Thread: Heisman Voting: Qualification of voters

JetsInsider.com Legend

Heisman Voting: Qualification of voters

I was listening to Colin Cowherd on the way out yesterday, and he had someone on the show (who I didn't catch the name), but they were talking about the Heisman voting that just went on. Quick background:

Florida State University QB Jameis Winston was voted the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner by a large margin. During the voting process, the voters submit ballots naming their top 3 (for example, Winston received 668 first place votes, 84 second place votes, and 33 third place votes).

Winston ran away with the trophy, however was left off of 115 ballots. The radio dialogue stated that the reason for this was that many of the voters decided that Winston's off the field problems (pending sexual assault charges) were not consistent with being a Heisman Trophy winner.

Do the voters, the majority who have never played college football, have to hold a Heisman Trophy candidate to a higher moral and ethical standard aside from their product on the field? Do these same voters have high moral and ethical standards of conduct, or is it just a hypocritical media boycott in order to make a point?

Winston ultimately did not get charged with sexual assault, but some voters still insist that perhaps a Heisman Trophy winner should be more representative of higher moral and ethical standards.

The questions for discussion that I have are:

1. Should off the field issues preclude players from receiving awards, despite consistently dominant performances on the field?

2. Should voters be allowed to vote without themselves being held to the same high moral and ethical standards that they proclaim these young players to have?

Hall Of Fame
    1. Depends on what the criteria for the award is and I think that is a major problem with these awards. Seems to be a lot left up to interpretation and it is highly subjective.

2. In a perfect world they wouldn't be allowed to but I don't see how this could ever happen. Fixing one issue will just lead to another. Where do you draw the line? How big of a mistake are they allowed to make before they are excluded?

I think common sense should prevail and I think it did this year. Winston was clearly the best college football player in 2013. His team is undefeated and playing for a National Championship. I don't like the idea of vacating awards and championships. Was Reggie Bush the best college football player in 2005? Of course he was.