Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannehill vs Geno

Hall Of Fame

Tannehill vs Geno

Just thinking, other opinions wanted.

Tannehill looks like a pretty good QB. Is he Brees? of Course not.

If Geno could develop into Tannehill, would that be enough?

Said another way, do you think Tannehill can take a solid team deep into the playoffs or to an 11 win season?
    I think he can, with the right surroundings.

Would you take him for a 1st rounder even though we know he is not available.

At what level do we say..OK, this QB is good enough. We clearly are not there yet.

All Pro
    Geno could be a Boomer, McNabb, or Stafford IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Geno could be a Boomer, McNabb, or Stafford IMO.
    I think Geno can be very good and with more experience and a better supporting cast he will open many eyes. The guy came into the NFL very raw and was thrown into the fire immediately. We won 6 games with a horrible cast surrounding him and an OL that was weak and porous. He seems to have the proper mentality to play in NY and he does have an arm.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I think Geno can be very good and with more experience and a better supporting cast he will open many eyes. The guy came into the NFL very raw and was thrown into the fire immediately. We won 6 games with a horrible cast surrounding him and an OL that was weak and porous. He seems to have the proper mentality to play in NY and he does have an arm.

I could come on a corner blitz and sack Geno

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Just thinking, other opinions wanted.

Tannehill looks like a pretty good QB. Is he Brees? of Course not.

If Geno could develop into Tannehill, would that be enough?

Said another way, do you think Tannehill can take a solid team deep into the playoffs or to an 11 win season?
    I think he can, with the right surroundings.

Would you take him for a 1st rounder even though we know he is not available.

At what level do we say..OK, this QB is good enough. We clearly are not there yet.

I'm very impressed with Tannehill. And what has helped him develop so fast is the fact that he's basically running the offense he was familiar with in college. Which was a Pro type offense.

Not the case with Geno. Geno was running a simple shotgun offense at W.Virginia. The transition to taking snaps behind the center. His footwork with 3 and 5 step drops leading into proper throwing mechanics is a difficult transition. While grappling with the intricacies of the WCO...he also has the daunting task all rookie QBs must face...learning to compete against NFL defenses. To make it more difficult for Geno...he has for most of this season a revolving door of WRs-TEs to work with. None of them playmakers.

Geno has the tools to succeed. So IMO, Idzik will commit to Geno for next year. Surround him with some WR-TE talent and an upgraded OL. And with an offseason program of film study and coaching...he should be much improved next year.

what you describe in tannhill is sanchez a qb that can get into the playoffs with a good surrounding cast 11 wins.... I want a qb that can lead a team into the playoffs on his own making those around him better

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    I'm very impressed with Tannehill. And what has helped him develop so fast is the fact that he's basically running the offense he was familiar with in college. Which was a Pro type offense.

Not the case with Geno. Geno was running a simple shotgun offense at W.Virginia. The transition to taking snaps behind the center. His footwork with 3 and 5 step drops leading into proper throwing mechanics is a difficult transition. While grappling with the intricacies of the WCO...he also has the daunting task all rookie QBs must face...learning to compete against NFL defenses. To make it more difficult for Geno...he has for most of this season a revolving door of WRs-TEs to work with. None of them playmakers.

Geno has the tools to succeed. So IMO, Idzik will commit to Geno for next year. Surround him with some WR-TE talent and an upgraded OL. And with an offseason program of film study and coaching...he should be much improved next year.
    I agree with this, and I think this will also be a big part of the reason Rex stays. Right now Rex and MM are probably married to Geno next year, he'll get one more year with some playmakers to see if they can begin to really make a leap forward offensively. This it doesn't happen next year, Idzik will clean house I'm convinced.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    I agree with this, and I think this will also be a big part of the reason Rex stays. Right now Rex and MM are probably married to Geno next year, he'll get one more year with some playmakers to see if they can begin to really make a leap forward offensively. This it doesn't happen next year, Idzik will clean house I'm convinced.
    I could live with this outcome.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Tannehill has been steadily improving since he has played his first game. From the beginning of last year to the end of last year, the beginning of this year to now - He has been improving as a QB, as a leader.

