Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is better than Rex Ryan?

Practice Squad

Who is better than Rex Ryan?

Im fine with firing him if we can hire someone better, but who? OBrien is the top candidate, and he will probably take the Houston job. Bevell also has been mentioned, but is he any better than MM?

Hall Of Fame
    NOT O'Brien. F*** NO!!

Hall Of Fame
    Define better. What is the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Define better. What is the bar?
    I think we can go 6-10 without Ryan.

Hall Of Fame
    Tom Coughlin and the Giants, Mike Shanahan of the Redskins are two SB coaches who are better than Rex Ryan?

Veteran
    You can't take this approach. You don't keep someone who is not getting the job done in your eyes just because you're afraid yuou won't find anyone better. It's like someone who stays with their cheating spouse because they're afraid it's the best they can do.

The decision to fire or keep Rex is going to involve alot of factors. His record is just one of those factors. His philosophy, and how it meshes with Idzik's is another, and probably the most important factor. His status in the locker room will be a factor, ie is his message getting stale.

Ultimately though the decision to keep or fire Rex comes first, then you start looking at candidates to replace him. To do otherwise would be akin to MIA courting Harbaugh while still employing Sparano.

All League
    Most of the coaches in the nfl.

All Pro
    'Tis the season for Christmas lists. And lists of head-coaching candidates.

If Rex Ryan is fired at the end of the season, the New York Jets are sure to have the following names on their radar:

1. Darrell Bevell, Seattle Seahawks, offensive coordinator: After five straight defensive-minded head coaches, the Jets figure to pick an offensive guy to oversee the rebuilding of that side of the ball. Bevell is an obvious candidate because he worked with general manager John Izdik, a former Seahawks executive. Bevell's stock has soared with Russell Wilson's rise to stardom.

2. Ken Whisenhunt, San Diego Chargers, offensive coordinator: Whisenhunt was the Arizona Cardinals' coach from 2007 to 2012, working alongside then-GM Rod Graves, now Idzik's right-hand man in the Jets' front office. He was only 45-51 in Arizona, but he won an NFC Championship. Whisenhunt, who won a Super Bowl ring as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coordinator, has helped revive Philip Rivers' career in San Diego. He's a former Jets player and assistant coach.

3. Greg Roman, San Francisco 49ers, offensive coordinator: Spies say Idzik spent time with Roman at the scouting combine last February. They've never worked together, but Roman is a rising name in the coaching ranks. It helps having Jim Harbaugh as a mentor. Roman grew up in the Atlantic City area.

Smith
    4. Lovie Smith, former Chicago Bears coach: Another name from Idzik's past. Smith was a Tampa Bay Buccaneers assistant coach when Idzik worked in the front office. He had a long run as the Bears' coach (81-63, with one NFC Championship), but he's a defensive-minded coach who has been criticized for not being able to develop an offense.

5. Bill O'Brien, Penn State: Owner Woody Johnson looks down the Turnpike and sees how a former college coach, Chip Kelly, has revived the Philadelphia Eagles with his cutting-edge offense. O'Brien is from the Bill Belichick coaching tree, having spent five years as a New England Patriots assistant.

Talking three non winning seasons + Ryan doesn't develop Offense players

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Fans will give you three reasons Smith, Smith and Smith. The rest of the team played good enough to advance. The D is starting to wear out with all the time they are spending on the field. Sorry but Brady hasn't had much to work with either but he keeps winning. Rex is not a HC too bad we couldn't hold him over as a DC someone else will benefit. I said it before all his political capital was spent on D and the O suffered. I said it last year he ruined everything put in place by Parcells and the result is now 3 non winning seasons in a row something that hasn't occurred since the Kotite years.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Hahaha.......exactly..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Most of the coaches in the nfl.
    Stupid!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    I said it last year he ruined everything put in place by Parcells and the result is now 3 non winning seasons in a row something that hasn't occurred since the Kotite years.
    Parcells hadn't been with the Jets in nearly a decade when Rex took over. Give me a break.

Veteran
    the favorite would have to be anyone from the current Seahawks staff. doesn't necessarily have to be Bevell, though it's a certainty he'll interview. behind closed doors, Idzik may know he's a great coordinator but could be limited to that role. i wouldn't be surprised if Tom Cable got an interview. no coach who works for the Raiders is truly given a fair shot, and he's now coming from a much stronger organization.

one mistake this organization has made with its last two coaches is evident: with Mangini, we tried to be the New York Patriots. with Ryan, we tried to be (until this year) the New York Ravens. Idzik can't allow us to just become the next New York Seahawks or New York 49ers. the best coaches poach from the forest, not the tree.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    'Tis the season for Christmas lists. And lists of head-coaching candidates.

If Rex Ryan is fired at the end of the season, the New York Jets are sure to have the following names on their radar:

1. Darrell Bevell, Seattle Seahawks, offensive coordinator: After five straight defensive-minded head coaches, the Jets figure to pick an offensive guy to oversee the rebuilding of that side of the ball. Bevell is an obvious candidate because he worked with general manager John Izdik, a former Seahawks executive. Bevell's stock has soared with Russell Wilson's rise to stardom.

2. Ken Whisenhunt, San Diego Chargers, offensive coordinator: Whisenhunt was the Arizona Cardinals' coach from 2007 to 2012, working alongside then-GM Rod Graves, now Idzik's right-hand man in the Jets' front office. He was only 45-51 in Arizona, but he won an NFC Championship. Whisenhunt, who won a Super Bowl ring as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coordinator, has helped revive Philip Rivers' career in San Diego. He's a former Jets player and assistant coach.

3. Greg Roman, San Francisco 49ers, offensive coordinator: Spies say Idzik spent time with Roman at the scouting combine last February. They've never worked together, but Roman is a rising name in the coaching ranks. It helps having Jim Harbaugh as a mentor. Roman grew up in the Atlantic City area.

Smith
    4. Lovie Smith, former Chicago Bears coach: Another name from Idzik's past. Smith was a Tampa Bay Buccaneers assistant coach when Idzik worked in the front office. He had a long run as the Bears' coach (81-63, with one NFC Championship), but he's a defensive-minded coach who has been criticized for not being able to develop an offense.

5. Bill O'Brien, Penn State: Owner Woody Johnson looks down the Turnpike and sees how a former college coach, Chip Kelly, has revived the Philadelphia Eagles with his cutting-edge offense. O'Brien is from the Bill Belichick coaching tree, having spent five years as a New England Patriots assistant.
    Give me Bevell, Roman, or O'Brien.

All League
    Rex is a good head coach. the only reason he gets fired, is because Idzik was forced to keep Rex for 1 year and he wants his own Head Coach.

All Pro
    Some might disagree but I think Greg Roman would do a fine job here....,

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Rex is a good head coach. the only reason he gets fired, is because Idzik was forced to keep Rex for 1 year and he wants his own Head Coach.
    Why is he a good HC? Because he's a like able guy?

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Buddy Ryan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My Top 5

1. David Shaw (I'm leaving him on here until he publicly states he has no interest in leaving Stanford)

2. Ken Whisenhunt

3. Bill O'Brien

4. Greg Roman

5. Darrell Bevell

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    My Top 5

1. David Shaw (I'm leaving him on here until he publicly states he has no interest in leaving Stanford)

2. Ken Whisenhunt

3. Bill O'Brien

4. Greg Roman

5. Darrell Bevell
    I am starting to like Whisenhunt more and more. What if the Jets hired Whisenhunt, and then depending on how the draft falls trade up a little if necessary to take Bortles. Bortles is very similar to Roethlisberger, who Ken won a Super Bowl with as OC for the Steelers. Just a thought.