Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Two Weeks The Speculation Ends

All League

In Two Weeks The Speculation Ends

And we'll know whether Idzik stays with Ryan or moves in another direction.
    I've stated my opinion that I would keep Ryan but I would understand if
    Idzik doesn't. But once that's handled I FULLY EXPECT AND BETTER SEE an
    off-season plan that's very active, assertive and executed in a flawless
    manner. Idzik is off "scholarship" come January, he's been here for a
    year and knows exactly what we need and he's going to have 10-12 picks
    and at least 30+ million in cap space. The free agent list is pretty
    attractive and there's no reason why we shouldn't go shopping:

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu.../fa.php?y=2014

QB - Cutler (CHI), Vick (PHI)
    WR - Boldin (SF), Maclin (PHI), Decker (DEN), Jones (GB), Tate (SEA)
    TE - Graham (NO), Olsen (CAR), Pettigrew (DET)
    LB - Orakpo (WAS), Worilds (PIT)
    CB - Verner (TEN), Shields (GB), Talib (NE), Thurmond (SEA)

And if a free agent turns us down we should immediately move on to our
    next target, don't get strung along by an agent. Idzik has been assessing
    everyone this year come January he's on the clock

Veteran
    I'd love to have Graham and Decker...now to find someone to throw them the ball...think..think...think...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'd also like 1st move to be full court press for Graham.

I don't think Cutler or Vick would be the answer

All Pro
    Orakpo, Maclin, Decker, Pettigrew, and Shields.

I would think New England actually goes after Graham, instead of waiting around for Gronk to stay healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    No way NO lets Graham hit FA. He'll be franchised. Vick? Dear gawd no! He can't stay healthy for 2 straight games.

Hall Of Fame
    I would bet that the list of potential free agents looks much different come March when the free agency signing period begins, than it does today.

Hall Of Fame
    WR -- I am not a fan of Decker. Not really in love with any of the free agent WRs. Tate would probably be the one I would target.

TE -- I think Graham can be franchised so I doubt he ends up leaving NO. But you never know. I think Gresham might end up being a bargain.

LB -- Orakpo would be a dream but I think we could go with Pace and Barnes for one more year. Pass rushing OLB can be expensive and with our DL we can get solid production out of average OLBs (see Pace/Barnes)

CB -- I would consider keeping Berry around depending on his knee. Not willing to spend a ton of money at the position b.c IMO there are a handful of guys that are great and he rest are pretty much the same. The great guys cost too much money and our DL should be able to help our secondary.

Also have to think about a long-term deal with Wilk. And we need to get some proven OL help.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRAVIS BICKLE View Post
    I'd love to have Graham and Decker...now to find someone to throw them the ball...think..think...think...
    You have to given Geno a shot with some weapons around him - or at least with guys that practice every week.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

Orakpo, Maclin and Olson would be a nice haul along with some smaller signings for depth.....

But I'm with you KRL......it's time for Idzik to earn his paycheck this offseason.....honeymoon is over...

All League
    I think what the Yankee's are doing is not the way to go, adding older injury prone talent, but we could use some experience at the wide receiver positions badly

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I think what the Yankee's are doing is not the way to go, adding older injury prone talent, but we could use some experience at the wide receiver positions badly
    Totally agree, the draft should be the main source of restocking our team. But there's no reason why
    we shouldn't target some mid 20 year old free agents to supplement what we'll do in the draft

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    A couple of things: We have to spend the money, so if there are upgrades to be made then we should make them. Also, you can't compare the Yankees situation to any other team in professional sports. The Yankees can absorb bad contracts and continue business as usual. Not to mention there is no salary cap. But I understand what you are trying to say about the aging players.

And you can't sign your own players just for the sake of signing them. Sometimes you have to let some of those players go a replace them in the draft. For example Wilkerson is a player I would extend, Kerley isn't. We should be able to replace Kerley in the draft with a much cheaper player. Ideally he is a #3. The Giants let Steve Smith walk and he was a much better player (I know people here love Kerley but it is what it is).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    A couple of things: We have to spend the money, so if there are upgrades to be made then we should make them. Also, you can't compare the Yankees situation to any other team in professional sports. The Yankees can absorb bad contracts and continue business as usual. Not to mention there is no salary cap. But I understand what you are trying to say about the aging players.

And you can't sign your own players just for the sake of signing them. Sometimes you have to let some of those players go a replace them in the draft. For example Wilkerson is a player I would extend, Kerley isn't. We should be able to replace Kerley in the draft with a much cheaper player. Ideally he is a #3. The Giants let Steve Smith walk and he was a much better player (I know people here love Kerley but it is what it is).
    I dont think you have to do anything with Kerley this year, he is still under contract for 2014. It would be wise to lock up Wilkerson now, and most likely he will be the biggest contract the Jets sign this off season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    You have to given Geno a shot with some weapons around him - or at least with guys that practice every week.
    No, I don't think we necessarily do. Geno was a 2nd round pick. Very few if any 2nd round picks get the luxury of a team sticking with him for a long period of time if he is not playing well. We can very easily walk away from Geno and draft a QB this year or sign a FA. We don't owe Geno anything. I'm fine if the FO feels he can be the guy next year and build around him, but no skin off our backs if we move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I dont think you have to do anything with Kerley this year, he is still under contract for 2014. It would be wise to lock up Wilkerson now, and most likely he will be the biggest contract the Jets sign this off season.
    I agree. Extend Wilkerson now and maybe you end up getting a discount. We all saw what happened to Atkins who thankfully got a deal done that was good for both sides before the injury.

I am not saying we should cut Kerley. What I am saying is let him play out his contract and unless he becomes an All Pro in the slot we should try to replace him when the time comes.

Hall Of Fame

In Two Weeks The Speculation Ends

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    No, I don't think we necessarily do. Geno was a 2nd round pick. Very few if any 2nd round picks get the luxury of a team sticking with him for a long period of time if he is not playing well. We can very easily walk away from Geno and draft a QB this year or sign a FA. We don't owe Geno anything. I'm fine if the FO feels he can be the guy next year and build around him, but no skin off our backs if we move on.
    We need to upgrade the offense significantly no matter who we bring in to play QB. No rookie QB would flourish with this roster. The point is we should focus on upgrading around the QB before we focus on finding another QB. Now if a guy the Jets really like falls in their lap then they should take them. But where we are picking we might not end up with a better prospect than Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Unless there is a corner blitz.....then all bets are off

He stinks, dude

Hall Of Fame
    Sorry dud but the guy was extremely raw when he was drafted then he was thrown to the wolves with a bad OL and no receivers. Then Rex did not let some receivers practice with the raw QB. Yet the kid won 6 games and came back in 4 of them and we are to believe you know what u r saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Jets!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

I am fully expecting that this off season will be even more aggravating than this season was. And I am the furthest thing there is from a "SOJF."

All League
    Orakpo, Sheilds and Byrd in FA.

Offense built through the draft, fat chance this will happen but this would be my dream scenario.

I just don't think Idzik will overpay and go mad in free agency.