Geno doesn't show the same improvement. He looks like he's starting his first game ever, every game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Tannehill has been steadily improving since he has played his first game. From the beginning of last year to the end of last year, the beginning of this year to now - He has been improving as a QB, as a leader.

Geno doesn't show the same improvement. He looks like he's starting his first game ever, every game.
    i dont know what you see in tannehill that makes you so gung ho on him. I think he has been the most sacked Qb in the nfl since he arrived. Not a quick decision maker or big time player yet. They have a dam good defense and we should go after grimes hard in free agency.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    i dont know what you see in tannehill that makes you so gung ho on him. I think he has been the most sacked Qb in the nfl since he arrived. Not a quick decision maker or big time player yet. They have a dam good defense and we should go after grimes hard in free agency.
    I didn't say Tannehill is Marino 2.0, but the guy has steadily improved since day 1.

Geno hasn't improved. And at this point, D coordinators aren't losing sleep planning for him.

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't say Tannehill is Marino 2.0, but the guy has steadily improved since day 1.

Geno hasn't improved. And at this point, D coordinators aren't losing sleep planning for him.
    I disagree in one sense. Last two games, he has started to use his legs more to gain yards. That is going to throw a wrinkle into any defensive plan. That plus the return of Kerley has sparked the Jets offense.

They've scored 57 points in the last 2 weeks, including 20 against one of the best defenses in the NFL

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I disagree in one sense. Last two games, he has started to use his legs more to gain yards. That is going to throw a wrinkle into any defensive plan. That plus the return of Kerley has sparked the Jets offense.

They've scored 57 points in the last 2 weeks, including 20 against one of the best defenses in the NFL
    We'll see. I still don't believe it. I think he's barely improved since Game 1 or 2. We'll see Sunday and next Sunday.

All Pro
    I like Tannehill a lot. The guy plays behind a patchwork oline and his offense is not an easy one to thrive in. Like Sanchez he only started one year, but even more impressive was that he was a wr most of the time in college. Last year he had no weapons and this year he has the weapons but no oline.

This year Geno was the recipient of less than stellar line play and very little in receiver support. Like Tannehill they both started because Garrard could not answer the bell. I see a lot of jet posters wanting the team to go heavily WR/TE in the draft. I think the jets should go the vet route and maybe just draft one guy. Look at the problems Brady had with a bunch of rookies when Gronk and Amendola was hurt. To put a kid in that position is asking for trouble.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I like Tannehill a lot. The guy plays behind a patchwork oline and his offense is not an easy one to thrive in. Like Sanchez he only started one year, but even more impressive was that he was a wr most of the time in college. Last year he had no weapons and this year he has the weapons but no oline.

This year Geno was the recipient of less than stellar line play and very little in receiver support. Like Tannehill they both started because Garrard could not answer the bell. I see a lot of jet posters wanting the team to go heavily WR/TE in the draft. I think the jets should go the vet route and maybe just draft one guy. Look at the problems Brady had with a bunch of rookies when Gronk and Amendola was hurt. To put a kid in that position is asking for trouble.
    Yes. You're right, to add to Tannehill is the fact that his o-line isn't full strength, which was weak to begin with.

We'll see. I'd like to bring QBs in to put pressure on Geno. If he steps up, great. If the other guys outplay him, then they play.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes. You're right, to add to Tannehill is the fact that his o-line isn't full strength, which was weak to begin with.

We'll see. I'd like to bring QBs in to put pressure on Geno. If he steps up, great. If the other guys outplay him, then they play.
    Should have Never let Drew Stanton get away......

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post

That's the big difference. And his college coach is his OC. Makes for a smooth transition.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    Completely agree on this. A lot of Dolfans are down on him considering he was a 6th overall pick. Yes, he has some ok games against teams with bad secondaries, but he is simply awful with downfield accuracy.

All League
    Yes of course. Duh. 6-10 it is.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Should have Never let Drew Stanton get away......
    Still paying for the Tebow debacle last year. Although this is a new regime and with Luck in Indy Stanton knows he's never getting a real shot to play, for a lifelong backup with potential like Stanton the Jets could be a real attractive option just because there's real potential to start here.