Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've seen a West Coast Offense. This is not a West Coast Offense

All League

I've seen a West Coast Offense. This is not a West Coast Offense

I always get pissed when people call this marty mornhenweig system a "West Coast Offense." WCO is predicated on short, high percentage passes which are basically extended handoff. there's also a lot of play action under center. In 2002 under Paul Hackett this was a west coast offense. The 1980/90s 49ers were a west coast offense. Heck even Brett Favre in the 90s was schematically a west coast offense.
    Marty M. basically invented his own style of offense and is calling it something it's not.
    The Jets offense has 1 formation right now: shotgun. It really limits our capabilities when the only thing Geno can do is line up in the shotgun. If Geno can't play under center then he shouldn't be in there. It's that simple.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Ours is more of Mediterranean coast offense.

Hall Of Fame
    We run an African Coast Attack.

All League
    The Wright Brothers Air Raid

All Pro
    our offense is of the "chuck and duck" variety......

Hall Of Fame
    Are you calling out a MOD or have you been to San Francisco?

All League
    He has clearly tailored this offense to the QB he has. Unfortunately the QB has been unable to execute at even the basic level.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I always get pissed when people call this marty mornhenweig system a "West Coast Offense." WCO is predicated on short, high percentage passes which are basically extended handoff. there's also a lot of play action under center. In 2002 under Paul Hackett this was a west coast offense. The 1980/90s 49ers were a west coast offense. Heck even Brett Favre in the 90s was schematically a west coast offense.
    Marty M. basically invented his own style of offense and is calling it something it's not.
    The Jets offense has 1 formation right now: shotgun. It really limits our capabilities when the only thing Geno can do is line up in the shotgun. If Geno can't play under center then he shouldn't be in there. It's that simple.
    You should call up MM and give him the benefit of your wisdom and usual condemnation of Geno. Do you think Rex might have had a say in what type offense MM runs?

All League
    To be fair Geno did line up under center like 2 or 3 times in the last game. I was shocked! May have been the first time all year.

All League
    You're right, a true WCO uses ZERO shotgun. Smith is not capable at this point in taking the ball from center on every snap let alone use the play action.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    He has clearly tailored this offense to the QB he has. Unfortunately the QB has been unable to execute at even the basic level.
    We have a QB on our roster?

He can't play under center any better than tebow. He just hasn't done it. He is a shotgun one read QB.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    In Marty I trust.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Lol.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Has a QB ever taken deeper 7 step drops than Geno?

All League
    MM offensive scheme is most certainly an adaption of the original WCO. No one runs the actual WCO anymore, Andy Reid is the closest, but his route combos, QB drops, and running game all have ties to that original scheme.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 12-21-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Has a QB ever taken deeper 7 step drops than Geno?
    7 step drop... Avoid the rush by dropping an additional 7 steps.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    It is rather reminiscent of a Somali pirate raid

All League
    He doesn't have the players to run the WCO. No real receiving threat out of the backfeild. WCO is about timing with your receivers, and he hasn't had enough work with them to be successful.Not to mention quality at the position.

All Pro
    MM has tailored the offense for Geno. Which is what a good coach should do. As Geno develops, you'll see more and more of the offense run from under center.

This is actually something that started in Philly when Foles became the starter. Foles played in a shotgun heavy offense at Arizona, so the Eagles used a lot more shotgun after he took over for Vick to make things more comfortable for him.