Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: NFL.com Sound FX comparison: John Harbaugh vs Rex Ryan

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,345

    NFL.com Sound FX comparison: John Harbaugh vs Rex Ryan

    One guy has a defensive mindset having played on that side of the ball as a player as well as having coached defensive backs. This is his first try at head coaching. He has had some initial success with his team including getting to two AFC Championship games that his team lost. His team has been struggling this year due to losing some key players.

    The other guy is Rex Ryan.

    Rex Ryan's Record: 43/39
    Jets Playoff appearances: 2 times in 4 years
    Rex Ryan Super Bowl Guarantees: 3
    Jets Super Bowl Appearances: 0

    John Harbaugh's Regular Season Record: 70/36
    Ravens Playoff appearances: 5 times in 5 years
    John Harbaugh's Super Bowl Guarantees: 0
    Ravens Super Bowl Appearances: 1

    Watch and listen closely to see if you can spot a difference between these two coaches:
    John Harbaugh 2013 Game Audio
    Rex Ryan 2013 Game Audio(on Univision only - the video on NFL.com was removed for some reason.)
    Rex Ryan 2009 Game Audio

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,366
    So it's 1-0 JH. JH had much more to work with all around in almost every way.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,208
    So you're saying Ozzie made the right choice?

  4. #4
    In Ozzie Newsome the Ravens have one of the very best GM's in all of football. So, it's tough to compare.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,932
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    In Ozzie Newsome the Ravens have one of the very best GM's in all of football. So, it's tough to compare.
    I have to say, he might be a great GM, but, recently he has not been a great drafter. Bal drafts since 2009 are pretty comparable to the Jets, really.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,345
    My favorite part of the Ravens video is where Ozzie Newsome gives his players advice about staying up in the snow and then repositions his kick return guy so he can have an explosive return.
    Last edited by jxc; 12-17-2013 at 08:48 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I have to say, he might be a great GM, but, recently he has not been a great drafter. Bal drafts since 2009 are pretty comparable to the Jets, really.
    He hit on the only pick that really matters when he took that strong-armed tall lanky kid out of Delaware at No 18.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,706
    Overall the talent on the ravens has been way better then the Jets for the past five years. With that said the only reason they finally won a superbowl was because there normally middle of the road QB played at an elite level through the playoffs. Also road high off of Ray Lewis final season announcement just before the playoffs.

    The two years that Rex had the talent close to the Ravens we went to two AFC championships.

    Coaches can only do so much without talent

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    I'm not sure the point of this audio.

    If you're trying to say Harbaugh is a better coach because he won a Super Bowl that's a legitimate point. But that audio shows nothing. Five minutes of audio of 3 hour plus games is not really relevant.

    (the idea that Jet coaches in the booth don't have play books with them is worrisome though)

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,345
    I have a decidedly different opinion Señor Fidel Onion.
    What I see is John Harbough actively involved in all three phases. Motivating his players, making adjustments... you know... coaching.

    With Rex Ryan I see a coach that can give two sh*ts what the offense does. How do I know that? Because he literally says that right in the 2009 Wildcard Game video!

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm not sure the point of this audio.

    If you're trying to say Harbaugh is a better coach because he won a Super Bowl that's a legitimate point. But that audio shows nothing. Five minutes of audio of 3 hour plus games is not really relevant.

    (the idea that Jet coaches in the booth don't have play books with them is worrisome though)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So you're saying Ozzie made the right choice?
    He picked the right head coach and drafted a franchise QB. Yeah, I'd say so. Pretty much covers it.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I have a decidedly different opinion Señor Fidel Onion.
    What I see is John Harbough actively involved in all three phases. Motivating his players, making adjustments... you know... coaching.

    With Rex Ryan I see a coach that can give two sh*ts what the offense does. How do I know that? Because he literally says that right in the 2009 Wildcard Game video!
    Based on the video you posted I would agree - but those could have been edited a million different ways. .

    As interesting as it was (and I honestly enjoyed listening - thank you for posting) as mentioned 5 minutes of 3 plus hours proves absolutely zero

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I have to say, he might be a great GM, but, recently he has not been a great drafter. Bal drafts since 2009 are pretty comparable to the Jets, really.
    Elam looked pretty damn good last night! We could use a safety that good!

  14. #14
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    So it's 1-0 JH. JH had much more to work with all around in almost every way.
    Minor details.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us