Thread: Free Agents that could help

Practice Squad

Free Agents that could help

Qb:

1. Jay Cutler: Can he handle NY? Skills are there but is he a Jeff George? Great arm but doesn't win the big game

2. Josh McNown: I'm intrigued by him. Maybe a Rich Gannon or Kurt Warner. Late bloomer. Could probably get him at an affordable price and could be a nice bridge if or when we can draft a qb.

3. Michael Vick: Great athlete. Getting older and concussions and injuries scare you. He'd be better than what we have but not much better.

4. Matt Flynn: Maybe I'm buying into a guy that can only play in Green Bay. Maybe it's the offensive scheme or the weapons they have but he does intrigue. Three other teams have very quickly moved on from him and that scares me.

Rb:I like what we have and feel that we could get someone in the draft an ufa or someone else along the way. Just don't see up spending here.

WR:

1. Doug Baldwin: Restricted so don't want to give anything up but is a nice player.

2. Anquan Boldin: Little old and probably too much money but he is a gamer and would help. We need to get younger and faster but as a veteran I can deal with him.

3. Kenny Britt: If we got him cheap it is a risk reward signing. Could be similar to Braylon. A change of scenery could help.

4. Riley Cooper: Maybe a one year wonder but he'd be our number one right now. Not thrilled but a huge upgrade.

5. Jerricho Cotchery: I'd love to bring J-Co back. Veteran presence. Has had a nice year. Would be a nice addition back. Probably won't happen see Boldin but I'd be very happy.

6. Eric Decker: Would love him. Not a prima donna. Like Boldin and gamer. Fear he'd be too much and would rather go to a team that has an established qb and a chance to win a Super Bowl. Nice to dream though.

7. Julian Edelman: Be great to take him away from the Patriots. Very similar to Kerley. I think we need bigger 1 and 2 type receivers.

8. Jacoby Jones: I like him but he isn't a game changer.

9. James Jones: I fear if he left Green Bay he wouldn't be the same. He is an interesting player. He has huge games then does nothing for a few weeks. Might benefit from having a great qb. He'd be a huge upgrade but a bit too inconsistent for me. Wouldn't be devastated if we signed him though.

10. Brandon Lafell: Restricted free agent. Much like Jacoby Jones but I like him more. Also much like James Jones not consistent enough.

11. Jeremy Maclin: Coming off injury it scares me. Much like Kerley not huge. That being said he does have speed and is a good wr when healthy. For the right price worth the risk.

12. Emmanuael Sanders: Falls into the Lafell Jones category. I like him. Can change a game but also can not show up. Feel he could become a diva. Wouldn't be upset if we got him but not thrilled.

13. Golden Tate: Really coming into his own this year. A real gamer. Out of all I think he would be the best one for us.

14. Hakeem Nicks: He has Santonio Holmes written all over him. I would love to have him but I think he would wear out his welcome quickly. Thanks but no thanks.

TE:

Pitta and Olson are the only two that would be worth signing. The others are good backups that we could sign on the cheap. Not a great group.

OL: There are so many that could help. It will be interested to see what happens. With Dbrick and Mangold we are ok. The other 3 positions we could sign someone stick with them draft someone etc. There are some that stick out but too much. It's a wait and see approach with this group.

DL: We are good here. Maybe a complimentary player or two but should be ok.

LB: Orapko interests me. Not thrilled with the rest. We truly need a pass rushing linebacker. Guess we'll have to draft one.

DB: Much like tight end and offensive line there are many people out there that would be nice pick ups. There are so many though it's hard to list. Jarius Byrd would be nice but is the money right.

Overall not a great class. There are some nice pieces to be added. Looking at our team we need to add a qb, a wr, maybe oline, a pass rushing linebacker and help in the secondary. We can definitely address the qb, wr, oline and secondary with this group of free agents. We might not get stars but that's not what free agency is about. It's about adding players who can contribute and make you a better team. The draft is where you need to get young stars who you should build around. It will be interesting to see what we do.

