournament, anything less and I don't think they get in, unless they get a BE tournament win against Creighton or Villanova.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

All League
    Frustrating loss

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think if they advance to the BE semi-finals, they get in. The committee rewards the hot teams entering March.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I think if they advance to the BE semi-finals, they get in. The committee rewards the hot teams entering March.
    The Big East is a below average league this year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    What do you mean by "average"? Most projections have them about equal (slightly above or below) with the ACC and Pac 10, below the Big 10 and Big 12. If you mean below what they were in the past, then... of course, they lost Syracuse, UConn, and Louisville (among others). But if you mean that they are below your average mid-major, then, no... not even close.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    What do you mean by "average"? Most projections have them about equal (slightly above or below) with the ACC and Pac 10, below the Big 10 and Big 12. If you mean below what they were in the past, then... of course, they lost Syracuse, UConn, and Louisville (among others). But if you mean that they are below your average mid-major, then, no... not even close.
    FWIW, ESPN Bracketology has them in the field, albeit via play-in-game for an 11 seed.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

All Pro
    Simply put. If St. Johns loses tonight, I don't see how they make the tournament, without winning the Big East tournament.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Simply put. If St. Johns loses tonight, I don't see how they make the tournament, without winning the Big East tournament.
    Well, you never know, but suffice to say, if they win the last 3 regular season games, and win the quarterfinal game in the tourny, they are a lock to make the NCAAs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Well, you never know, but suffice to say, if they win the last 3 regular season games, and win the quarterfinal game in the tourny, they are a lock to make the NCAAs.
    I'm not sure. Depends on which mid-majors who lock up a spot lose in their tournament. If they win their last 3 games, they will not be playing Villanova or Creighton in the Quarters. This means that they will finish the season 22-11, with 1 win against a team with a RPI in the top 50.

That's right on the bubble, it could go either way. Also, If a team other than Creighton, Villanova, or Xavier wins the BE tournament (obviously, also not St. Johns), then they will be out, too, with Georgetown falling apart late in the season, the only other BE team with a realistic at-large spot is Providence. If Providence wins out (including a 2nd win over Creighton), then Providence could jump St. Johns for the 4th Big East spot.

FYI: Rysheed Jordan may not play tonight. Apparently a "close female relative" was killed by her husband in a murder/suicide over the weekend. Just horrible for a 19 year old to deal with.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/col...ss-xavier-game
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 02-25-2014 at 12:48 PM.

All Pro
    They are a young team, so I wouldn't be surprised to see very inconsistent play early on, some upset wins coupled with bad losses, and settle down as the season goes on. Ultimately, I see about 17-18 wins and a NIT bid, with a little luck they'll get most of the team back next year and make a real run. I'd love for them to make some noise and raise up their visibility in the NYC market.
    Other than having a complete brain fart when it comes to the number of wins, this is roughly how I thought the season would go for St. Johns, I thought they'd play a little better in the Big East early on (naturally no one thought they would start 0-5). But they are a young team. They need to beat Xavier tonight (and beat Marquette and DePaul). They have the talent to make a run, both in the Big East and in the NCAA tournament, but it might be a case of too little too late.

Their inability to win close games early in the season (Syracuse, Penn St, Depaul, Providence) put them in a very deep hole, needing to close 12-2 (or 14-3) to have a chance to make the tournament is a lot to ask of a young team (Only one senior with more than 500 minutes, the only other senior has 245 minutes this season). Does anyone know if Harrison is thinking about declaring for the NBA draft? I can't imagine Rysheed Jordan would.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

As for the tourny, I could be wrong on this, but I feel St John's will get the benefit of the doubt in the selection process. Lavin is sympathetic (who would have thought?) and St John's is an old guard team that has not danced in a while. I feel they get the all things being close to equal advantage with all of those intangibles.

Hall Of Fame
    The Big East is def below what we are all used to when it comes to BE basketball. The ACC is down and the PAC-10 would be way down if it wasn't for Arizona and UCLA. You know the Big East is down when Nova is dominant but gets blown out by Creighton twice.

I hope the Johnnies get it in.

All Pro
    Ouch

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The Johnnies seemed a little flat last night.

They were very lucky to best a bad DePaul team yesterday.
    I couldn't believe they almost blew a 22 point lead.
    Hopefully Jordan is back for Marquette.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea319now314 View Post
    They were very lucky to best a bad DePaul team yesterday.
    I couldn't believe they almost blew a 22 point lead.
    Hopefully Jordan is back for Marquette.

Like I said before, they will not make the tournament without another win over a top 50 team. They need to win on Sunday and win 2 games in the Big East Tourament, I think one of those wins has to be over Creighton or Villanova (I'm not sure if a win over Xavier is enough). 21-12 with only one win against a top 50 team will not be enough to make the tournament this year

Blowing a 6 point lead with 11 seconds to go is very
    Jets- esqe.

All League
    Go Johnnies ! 20 wins heading into Big east Tournament.