Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give MM and Geno a year or two and Rex one more year with his defense...

Rookie

Give MM and Geno a year or two and Rex one more year with his defense...

I can't imagine Rex someplace else. Andy Reid got a decade.

He wants to be here.

Keep him.

All League
    It's a results "what have you done for me lately" business, my personal preference is the same as yours, with that said we have to trust our newly appointed GM to make the right call.

Idzik's team, his decision, and if he wants his own coach, he has the right to fire Rex.

Rookie
    Two afc championship games in five years. No Jets coach has ever done that. Our defense was well below average until Rex took over. Get some big badass receivers that can handle Geno's style...and big boys that can protect him.

Marvin Lewis has been given more time.

Hall Of Fame
    Who cares how long other coaches have had. The big problem this year in regards to Rex in my mind has nothing to do with the offense. We thought it would be bad and for large chunks it has been. The problem is that A) he doesn't seem to have learned from past mistakes in a number of areas. B) The defense has been lousy for a lot of the year. Rex Ryan simply does not have enough going for him otherwise if the defense is not great.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    So, we're up to "Geno & Rex, 2015" now.

Anyone care to start a thread demanding we keep Rex and Geno for the full four years, same as Sanchez?

Be sure to use "consistency", "Stabillity", "Patience" and a few other kepwords, of course.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobblingjetster View Post
    Two afc championship games in five years. No Jets coach has ever done that. Our defense was well below average until Rex took over. Get some big badass receivers that can handle Geno's style...and big boys that can protect him.

Marvin Lewis has been given more time.
    History tells us this is a futile and failed philosophy.

Rookie
    Top 12 defense and we have two games to play. Before Rex our defense was bottom third....for decades. One more draft with the GM.

I was never sold on Geno and I'm still not sold on him.

I've been a Rex fan in the past but I am increasingly losing confidence in his abilities. Not so much in the defense but in his overall game planning and ability to keep the team disciplined and focused. I'm not ready to say dump him but I wouldn't feel like this team is dead in the water without him as long as a superior option is available.

Rookie
    for decades

All Pro
    If Rex does stay, he is going to allow them to draft some offensive players high, rather than drafting DL and CB every year.

Rookie
    We could use one more cb...our draft guys don't seem manage "drive". 27 has been terrible.

Veteran
    I feel like we have a very good (not great) and relatively young defence that is going to get better and progress over the next few years. I think if idzik can focus on offense in FA and the draft as much as possible over the next couple years, we may have a window where both sides of the ball are good and in their primes simultaneously. I'd like to see rex and marty retained, and allow them to continue - the offence needs play-makers and time, this was only year 1 of marty's system. I'm not at the rip it all up and start again point yet. Keep Sanchez around, draft another QB and look for a vet, and keep working on the O all the while.

Also I haven't seen this mentioned yet but - if idzik retains rex he gets to keep his get out of jail free card in his pocket, rather than using it now. Keeping rex actually buys idzik some more time, so in a weird way its in his interest to keep rex at least another year. IMO.

Veteran
    Idzik has watched Rex for a year, and I'm confident he's recognized rex's strengths and shortcomings. If he thinks he knows a better candidate then he will go get him. Conversely, if he's sees the team has overachieved, and realizes it's his job to supply the players, then he gives him another year. If you listen to both sides of the debate without getting caught up in agendas, it's easy to see there's no wrong choice here, either can be justified.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Idzik has watched Rex for a year, and I'm confident he's recognized rex's strengths and shortcomings. If he thinks he knows a better candidate then he will go get him. Conversely, if he's sees the team has overachieved, and realizes it's his job to supply the players, then he gives him another year. If you listen to both sides of the debate without getting caught up in agendas, it's easy to see there's no wrong choice here, either can be justified.
    Well said, this is where I fall at this point. If Izdik fires Rex, he's got plenty of evidence to justify it. If he keeps Rex, then it means he knows what the team has and feels another HC would not have gotten more out of this year's roster.

Jets fans should be comfortable with either decision, frankly. I'd like to see Rex get a year or two with a QB that isn't trash, but unfortunately I don't think he's coached well enough to state with confidence that the lack of talent on that side of the ball is the only reason the team isn't winning.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    agree, I'm leaning toward keeping the coaching staff intact for 1more yr, revamp the players on offense and see what the team can do. I would go offensive skill position player in round 1 (WR/TE/RB) I would not spend a round 1 pick on QB or trade up for him. Build up the rest of the O, if Geno still sucks then go for a round 1 Qb in 2015. I'm ok with spending a round 3 or lower on QB in 2014 if they feel he would be a good developmental player.

Practice Squad
    while I'm not making excuses for our defense, it's very tough to judge this Defense with such a poor offense. We're constantly giving other teams good field position and our D is always on the field with all the 3 and outs and turnovers by our offense. The defense will improve just improving the offense!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

He wants to be here.

Keep him.
    This is all about the O, this is a young team and Idzik will weed out the BS, gonna take a couple of years.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

He wants to be here.

Keep him.
    Andy Reid and the Eagles won everything but the big one consistently during his tenure.

Hall Of Fame

He wants to be here.

Keep him.
    Andy Reid and the Eagles won everything but the big one consistently during his tenure.