All League
    Nice write up. Good thought. But remember Idziks doesnt seem to be a big spender. My guess is a few low budget guys. Maybe one decent splash. One this is for sure though, he wont over spend so I would say we are out for anyone going the first few days.

All League
    Give me Greg Olson, Golden Tate, and use the 1st round pick on a WR

All Pro
    Agree. Tate, Olson, and 1st rounder.

Flynn is pure garbage. Only Cutler would be a consideration and the issue with him is frequent injuries. Kenny Britt? Horrible and his knees are shot. That entire list of offensive side players is horrible. Decker is a nice player but how much of that is the manning factor? Is he all that different from Nelson who we already have? Nicks hasn't been good for a few years but may be worth a flier for short money. In all there isn't much to be excited about in the FA market if that list is accurate.

All League
    1) Throw $20 million over two years at McCown or Vick.
    2) Sign Eric Decker. Decker is a true stud WR. He is complete. He blocks, he's a gamer, and he's a precise route runner.
    3) Draft WR, TE, or QB BAP in rounds 1 and 2.
    4) Look for help at safety and CB. Cro is likely gone.
    5) Institute a more conservative defensive system. The personnel is awesome for a 4-3 zone-based scheme. Coples, Richardson, Harrison, Ellis, Wilkerson is a nice mix with Barnes coming back from the ACL and move Davis to OLB, where he can be used to blitz more, as well.

There's no way Carolina doesn't re-sign Olsen. He's Newton's number 1. I see them cutting Steve Smith before they get rid of Olsen.

Any plan involving Jay Cutler immediately makes me slightly ill. He's Jeff George 2.0.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    1) Throw $20 million over two years at McCown or Vick.
    2) Sign Eric Decker. Decker is a true stud WR. He is complete. He blocks, he's a gamer, and he's a precise route runner.
    3) Draft WR, TE, or QB BAP in rounds 1 and 2.
    4) Look for help at safety and CB. Cro is likely gone.
    5) Institute a more conservative defensive system. The personnel is awesome for a 4-3 zone-based scheme. Coples, Richardson, Harrison, Ellis, Wilkerson is a nice mix with Barnes coming back from the ACL and move Davis to OLB, where he can be used to blitz more, as well.

There's no way Carolina doesn't re-sign Olsen. He's Newton's number 1. I see them cutting Steve Smith before they get rid of Olsen.

Any plan involving Jay Cutler immediately makes me slightly ill. He's Jeff George 2.0.
    Hell No.
    Waste of money/cap.
    Eric Decker is soft & is NOT a #1 WR, which we need. Rather he sign somewhere like OAK so that takes them off the Sammy Watkins list.

Veteran
    Spend Majority of our cap on OLINE & secondary.
    Draft offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Hell No.
    Waste of money/cap.
    Eric Decker is soft & is NOT a #1 WR, which we need. Rather he sign somewhere like OAK so that takes them off the Sammy Watkins list.
    I have a feeling the Falcons are going to ignore the OL and defense and take a WR with their pick. Giants might too. Watkins is never falling to us.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have a feeling the Falcons are going to ignore the OL and defense and take a WR with their pick. Giants might too. Watkins is never falling to us.
    Falcons with Juilo Jones & Roddy White would choose Sammy Watkins over improving their OLINE or defense? OK
    & the Giants would ignore their offensive line issues, among other things, to choose Sammy Watkins when they just broke the bank for Victor Cruz & have WRs ready to step up? OK

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Hell No.
    Waste of money/cap.
    Eric Decker is underrated. Even if he's not a #1, he's the BAP UFA. He's head and shoulders in value over the other options, who will all garner too much of a price tag. Unless you want to roll the dice on Maclin.

Tate is fool's gold. He's equivalent to Kerley, if not slightly worse.