Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geno's character

Banned

Geno's character

Really good story by Mehta in the Daily News about the report before the draft attacking Geno's character and work ethic.

There was plenty of time for the real Geno Smith to reveal himself, the Geno Smith that we read about, the Geno Smith who helplessly sat in the green room at Radio City Music Hall as it emptied on draft night.

Smith’s supposed character flaws were detailed in a scathing scouting report from Pro Football Weekly analyst Nolan Nawrocki that preceded his fall out of the first round last April.

1) Marginal work ethic
    2) Does not command respect from teammates
    3) Cannot inspire
    4) Cannot handle coaching

“All of that stuff didn’t mean anything to me, because it’s came from a person that didn’t really know me,” Smith told the Daily News this week regarding the PFW report. “Anyone can have an opinion of you. I’ve never let it affect me and I never will. . . . Not everyone’s going to like you. So, I’m not going to sit here and waste my time or effort over something that’s being said by one person.”

Smith’s persona was created for many in that report, a neatly packaged analysis of the former West Virginia star quarterback’s prospects. Surely, it would only be a matter of time before that Geno Smith came to life on the field and in the locker room.

The Jets’ offseason workouts came and went without incident. Just wait until he hits adversity in training camp and the regular season, I heard. That’s when you’ll see the kid’s true colors.

Smith was quiet, confident and respectful during training camp. His teammates routinely praised his work ethic. He cared, they said.
    Smith hasn’t exhibited any of the personal characteristics depicted in that report.

“I see the antithesis of that,” assistant head coach Anthony Lynn told The News. “He’s been a hard worker, very coachable, very demanding of his teammates, which is hard to do when you haven’t done it yet. He has a lot of confidence. I see a young quarterback on the rise.”

Smith has technical shortcomings in his game that have turned his rookie season into a maddening see-saw. Although Smith has made important strides transitioning from West Virginia’s spread system to Marty Mornhinweg’s timing-and-precision based West Coast Offense, he admittedly still has plenty to learn. His future as the Jets’ starting quarterback beyond this season is up in the air.

The inaccurate character portrayal, however, was particularly disturbing. There isn’t a hint of arrogance or poor work habits.

“I don’t see any of those things that these people have said,” backup quarterback Matt Simms said. “I’ve been extremely impressed by the way that he’s worked. He’s been a tremendous teammate. ... I’ve got nothing but respect for the man.”

Smith still downplays the predraft chatter that may have contributed his fall to the second round. Nawrocki has an established reputation as a thorough draft analyst, but I simply haven’t seen Smith as a player who is “not committed or focused,” as his report suggested. If there were any character red flags his freshman year at West Virginia, for example, there’s no evidence of them today.

Smith has been remarkably comfortable in the media crucible. “Before anything else, before football,” rookie defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson said, “Geno’s a good person.”

“It’s just in me,” Smith said of controlling his emotions. “If it was a façade, I think guys would recognize that. I’m just being myself on a daily basis. I don’t worry about the perception of me outside the building because it really doesn’t matter. The guys in here understand what I’m about and who I am.”

Smith maintained that he didn’t feel additional pressure to prove to Jets teammates that he was a different person than what they may have heard before he arrived.

“I judge guys based on my interactions and what I see rather than what (the media) writes,” veteran center Nick Mangold said. “Everyone that comes through these doors gets a fair shake with me. Respect is earned. It’s shown by what you do and how you carry yourself. I think he earned that level of respect early on by getting in his playbook and continually learning.”

Smith’s quiet demeanor is easy to misinterpret, but teammates say he became more demonstrative throughout the season.

He didn’t splinter after his three-interception, fourth-quarter meltdown in Week 2 against the Patriots. He handled the fallout from his four-turnover calamity in Tennessee like a 10-year pro. He was unflappable after his halftime benching against the Dolphins a few weeks ago.
    He’s always been the same guy.

“With the game we play and all the pressure that’s put on us,” Smith said, “you can let it affect you to the point where you can change who you are. I promised my mom — I promised my family —that I’d never let the game change me. That’s something I’m sticking to.”

Maybe he’ll become a star in the NFL. Maybe he’ll be a career backup.

But it’s impossible not to be impressed by the real Geno Smith.

twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Hall Of Fame
    *Checks to see if Brick City made this thread*

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    *Checks to see if Brick City made this thread*
    Since Brick City got banned for abusive language towards VTN, checks to see that this poster just registered and this is his first post.

Really good story by Mehta in the Daily News
    Ha ha ha ha

All Pro
    Manish "BrickCity" is back.

I agree with the content of the post. Geno has displayed nothing but great character. He can't be attacked from that angle the way he was last spring.

That said, Manish is till a major douche bag.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Since Brick City got banned for abusive language towards VTN, checks to see that this poster just registered and this is his first post.

Ha ha ha ha
    You're like a young Colombo...but female,obviously....and presumably prettier
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 12-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Manish "BrickCity" is back.

I agree with the content of the post. Geno has displayed nothing but great character. He can't be attacked from that angle the way he was last spring.

That said, Manish is till a major douche bag.
    agree,seems like a class kid and you so want him to succeed.....mind you I can say exactly the same about Sanchez and Pennington before him.

Maybe we need a pr!ck at QB if we're ever to go furth

All Pro
    I'll admit I was dead wrong about his attitude. Overall I like what he has brought here. You can really see that there is a pro QB in there. I never expected that. Maybe it has been 4 years under Mark and a few blah years under Chad and Farve. I really feel he has the team on his side. He does give you reason to believe in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'll admit I was dead wrong about his attitude. Overall I like what he has brought here. You can really see that there is a pro QB in there. I never expected that. Maybe it has been 4 years under Mark and a few blah years under Chad and Farve. I really feel he has the team on his side. He does give you reason to believe in the game.
    LMAO, You can really see that there is a pro QB in there??????????????????????????????? What are you smoking?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    You're like a young Colombo...but female,obviously....and presumably prettier
    LOL. Low bar, but yeah I can cross it.

Hall Of Fame
    WOW Mannish, you are a pathetic weasel!

Banned
    I like his attitude. Good to hear those things about him weren't true.

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks for the insight, Manish's Mother's Nutsack.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    LMAO, You can really see that there is a pro QB in there??????????????????????????????? What are you smoking?
    He's starting on an NFL team and getting paid...he is by any definition a pro QB.

Veteran
    So what. He still sucks. If he continues to work real hard. Maybe he will be slightly below average someday. I say get rid of him

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I wonder how they ban here. If it's username or IP address.

Anyway, we should start posting Mehta's address in NJ.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Hell yeah! Let's all send him "presents!"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Hell yeah! Let's all send him "presents!"
    I was kidding, of course.

Hall Of Fame
    We'll there's a flaming bag of dog-shlt on his porch now.

Oh wait, that's just one of his "articles"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

It's by username. I don't think we mods have the power to ban IPs (I think only Sooth can).

We can, however, cross-reference IP addresses.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    It's by username. I don't think we mods have the power to ban IPs (I think only Sooth can).

We can, however, cross-reference IP addresses.